Quantcast

Specialized BIG news! VERY Interesting....

jesusgatos

Chimp
Jan 29, 2006
Bend, Oregon
binary visions said:
I'd like to see some numbers on how much the extra 5mm on the axle adds. If the 25% increase in diameter added a 25% increase in stiffness, I'm all for it, but I just have a tough time believing that it does.
I'm pretty sure that increasing the diameter of the through axle by 25% would actually increase the stiffness by MORE than 25% if they were similar in every other respect.

jesusgatos

Chimp
Jan 29, 2006
Bend, Oregon
Of all the things to pick apart, I really don't see what's so bad about an integrated stem. They just eliminated the hardware that the older bolt-on stems used to make it stronger and lighter. I imagine that most shops would allow you to exchange the stem on a new bike for a different length and I really don't see it adding too much to the cost (compared to a high-end stem) anyway. Just like everyone else though, I'm skeptical anytime parts become too proprietary.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sbabuser said:
Meh, I'll be impressed when they start making their own derailleurs...
Looks like they're taking the C'dale approach to innovation - make it so their stuff isn't compatible with anyone elses for a meager amount of performance benefit. A dual crown for 150mm of travel? Don't they know that that's singlecrown territory now? But I guess with a singlecrown you don't get the Specialized DTRL (Deluxe Turning Radius Limiter), eh?
The lightest 6 inch fork on the market is a dual crown

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
jesusgatos said:
I imagine that most shops would allow you to exchange the stem on a new bike for a different length and I really don't see it adding too much to the cost (compared to a high-end stem) anyway.
You'd think this would be the case when you bought a $1600 Dh fork as well, but it isn't.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Transcend said:
And has a lousy turning radius.
You know that from experience? I have never been on a trail where restricted turning radius was EVER an issue. I did a whole series of hairpins last night with no issues at all.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
bjanga said:
One step closer to Cannondale . . .
I'm telling you guys, they should make motorcycles next.

I wonder how much they have invested in this crap?

One of two things will happen...

A) The masses will eat it up (like they tend to do with S crap)

or

B) It will fail. Miserably. Probably not Specializeds death knell. Depends on how much they bank on it in coming years.

I think they're overextending themselves. Cannondale is able to pull off their own suspension products because they started making them when bicycle suspension was fairly young, and they currently use other companies damping systems and internals (Fox and Manitous).

Specialized is branching out into a very established suspension market with numerous heavy hitting competitors, their own internals, and multiple proprietary parts (You could've said this was coming when you looked at the Demo shock mounts). A smaller company (eg, Maverick) can get away with this, as they cater to such a limited market...I don't think Specialized can. Stupid idea, IMHO, but I'm not a market expert. We'll see what happens.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BeerDemon said:
You know that from experience? I have never been on a trail where restricted turning radius was EVER an issue. I did a whole series of hairpins last night with no issues at all.
I have, tight, steep switchbacks with a fork you cant get around suck.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
screw the suspension, they had better fire Helen Keller from the design dept.........cause that frame is fugly.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Transcend said:
I have, tight, steep switchbacks with a fork you cant get around suck.
Not sure how the turning radius is on a Mav, but I know my Dorado can't get around some tighter switchbacks around here.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
jesusgatos said:
Of all the things to pick apart, I really don't see what's so bad about an integrated stem. They just eliminated the hardware that the older bolt-on stems used to make it stronger and lighter. I imagine that most shops would allow you to exchange the stem on a new bike for a different length and I really don't see it adding too much to the cost (compared to a high-end stem) anyway. Just like everyone else though, I'm skeptical anytime parts become too proprietary.
Sure. Could you order me a 100mm, 0 degree rise, 31.8 stem for my DUC32?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
You can't knock Specialized for creating and pushing the envelope of bicycles. The Enduro I think (these last couple of years with the redesigned ones) really hit that mark well. Why they changed it I dunno, but a SX Trail is my dream bike (well custom ofcourse :))

But yeah, that bike is probably $7000 (hell XO and XTR?) it ain't gonna be cheap. I know they are doing alot with Carbon as well so who knows what will come out into production.

I don't like the idea of producing their own forks. I thought Fox was doing fine with them but to see them have their own branded stuff is great and all, but not forks. It's like Marzocchi making tires.........they are good at suspension and suck at tires. Specialized probably has some help in the suspension department from someone as most of their names for suspension tech. is Fox'esque.

I doubt they'll pull a Cannondale and make moto's. That really took a toll on their company and I doubt we'll ever see something that stupid with the way the economy is right now.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
"The masses will eat it up (like they tend to do with S crap)
"!??!?! Come on Blue, have you looked at the quality of stuff the big S puts out? Top notch in my opinion. The build and quality rivals the best hand made in the US stuff from boutique makers. I give credit for them testing the waters.
The only thing I don't like about it is the DC...if the turning radius is good though, then I love it.
I think what I like most about it is that all the e-specs were dead wrong is saying the suspension was just rebranded stuff.

jesusgatos

Chimp
Jan 29, 2006
Bend, Oregon
Transcend said:
I wouldn't. Do you know how much inventory they'd have to keep and start selling individual parts?

