Quantcast

Specialized SX Slopestyle Concept

revmonkey

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
New from Specialized:

haha just kidding...

but seriously, i was talking to my buddy mike a few days ago, and he was looking for a new bike. He loved the SX trail, but thought the biggest downside of it was the seattube... couldn't specialized easily just cut down the seattube as shown and get that useless piece of metal out of the way? i think it looks nicer like this too, it cleans up the lines more...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The seattube is surpisingly tucked away while riding; I don't think it's a problem at all. Plus climbing is nice.

revmonkey

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
well i'm talking pure slopestyle. like a bottlerocket type bike. the only thing holding back my friend is, again, the seattube.

revmonkey

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
if they reduced the travel i don't think it'd be much of a problem..

edit: fclinder, the ones he are particularily interested in are the bottle rocket, sxt, the new banshee proto, and the slopestyle devinci (forgot the name)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Here's my compromise: Enduro SX...with the travel bumped to 5.5"-6" via Avalanche Chubie. Yeah, yeah! Air shocks are for commuting and people with a shock pump fetish.
And I have short legs/long arms and that's a medium(long). Seat is ONLY an issue when trying to touch ground in XC mode. Riding is completely different.
Please allow me to :spam: myself by stating that this frame/shock is also for sale and its gotta go! I'm a broke mofo...

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
if you cut your seat post and lower the seat all the way, the seat goes plenty low enough.
Agreed. I have had ALOT of time on a shop demo. If you cut the post and make the seat go as low as is possible, it is very much out of the way. I'm 5'9.5" tall and with the seat all the way down I nearly get a face full of knee. Your buddy should try it out before he X's it off his list.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The SXT has a LOT of extension room. I could get almost XC-high with the ability of slamming it, but I ran about 3" of post even for pure DH, because the ST is still low.

Also, have him consider the Blur 4X. 4.5" of travel and a long seattube for lots of adjustment.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've always liked the Blurs. Thought about trying to use one for freeride/trail, but didn't think it would handle it...till I saw Cam Zink killin it on one a week later!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I own one nad the only thing i wished it had was a lower BB
Really? Geez, I HATED the SXTrails because of the dirt draggin BB. It's not even that it's low, it's just that the reast of that feels like CRAP when it's diggin. I jacked my BB up to about 14" or slightly over and LOVE it. But I DO tend to run trails with big square boulders that require slower speeds. The higher BB tends to help quite well...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The SX Trails have a 14.5" BB in the slack mode, and upwards of 15" on the steep mode.

It's the SX that has a low BB because it's got 4" of travel and it's a slalom bike.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
WHAT? Then the SXT I rode needed a lot more adjustment than I even thought! For some odd reason, I kept thinking that the SXTs were lower than the SXs, but the SX is retarded low... That's funny, I've been sitting here bangin my head on things trying to figure out how they got the SXT's BB lower and retain the 7" of travel and not change any of the linkages on each bike. Only to find out I've got the same, or better IMO, geometry. I'm a dumb****.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hahaha, yeah the SXT is way taller than my Demo, like .5".

I was always wondering why you didn't just buy an SXT from the start...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Coupla reasons: This was just right there, an easy trade, and I made a bunch of cash and parts as well. I HATED the fact that they produced the Berrcloth Blue SXT and I wanted a frame only, and I LOVED the white/black on the SX at the time. Now it's just annoying me as they keep popping up everywhere. If it doesn't sell, it's time to go to the coaters. Whaddaya think about flat mustard and black components...like an import racer??

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That's not what I measured. My Demo sits at 14" in the slack setting even with a slammed Boxxer and 2.3" Chunders. The SXT that I measured was 14.5" in the slack mode with 2.5" Chunders and a Fox 36VAN.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
That's not what I measured. My Demo sits at 14" in the slack setting even with a slammed Boxxer and 2.3" Chunders. The SXT that I measured was 14.5" in the slack mode with 2.5" Chunders and a Fox 36VAN.
14.5" seems a bit high. My '06 SXT II in slack mode with '06 Marzocchi 66 RC2X (170mm) and Conti Diesel 2.5's is about 14" BB height.

EDIT: You can check out a photo, with 175mm cranks (gonna replace with 170mm since the BB is so low).

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think your shock is too short or something. That's not right by either the Spec. geo tables or my measurements.