Quantcast

Specialized P1/P2

zibbler

Monkey
I had a chance to try out a P1 this weekend. Seems like a great entry level dirt jumper for the price. I can't afford to buy it right now, but when I can, I was thinking I would definitely change out the fork. I don't understand why they would put a xc fork on a dirt jumping bike. :confused:

Anyway, I figured I'd put a Dirt Jumper 3 on it. I think I would also change the handlebars and stem on it. Any suggestions for a good handlebar/stem combo? I'd like a 2" - 2.5" rise on the handlebars.

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
How much is the specialized? Look at Kona's burly hardtails, I bet they are around the same price if not cheaper. Kona makes kick a$$ bikes, I've never had much faith in specialized.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by Mtbkngrl
How much is the specialized? Look at Kona's burly hardtails, I bet they are around the same price if not cheaper. Kona makes kick a$$ bikes, I've never had much faith in specialized.
The P1 is $530.00 and the P2 is $710.00. They would swap out the fork at no charge since they cost about the same, so the only extra $$ I'd have to invest (at least initially), would be the handlebars and stem.

I've read nothing but good reviews on the P1/P2. Most peoples biggest complaint was the crappy fork and the Hayes mech. brakes. Other than that, everyone thought the bike rocked.

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
If you are interested in the Konas, I was looking at the Kona Scab awhile back. It's about $599, steel frame, rigid fork, V-brakes. You'd have to upgrade the fork and brakes to get the same setup as the P2, and I guess that'd cost more than the P2 :(

Oh well!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by zibbler
Most peoples biggest complaint was the crappy fork and the Hayes mech. brakes. Other than that, everyone thought the bike rocked.
The crappyness of the Hayes mechanical disks is pretty major...

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
Originally posted by Echo
The crappyness of the Hayes mechanical disks is pretty major...

Yeah Kettering tried to skimp and put those on one of his bikes and he ended up buying Avid's cause they sucked so bad.

RAcErX336

Chimp
Sep 21, 2002
Allen, Texas
Heres my Current P1 setup -

Stock rims, tires, stem, cranks and seat. Deore hydro rear brake - Less than hayes or avid mech's and works better also. Pro taper 2" risers. Marz DJ1 Fork.

The bars and the Fork are the only things I had to change. The bars were purely for comfort as the stockers were plenty strong enough.

The only problems I have had with my bike are the front hub and the stock fork. The hub blew out after a few street rides and the steerer and crown bent on the EXR after the first hardcore DJ session. My shop hooked me up with a DJ1 at an awesome price as a replacement for the EXR, I should be picking the bike up with the new fork tomorrow or today. They are also taking care of the hub for me. Overall thats been my only problems with the bike, it handles everything great and is really easy to throw around in the air. I couldnt ask for a better bike for the price.

Definitly buy one if you have the chance!

Peace

konascab4444

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
Saratoga
i have riden my friends p1 and he put on a black and new stem new bars and thats it he like the brakes im not a fan but they are workin fine for him

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
get one of these...DMR Rhythm about £550 GBP with rigid fork and cable discs

frame is £220 GBP 4130 butted cromoly very strong but only 5.5lbs

unique dirt jumping geometry specific for 24" wheels

zibbler

Monkey
Well, I did it! I put a deposit down on a P2! This shop had one P1 and two P2's in stock. He's the only shop in this whole area that actually has them in stock. He showed me a document from Specialized that said they will only be shipping 30 more P1's and P2's this year.... for the whole country! So, I figured I better grab one while it's available. ;) :devil:

Mauceri

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
toga
I ride a P-1 and it has been great so far.
Setup
Fork: Black Comp 80-100
Stem:WoodMan
Seat:Titec Berserker
Handle Bars: Profile FreeRide
New ODI grips
Race Face Bash guard
Every thing else is stock and has worked great so far. I dunno what the deal is on the brakes they have worked really good for me so far...... but they are getting worse every time i ride them.
ILL SEND A PIC SOON