Quantcast

Specialized drops their gravity race program

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I know loyalty is coming from somewhere when it comes to Santa Cruz. At Windrock on Saturday, it was just retarded how many V10's of every possible color combination were hanging around that parking lot. It was amazing.

Best of all...I finally saw people riding V-10's someplace they would get full travel.... :sneaky:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Running a race program can be expensive but it doesn;t have to be......sponsor world cup racers with a rack of of bikes and give them 10K-15K flat out and tell them to be on their way. Don;t get involved in managing them and all that nonsense, let them manage themselves......they should be able to get some decent riders.....

OR

Start a junior National team......this might be more complicated with kids involved though....but could give them a nice profile if done right.

Either way putting spnsored riders out there could be a drop in the bucket....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Um they are a bike company. A multinational. They are in BUSINESS to make money. They aren't some non profit, utopian think tank. Why can't 90% of the bike industry figure this out?
Keep in mind the other side of Specialized's sponsorship, road bikes. They recently signed a deal with QuickStep, who has the last two World Champions, Bettini and Boonen.

Sponsoring a top level Euro pro team is an enormous expense. Every rider (usually 25 on a squad) has at least 3 bikes, the top guys 10+. Trucks, buses, warehouses, soigneurs, mechanics, pr people, and the salaries of the best road racers in the world.

But Bettini and Boonen are on the front page of L'Equipe, Gazzetta dello Sport, and every other major sporting newspaper (not cycling publication) outside America. Frankly, even Hill, Jonnier, Kintner, and Prokop do not rate as much publicity as Boonen.

One could argue that the expenditure for Iron Horse has a better return than Specialized's enonmous outlay for Quickstep. But one podium during a Spring Classic or a Tour stage will be better advertising than the 4x team.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Either way, that's a ton of money for a small company. Especially versus sponsorsing smaller teams, giving 10 medium fast guys bikes (which is less than 15k at their cost) and saying go to town. The added bonus is those fast but not top 5 guys are usually friends with other guys their speed, or kids around town who actually buy bikes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Keep in mind the other side of Specialized's sponsorship, road bikes. They recently signed a deal with QuickStep, who has the last two World Champions, Bettini and Boonen.

Sponsoring a top level Euro pro team is an enormous expense. Every rider (usually 25 on a squad) has at least 3 bikes, the top guys 10+. Trucks, buses, warehouses, soigneurs, mechanics, pr people, and the salaries of the best road racers in the world.

But Bettini and Boonen are on the front page of L'Equipe, Gazzetta dello Sport, and every other major sporting newspaper (not cycling publication) outside America. Frankly, even Hill, Jonnier, Kintner, and Prokop do not rate as much publicity as Boonen.

One could argue that the expenditure for Iron Horse has a better return than Specialized's enonmous outlay for Quickstep. But one podium during a Spring Classic or a Tour stage will be better advertising than the 4x team.
When I said bike industry, I meant MTB industry. Of course you are right. The MTB industry is a joke in general when it comes to numbers. Sponsoring a team in a niche part of a niche sport doesn't really make sense for someone with their clout.

Not sure i agree on the return though. Iron horse has all of their eggs in one basket so to speak (MTBs). Sure they make a few road bikes, but I doubt we will ever see a tour team on them. There is a MUCH larger market out there, and specialized has gained prestige in the road market through sponsoring big name peloton riders, not Kyle Strait. That's what it takes to make it in that sport. The investment is high, but so is the return. Look at what Trek has gained with it's dollars spent on lance. They rode the lance wave all the way to the bank.

