Quantcast

Specialized SX trail II??

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Hey i am just getting into freeriding and was wondering would a specialized SXT II be a good FR bike.

Will it hold up in FR area some resort mostly local?
Will there be enough travel for the DH area?

I have been riding a trek HT for a couple of months mostly Dj's and 5-6ft drops to trannys so i am proggressing pretty quickly which provokes another question.

Will I out grow this bike quickly?

Thanks
Brad

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
no i don't think so this bike can handle anything and unless you are about to out ride this guy soon which i doubt. this bike will last you a long time especially with the lift time warrenty. peopel hit 10+ drops and huge jumps with thsi bike and it a great pedaler and really likes it's speed on a DH course.

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Yeah berrecloth's SX is so awsome I saw him in NWD6 but i figured he could break that bike on every run a just pick up a new one for free but as you said others are doing 10+ drops on thiers so this now changes my outlook on that!
Thank you for your help!

Does anybody have and pics of the SXT in action?

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Im 6'5, 210 and have taken my 2006 SX Trail, off lots of 6-10 foot drops and it will take more. Its an awesome bike. Not the best bike to pedal up hills, however if you wanted to have 1 bike, that does it all, this is the one. A stock Large is about 39lbs. Handles great in the rough, and is an awesome bike to jump. Cant wait to take it to Whistler this year.

WestRider7

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Boise
I really like the idea of an SX trail, but it is way too expensive. I get deals on Norco's and I can get the Norco six for pretty cheap. It is pretty much the same thing geometry wise and it has specialized suspension, the bike is billed as a trail bike but if I get the complete bike I can always just wait until I break stuff and replace it with burlier parts.

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Hey Sry about the SXT thing ive changed my mind alot of people have told me that i should just buy a more FR oriented HT because of where i live!

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
TBC said:
Hey Sry about the SXT thing ive changed my mind alot of people have told me that i should just buy a more FR oriented HT because of where i live!
Why? Will they be riding your bike for you? You should get what you feel is right for you,not what's right for someone else. If you like hardtails then go for it, but I can't stand doing drops on HT's anymore. Goes right to my back and knees. But I'm getting old too! Chris...

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
My 2006 SX Trail II comes in on Friday...I cant wait...I've been waiting for a bike that will do it all..and finally, specialized comes out with something awesome!!! Specialized always come through in the end.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
BIGHIT756 said:
My 2006 SX Trail II comes in on Friday...I cant wait...I've been waiting for a bike that will do it all..and finally, specialized comes out with something awesome!!! Specialized always come through in the end.
Yep, after Santa Cruz was there first.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
i would never even consider santa cruz because they are so dreadful to deal with. when they say it will take 3 weeks....get ready...cuz you're in for a long wait....my order for my SPECIALIZED goes in monday, and my bike will be here..friday. not three weeks...6 weeks....however long they would take. So i dont know, i think specialized is a pretty damn good company.

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
BIGHIT756 said:
nice! i just purchased the frame from a guy in colorado:rofl:
I'm gone all next week due to spring break so..... it should be here in a week and a half or so:love:

roho322

Chimp
Jun 9, 2005
SOMD
I think we've established at this point that the SXT II is frig'n awesome. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there too. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and it's more than I could have hoped for. I put on a 888 VF2 to help with the dh type riding (and it does!). I also have a P1 for dj and what really surprised me was how well the SXT handles the dj, it jumps almost like a dj bike with big travel (if that makes sense).

Bottom line: DH, Drops, Jumps, and every kind of FR in between is no sweat for this thing. (Not to mention it's just sexy as hell!)

Woolleyfooley

Monkey
Mar 12, 2006
warwick new york
alright this brings about a question i have...how is the sx trail I .. ill be doing fr and downhill nothing huge tho. it would be my first fs freeride bike but i had a rocky mountian switch for a few weeks from a local shop just for a demo sort of thing and i got up to 5 foot drops but with the sx I i dont wanna have to buy a new one when i get better at freeride/dh. so what im asking is how good is the sx trail I?

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
The SX trail 1 is sick as well. The 66 that comes on it is pretty nice, and has some adjustment (internal rebound adjust) and its decent. The rear shock i believe is a Fox DHX 4.0...which only difference is the lack of "bottom out control". Basically everything on the bike is one component set down from the SXT 2. I think the 1 will do just fine. The only thing i would change maybe in the long run would be the wheels. But...I am changing the wheels on my bike also, and i have a 06 SXT 2 arriving friday...so i guess wheels are up to you to change depending on if you think you need to. I say go for it!!! SX Trails for everyone!!!

Also...the SX would be a sweet ass beginner DH/FR bike because it is burly enough to handle it all...yet lighter than a big ass 7-10 inch downhill bike. Being able to throw the SX around a bit will teach you better bike control...and of course, you will learn style!!!

Feb 13, 2006
while you armchair "freeriders" give us your PinkBike (TM) drop distances (which we all know can be divined accurately by taking the square root of your claimed drop distance),

the truth is that the SX Trail will hold up if you have the skills.

