Specialized SX review

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Urgh gonna have to resist reading that review unless you tell me it's crap! I love the look of the SX but it's not imported into the UK :( Had a hankering for one for what seems like forever!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have an older ('05?) and slightly modified (tiny longer shock to give 5" travel, and an all mountain fork, RS revelation) SX and I use it as a trail/xc bike, and it absolutely rips.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Good review. What is ironic about it however is that my old black/white SX had the exact opposite problem of your frame. The rear shock was valved to be heavily damped, and it rode great on jump lines and slalom courses, but I used it mostly on bumpy rooty trails. You could not even set the bike up to ride that stuff. It was always a super stiff ride. If I could go back in time, we could have traded shocks and both been happy. ;)

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Good review. What is ironic about it however is that my old black/white SX had the exact opposite problem of your frame. The rear shock was valved to be heavily damped, and it rode great on jump lines and slalom courses, but I used it mostly on bumpy rooty trails. You could not even set the bike up to ride that stuff. It was always a super stiff ride. If I could go back in time, we could have traded shocks and both been happy. ;)
Or you could've sent your shock to push, and they would've made you happy. Like me. :D This is my main trail bike, and is more of a mini-mini dh than dj'er. But then I have a hardtail for that, and a bmx for the skatepark.

Attachments

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Or you could've sent your shock to push, and they would've made you happy. Like me. :D This is my main trail bike, and is more of a mini-mini dh than dj'er. But then I have a hardtail for that, and a bmx for the skatepark.
I owned an 06 SX with a pushed shock and it did ride a lot plusher but were able to air it out to stiffen it out. The review is spot on for the newer version (I'm on a 2010 now). For a 4" bike it feels bottomless, it really crazy. I'm planning in the near feature to have mine "tuned" somewhere. I just jump it like you would a longer travel FS bike rather than a hardtail and I've gotten use to it. I love the geometry of the bike with the low BB and standover height. Not sure there is anything out there like it. So I don't think it will be leaving my quiver any time soon. Definity my favorite bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Good review. What is ironic about it however is that my old black/white SX had the exact opposite problem of your frame. If I could go back in time, we could have traded shocks and both been happy. ;)
Yeah man, these newer versions are nothing like the old ones suspension-wise. It's not the shocks, it's the frame. There's no question in my mind. Any small cannister fox air shock should ramp up at least a little on anything but a frame designed to do the exact opposite. Could be good or bad depending on what you want it for. For me, it's not the change I was looking for but for anyone wanting a trail bike out if it, this is your ticket. These new ones are also SOOO much stiffer and solid feeling than the old frames.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Urgh gonna have to resist reading that review unless you tell me it's crap! I love the look of the SX but it's not imported into the UK :( Had a hankering for one for what seems like forever!
read it! As you know I've also had a hankering for one but after reading this wouldn't want to give up my 02 pushed coil SX for one.

Looking forward to PT2 tho

Cheers for the review Kidwoo!!

especially this l'il gem:
please don’t just go and fill up your shocks with grease. First, you need to find a pretentious suspension geek with no sense of adventure, tell him your intentions, and THEN go fill up your shock with grease and giggle at his pontifications.
:thumb:

BTW - the (proper) old ones blew through their travel too quickly too due to high leverage rate (not sure if it's a falling rate but feels like it), even with a firmer PUSH tune I'm on a ridiculously high 850lb spring on mine (spring calcs give me around 700)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That's a pretty honest review dude, nice one - and it's nice to have some commentary on why the rearend felt how it did, instead of "I tried the shock in an unrelated frame and it felt fine there so the frame sucks". :)

I'd always wanted one of the older SX frames (05 and 06 were so cool) but I think these days there are a few more options.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
The only thing I took away from that article is that I need to put grease into every possible opening on my bike. That's the point you were trying to make, right? I may be reading between the lines here.

Really well written review though. I like your writing style. And you get so durn high in the air on those jumps!

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
sweet review - thx. i just built up a 2009 SX and have put a few days in the park and jumps on it. such a fun bike. i'm looking for more pop in the ride too... still tuning the rear shock... i keep dumping more psi in and now it's 240+ and still quite linear/plush... does anyone know if the 2009-2011 SXs have identical rear suspension ?

to the reviewer - i'm running a 1 1/8 110mm fork slammed with an integrated HS and its definately not steep... i was really surprised that the actual HA is 66 vs. 68 in the review... have to measure mine...

Big Top 29r
'52 Schwinn

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
sweet review - thx. i just built up a 2009 SX and have put a few days in the park and jumps on it. such a fun bike. i'm looking for more pop in the ride too... still tuning the rear shock... i keep dumping more psi in and now it's 240+ and still quite linear/plush... does anyone know if the 2009-2011 SXs have identical rear suspension ?

to the reviewer - i'm running a 1 1/8 110mm fork slammed with an integrated HS and its definately not steep... i was really surprised that the actual HA is 66 vs. 68 in the review... have to measure mine...