Bad Ronald

Chimp
Jun 30, 2005
Danbury, CT
...and now that lance is gone, their sales are plummeting. As for Specialized that team is costing them at least 6 million a year with a minimum of two year commitment. That is twelve million they need to come up with above and beyond what they spend on all their other marketing expendatures. I don't know if they dropped their other pro-tour team or not however I can bet it was not costing them nearly what quick step will. That being said, those huge expenses will suck up any other failing / not popular / no return / little return expenses that they currently have. Every penny counts even for a half a billion dollar company like Specialized.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
...and now that lance is gone, their sales are plummeting. As for Specialized that team is costing them at least 6 million a year with a minimum of two year commitment. That is twelve million they need to come up with above and beyond what they spend on all their other marketing expendatures. I don't know if they dropped their other pro-tour team or not however I can bet it was not costing them nearly what quick step will. That being said, those huge expenses will suck up any other failing / not popular / no return / little return expenses that they currently have. Every penny counts even for a half a billion dollar company like Specialized.
Only the market they invested in is paying off for them. Numbers from the oh my god lance won another one are down, but overall, numbers are still way up. This is especially true in north america, where cycling numbers in general, have risen dramatically due to postal/discovery.

Like it or not, the mountain bike scene is a complete farce when compared with the road realm. The gravity scene is even more laughable. They don't make any money off of high end mountain bikes. It just doesn't happen. Promoting the sale of such bikes with $30 000 or $250 000 (depending on the team) is pointless if you have other, more profitable arms of the sport to invest it.

Comparing road to downhill is like apples to oranges. Really bad oranges that taste bad and no one wants to eat but maybe someone will use for decorations vs really yummy, crispy, juicy apples.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I don't think it has a thing to do with the company specificly. I think it is entirely in the passion, focus and the devotion of the person/people in charge of sponsorship.

Sponsorship coordinator's jobs are among the most talent diverse of any job. Potential to achieve is virtually limitless and yet self-limited by your skillset.

You can't tell me for 1 second that if Specialized had Martin Whitley on their staff as the sponsorship head, they wouldn't have a top tier racing team?

A race team is not the sole responsibility of the company making the bike. It's a coordinated, cash investment that is backed by a financeer outside of cycling, if not multiple financeers. If you have someone like Whitley in your company, they go out and draw in cash sponsors and tie together companies with similar advertising interests. They then coordinate all these companies and unite them under 1 strategic advertising umbrella that has a sole purpose of exposing their similar product lines in an environment condusive to supporting their common goals.

Guys like Whitley see the big picture, can sell it to outside sources in a manner they understand, gives them valid (or really BS'es) reasons to back the project...then makes it happen.

NASCAR is successful because back in the old days when it first hit TV, the team owners cross marketed, developed a formula for getting sponsors and giving a tangible or even a "feel-good" return on the investment...and look at what you have now.

If you have a person in your company who wants to put on a race team bad enough, they can make it happen without the bike company even having to drop a dime on the team. They can literally make it happen. But we don't have many of those characters in our industry. Whitley is the exception rather than the rule in our sport...whereas in every other sport...there is a Whitle around every corner and behind every team.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You don't see too many outside financed teams in this sport butch. You know as well as I do that 90% of the teams out there are now sponsored solely by the frame manufacturer (or at least a very large part of it). The days of BMW, Hyundai, Mountain Dew etc are over for the forseeable future at the very least.

It isn't because no one wants to try, it is because the "whoa extreme!" interest in the sport is gone.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I fail to believe that the money is gone. Marketing is painting a picture and "bending the lens" when it comes to quoting demographics. For whatever reason, in our industry, at some point it became acceptable to stop selling the rest of the world on what we do.

USA Cycling sold OLN on the idea of MTB by using marketing pitches.
OLN sold advertisers MTB using marketing pitches.
Advertisers turned around and sold the consumer MTB's using marketing pitches.

I sincerely doubt that anyone of tremendous substance and persevance out there has put in the time, money, effort and creative forethought that was put into those efforts back in the day.

I, of course, realize we are NOT the hot demographic...but that is because we have given up pitching ourselves. My view.
All are welcome to disagree...but I'll think I'm right anyway....