Berrecloth is about 10000% smoother than most of the gomers who pretend at skill.

the original cat asked if he would outgrow the SX Trail...

the answer is, what the hell do you think? how much better than Berrecloth do you expect to get in your amazing progress that will see you doing 45 foot drops in 2 weeks time?

if teenage testosterone-fueled arrogant ignorance were currency, this thread would be worth millions.

unfortunately, the completely hollow poseur nature of the posts here render this thread worthless.

zaphod1

Monkey
Oct 7, 2004
great mills md
he's not kidding the thing is sweet and even better with the white 888
roho322 said:
I think we've established at this point that the SXT II is frig'n awesome. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there too. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and it's more than I could have hoped for. I put on a 888 VF2 to help with the dh type riding (and it does!). I also have a P1 for dj and what really surprised me was how well the SXT handles the dj, it jumps almost like a dj bike with big travel (if that makes sense).

Bottom line: DH, Drops, Jumps, and every kind of FR in between is no sweat for this thing. (Not to mention it's just sexy as hell!)

scr1be

Chimp
Sep 22, 2005
sorry for hijacking,

but what do you guys think of the transition dirtbag for all around freeride use?

Aug 24, 2005
if u wanna know y darren bearcloths bike dont break because he moded it out with 7 iches of travel a new swing arm and some other stuff so it can handle alot of thing and so far hes only gone through 1 of those bike

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
santacruzdher21 said:
if u wanna know y darren bearcloths bike dont break because he moded it out with 7 iches of travel a new swing arm and some other stuff so it can handle alot of thing and so far hes only gone through 1 of those bike
Darren Berrecloth is sponsord by Manitou, that's why he doesn't use the production version FOX DHX with 9" - 2.75" stroke.
The frame is a standard production frame with a custom color,
NO special tubing or custom swingarm and some other stuff....

Someone has to do the "field-testing" of the frames, that's one of Darrens jobs.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
santacruzdher21 said:
Besides the color, the frame looks exactly the same as my stock one. I dont think the frame specifically is any stronger.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
SXtrailrider said:
I think fox has a contume 9" -3.0" for the SX
It's on the specialized site :

SX trail 2 and SX trail Frame only : 06 Fox DHX 5.0 Coil, ProPedal damping, bottom out, rebound adjustment, 9.0"x2.75"

SX trail 1 : 06 Fox DHX 4.0 Coil 9.0x2.75", rebound adjust, ProPedal adjust

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
preppie are you sure about that! so if I were to get a 9.0 by 3.0 could the frame take that and would it give me mroe travel.

Sorry im a noob when it comes to suspention.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
SXtrailrider said:
...so if I were to get a 9.0 by 3.0 could the frame take that and would it give me mroe travel.
SX with a 2.75" stoke gives 6.6" travel.
SX with a 3.00" stroke (should) give 7.2" tavel.

BUT I can't recommend it, the SX is designed and tested for a 2.75" stroke shock, No idea if it could or would work.

But if you want to try it anyway you need to (triple) check if the link/swingarm/seat or chainstay doesn't hit the frame when bottoming out with a 3" stoke shock.
Test this with a 3" stroke shock without the spring and keep in mind that you need to include the bottom-out rubber.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
say if you put a 9.25X3.0 it might have a better chance on fitting with out clearence issues. still its not really somthing that you should be doing with out checking on the warranty issue first.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
How many people have broken chainstays?

I see them explode on regular Enduros, and since Specialized has a history of not designing bikes for side impacts (side impact=casing a 360, landing kicked out to the side, jumping into a corner, and the list of bikes not designed for side impacts is pretty long, inlcuding the BMX line, Demos, and Enduros) I'm a little hesitant to look into snagging an SX Trail. BUT if those chainstays are holding up, that bike has some pretty good geometry, and it would make a great light duty DH bike.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I have only seen one of the new style Enduro's with a broken stay and that was off a huge drop, it was not one of the SXTrails either.

my stays are good so far :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
PepperJester said:
say if you put a 9.25X3.0 it might have a better chance on fitting with out clearence issues. still its not really somthing that you should be doing with out checking on the warranty issue first.
Um no. The longer stroke would give you a steep HA and a high BB. Plus the clearance issue would be worse if anything.

The problem w/ a 3" stroke on the SXT is the lack of interchangability with other shocks. I.E. good luck finding a compatible shock.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The '06 SXT does in fact use a 9.0 x 2.75" shock which is an oddball size. With that said I wouldn't change it because the DHX is a great shock. Just get a Ti spring and call it a day. Any shock you install (other than custom made to size) will alter the PERFECT geometry of the bike. Is 6.7" not enough? I know it is for me. My only compalint would be the lack of air pressure adjustment on the boost chamber, perhaps PUSH could install a schrader valve?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
broken....

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150881 taken from here, 04/15/06

looks like he got back on the bike real quick....

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151389 taken from here, posted 04/19/06

that's a pretty quick turn around, I think two of those days were a sat/sun.

punkassean said:
perhaps PUSH could install a schrader valve?
I emailed push about doing this a few weeks ago and never heard back from them, I tried calling a few times as well and was never able to get through.

I have a feeling they would probably be alot more interested in selling you there new upgrade for it instead... http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2006-Sea-Otter-Push-Industries.html

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Castle said:

Any idea what exactly happened ?

Did he case, hucked to flat, landed sideways, got stuck between something, does he weighs 250pounds.
The poster said "small drop" but :clue:
The guy is riding with a dual crown, so I guess he goes big ...and aren't most Lynn woods drops to (semi) flat?

I use my SX trial for light DH and 'slopestyle' and it's the first broken SX trail pic I see.
I hope it stays that way.
The Specialized warranty is super, but a broken bike is never a good thing.