Not gonna happen.
They're making forks and shocks, so selling individual parts is a given (it's not like last time around when they just used RockShox internals). Besides, what's so complicated about shops stocking stems in a few different lengths and rises? I just don't see what the big deal is.

Does anyone know more about the 'Spike Valve' they're crediting McAndrews with developing?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ragin-sagin said:
"The masses will eat it up (like they tend to do with S crap)
"!??!?! Come on Blue, have you looked at the quality of stuff the big S puts out? Top notch in my opinion. The build and quality rivals the best hand made in the US stuff from boutique makers. I give credit for them testing the waters.
The only thing I don't like about it is the DC...if the turning radius is good though, then I love it.
I think what I like most about it is that all the e-specs were dead wrong is saying the suspension was just rebranded stuff.
I know what they make is high quality, I've seen it all, not bashing them for that. I don't appreciate their business practices, which seem to be following lockstep with a large evil in a different industry, Microsoft, and to a far lesser extent, Shimano (although Shimano's recent ****ups seem to have taken a huge chunk out of their high-end MTB market share).

The fork is definently their own creation, and the shock on the Epic looks that way too, but the shock on the Enduro looks a LOT like an RP3. They may have just not had their own shock ready for the photo shoot, I dunno.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
jesusgatos said:
They're making forks and shocks, so selling individual parts is a given (it's not like last time around when they just used RockShox internals). Besides, what's so complicated about shops stocking stems in a few different lengths and rises? I just don't see what the big deal is.
not nessecarily a given. It's not so much the complication as the cost, a cost carried by the dealer not the manufacturer. Inventory costs money, money that could be better served in other areas than sitting on a shelf waiting for the off chance that someone will purchase the bike and want a different upper, one of the myriad sizes available that you can't be sure of till the consumer has ridden and been sized up to the bike. It's likely that if you don't have one on hand it will take at least a week to get, meaning dealers would be required to carry parts that cost heavily and aren't garrenteed to sell.

jesusgatos

Chimp
Jan 29, 2006
Bend, Oregon
noname said:
not nessecarily a given. It's not so much the complication as the cost, a cost carried by the dealer not the manufacturer. Inventory costs money, money that could be better served in other areas than sitting on a shelf waiting for the off chance that someone will purchase the bike and want a different upper, one of the myriad sizes available that you can't be sure of till the consumer has ridden and been sized up to the bike. It's likely that if you don't have one on hand it will take at least a week to get, meaning dealers would be required to carry parts that cost heavily and aren't garrenteed to sell.
I understand. All I was saying is that I'm guessing a variety of lengths/rises will be available and the expense to inventory those stems shouldn't be THAT much more than keeping other high-end stems in-stock (as long as the big S doesn't decide to charge top dollar for their proprietary parts...). Every shop I've ever worked at kept an ass-load of different stems in stock to suit different customers needs.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
jesusgatos said:
I'm surprise nobody has mentioned the non-interrupted seat tube. I think that's one of the best things the new frame has going for it.
It has a bend half way down, which would only give it about 4" of adjustment...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
jesusgatos said:
I'm surprise nobody has mentioned the non-interrupted seat tube. I think that's one of the best things the new frame has going for it.
Might be non-interrupted but it's still bent right below the rocker pivot...
But hey, it's still an improvement over the 2-inch adjustment range of older models. You'd think in this day and age that companies would realize the advantage of a full length seattube...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
jesusgatos said:
Does anyone know more about the 'Spike Valve' they're crediting McAndrews with developing?
It's a marketing term, one of those things that specialized is so good at.

jesusgatos

Chimp
Jan 29, 2006
Bend, Oregon
There was just a little more specific information provided about how they improved the Brain shock (hydraulically manipulating the Inertia Valve). Was hoping someone knew a little more about what's going on up front.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Jimmy_Pop said:
One part of me says hell no to an inhouse OEM shock/fork. Then again, specialized makes great, fringe parts. I love their tires, clothing, helmets ETC. If anybody could pull this off, they can. But i suspect that in the end, the parts whore in me will never ride an OEM built bike.

joel

shoes!!!!

speczed makes sick shoes too

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
noname said:
Agreed, a shop should not have to carry all that crap, and even if they did carry say from a 5 to an 11 stem, the one bike with that fork you sell the guy will want something like a 12. The shop should not have to carry that cost. What specialized should do is when the costomer buys the bike they should take send a new stem in the size the costomer wants. O and specialized does not take a week to ship, they are typicly 2 days for them to get something to a dealer

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
jesusgatos said:
I understand. All I was saying is that I'm guessing a variety of lengths/rises will be available and the expense to inventory those stems shouldn't be THAT much more than keeping other high-end stems in-stock (as long as the big S doesn't decide to charge top dollar for their proprietary parts...). Every shop I've ever worked at kept an ass-load of different stems in stock to suit different customers needs.
It may be that they wont cost more to keep in stock as other nice stems, BUT they only work with 1 bike.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
all i know is that my dads duc is still kicking even after 3 years and still feels amazing while being uber light and stiff as hell