Running a race program can be expensive but it doesn;t have to be......sponsor world cup racers with a rack of of bikes and give them 10K-15K flat out and tell them to be on their way. Don;t get involved in managing them and all that nonsense, let them manage themselves......they should be able to get some decent riders.....
yeah but what about mechanics and pit space....you can't just be handed a bike some money and be expected to kill it at WCs all year long wihtout support....look at Kathy Pruitt...that was her deal this year, no mechanic, no support, and she wasnt near where she was last year. and talking to her it is becuase she didnt have the support. especially in a sport like DH you need to have at least a mechanic. also 10k for a year is not going to cover the expenses of flying to europe twice in a year, travel around the US, pay for food, pay for your week of lodging at each event. hell that isnt even likely to cover your lodging along for a season of WCs. so it isnt a cheap endeavour to put someone out on the WC for a year

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Only ESPN OWNS the x games. It isn't an outside entity being shown to atract viewers, to attract advertisers, to make money.

ESPN is cashing in on that brand in other ways.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's not bottom line driven all the time.

Racing on all levels has an element of passion, its just not a business decision.
You don't get it. Specialized isn't about racing. They are a multinational, and are all about profits.

Sure, some people there may be into racing etc, but when it comes down to the end of the day, the big wigs are responsible for turning big figures, not for turning in podiums. Specialized is like a revolving door when it comes to being an employer. I work with them fairly frequently on things, and i have NEVER yet dealt with the same project manager twice. It is insane.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Look at where the future lies. It ain't in racing. The kids are into freeriding, hucking, street, and downhill in general, but not so much the racing. Looks like Specialized is going in that direction, which is just fine. If that works for them, cool.
From a business perspective, it makes sense that they chase the latest trend.

But, if someone is interested in DH racing and if the future looks bleak as you put it, then it makes sense to support a company that is investing and trying to keep the sport alive - especially if their products are just as good or better.

I have 2 Spec that I love, including my SXT, but I'll probably get a Sunday this year for my DH bike.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
You don't get it. Specialized isn't about racing. They are a multinational, and are all about profits./QUOTE]

You're right. Specialized isn't about racing. But Cant Climb does get it. It's not always about a business decision. For Specialized it is, but not for everyone.

Look at the Euro Pro Tour and Continental teams. Some of them are sponsored by companies whose owner is doing it out of passion and not just business. Phonak was one example. The old Mapei team was another. Squinzi (sp) from Mapei has said in many interviews that he does it out of his love for the sport, not just returns for his business.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Would anyone on here disagree with me if I said a truly talented marketing manager could creatively and resourcefully convince a few high cash flow companies to back a pro Downhill race team in the US and the bike manufacturer would have the lowest expenditure/investment in the entire endeavor if the person did their job right??? And the bike manufacturer would be ALL OVER IT...if all they had to do was supply parts, frames and JPEG images of their logos?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Road is a good example. The frame manufacturer is hardly in charge of any of those teams and NEVER the biggest logo on the team...heck if they're even second biggest logo it's unusual.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
You don't get it. Specialized isn't about racing. They are a multinational, and are all about profits.

Sure, some people there may be into racing etc, but when it comes down to the end of the day, the big wigs are responsible for turning big figures, not for turning in podiums. Specialized is like a revolving door when it comes to being an employer. I work with them fairly frequently on things, and i have NEVER yet dealt with the same project manager twice. It is insane.
I guess i missed the post about you sitting in the Specialized boardroom meetings.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It's not bottom line driven all the time.

Racing on all levels has an element of passion, its just not a business decision.
The guys who drive the business of bike racing are the ones who can convince sponsors that bike racing is an effective way to spend their advertising dollars.

Do you want to pay full retail for your bikes and gear? $300 for entry fees? Then we better hope sponsors continue to give money to riders and races.

EDIT: I do have to say that the business of cycling is driven by people who would do it for free, and have such strong passion about biking they have made it their life. I met Mike Sinyard, a decent guy, and I know he still races, which many in the industry do not.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Either way, that's a ton of money for a small company. Especially versus sponsorsing smaller teams, giving 10 medium fast guys bikes (which is less than 15k at their cost) and saying go to town. The added bonus is those fast but not top 5 guys are usually friends with other guys their speed, or kids around town who actually buy bikes.
bingo.....you should see how many coves there are in this town since morland, dewer, billinghurst, kevin and kenny, among many others, started riding them, they're the ripper bike of choice out here now........