Big Top 29r
'52 Schwinn
A kind soul on this site pointed me to this.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesday-How-to-Install-a-Fox-Air-Volume-Spacer-2011.html

I ordered the kit yesterday. Until they change the frame design, this is exactly what is needed with that RP23. It also achieves what I was after through adding grease to the shock chamber.

But yeah, keep in mind that 66 is with a big, fat, thick 1.5 headset sticking out of the bottom of the headtube to fit the tapered fork I have. I'm kind of looking for a 1 1/8" steerer fork to set it up like you have.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Great review again. I'm running a Talas on the front of mine, so changing the front is perfect. As for the 1 1/8 steertube, I think Cane Creek makes a Zero stack for 1 1/2. I'm gonna try one of those Fox kits real soon but I've gotten use to the way it feels and I'm not jumping stuff the size you ride. Best all-around bike I've owned.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That spacer kit might be what I need to get the shock on my 575 to feel proper...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
That fox volume reducer doesn't do squat to the geometry. All it does is cause the shock to ramp up quicker through the travel to give a more progressive feel. That's straight up stock geo with those parts.
My bad on that, but I was trying to figure out how you got a 65* HA when the stock geo says 68* (unless I'm looking at the wrong frame) - even with tallish DH tires and a big honking headset.

I sincerely hope I'm mistaken about the HA, as it may not qualify for proper RM e-approval.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My bad on that, but I was trying to figure out how you got a 65* HA when the stock geo says 68*

The 65 I got is with a big honkin 1.5 bottom headset AND a 5" fork. With a four inch fork it was 66 (mentioned in part one). So say the headset is an inch (it's not quite that big) that still gives a 67 deg HA. I have yet to run different tires front and rear so regardless of height, the HA should be the same. They're off. Or they just measured with a fork that has a shorter a-c than a fox float. I'm going with a difference in forks and headset. Plus specialized has traditionally been a little off on their published measurements anyway. At least with the bikes I've owned.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Cheers for the update Woo :thumb:
Still love my old 02 SX and this one sounds a similar ride - mine also has a 65deg HA and 12.6 BB (4.5" travel rear with a 140mm Pike normal 1&1/8 headset and in the low/slack shock setting) the pushed vanilla out back on mine out performs the pike by miles (well.. until it heats up too much on longer rougher DH runs I should really be doing on my DH bike).
does the shock on yours have an ordinary rear eyelet? ie. could a coil shock be fitted to these new SX's?

Oh.. and any chance of a quick mini review of the 2.35 BBG? my favourite pissing around/jumping/awesomely predictable/drifty tyre ever was the old 2.35 60a Maxxis Bling Blings in single ply - tore quite a few in my time getting too playful in rocks and did try dual plys but found them to be just too heavy/slow for most of that type of riding.. saw pics of the BBGs a while back and thought they looked like possible contenders.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh.. and any chance of a quick mini review of the 2.35 BBG?
Good :D

I've only gotten two days on them. I'm actually going to do a full review of them on that site once I get some more time and see how they hold up.

The shock shuttle/link thing cups the bottom end of the air shock shaft. It's also a wierd size (7.5" eye to eye but only 1.5" of travel). Not only will it be tough to find a coil with those specs, a coil will not fit (at least on my small) because the diameter of the spring will hit the top tube. Not a whole lot of options.

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Good :D

I've only gotten two days on them. I'm actually going to do a full review of them on that site once I get some more time and see how they hold up.

The shock shuttle/link thing cups the bottom end of the air shock shaft. It's also a wierd size (7.5" eye to eye but only 1.5" of travel). Not only will it be tough to find a coil with those specs, a coil will not fit (at least on my small) because the diameter of the spring will hit the top tube. Not a whole lot of options.
I tried this for the fun of it. I borrowed it from my friend for the weekend. It was plusher but lacks adjustments and just not worth the change. Maybe if I was only gonna use it for DH only. 7.5 x 2.0. If I run across one cheap I might pick up. Had to push the rear bushing out.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is that a small?

I can't get a fox coil to even fit in there. (rc4) The top tube gets in the way.

I'd kill to try out that setup. Should give the bike about 5.3" of travel.

See how much lower the top tube looks on mine?

Ooh: just checked the fox site and found out they still make a 7.5 x 2.0 rp23. This might be fun :D

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Is that a small?

I can't get a fox coil to even fit in there. (rc4) The top tube gets in the way.

I'd kill to try out that setup. Should give the bike about 5.3" of travel.

See how much lower the top tube looks on mine?

Ooh: just checked the fox site and found out they still make a 7.5 x 2.0 rp23. This might be fun :D
Mine is the large. That's about what I figured on the travel also. It felt great with the Talas at 160mm. I also tried a DHX 5.0 but wouldn't fit (I think you said that in the first review). I also thought about getting a 7.5 x 2.0 vanilla R and seeing if one of the suspension companys could put a remote compresion adapter like the 05 SX Trail's. The 7.5 x 2.0 RP23 would give you the travel but like you've stated the bike really feels like it has more travel than it does and the coil does give it a different feel.