Quantcast

Specialized SX v.s. Kona Bass

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
I currently ride an '06 SX Trail I, and I have been looking for something with shorter travel. I wanted to build up a short travel SX (the 4" DS/4x version), but I also have been thinking about the Kona Bass (complete) or building up a Cowan frame. I love freeride, but I also want a bike that I can use on XC trails. I'm worried that the SX frame won't be burly enough for FR, and the the seat-tube angle will be too slack for XC. The Bass seems to have a good blend of both, but I've never ridden a Kona before. Anyone with info and/or pics of their set-ups, please, feel free to post.

-David

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I currently ride an '06 SX Trail I, and I have been looking for something with shorter travel. I wanted to build up a short travel SX (the 4" DS/4x version), but I also have been thinking about the Kona Bass (complete) or building up a Cowan frame. I love freeride, but I also want a bike that I can use on XC trails. I'm worried that the SX frame won't be burly enough for FR, and the the seat-tube angle will be too slack for XC. The Bass seems to have a good blend of both, but I've never ridden a Kona before. Anyone with info and/or pics of their set-ups, please, feel free to post.

-David
hey dude - are you going to SS this weekend? If so let me know -

Here's my newest bike http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203070

It's a great cross of everything - I can use this bike for FR / DS (Im racing this weekend) XC/ SuperD

And you know me I love Kona.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
hey dude - are you going to SS this weekend? If so let me know -

Here's my newest bike http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203070

It's a great cross of everything - I can use this bike for FR / DS (Im racing this weekend) XC/ SuperD

And you know me I love Kona.
I would have loved to race at SS that weekend, but I was suffering through the 12 hours of Cranky Monkey at Quantico w/ Russ and Jeff. (DH/DS is soooo much more fun). That Cowan frame looks sick, and I think it's the same frame that's on the Bass. We just became a Kona dealer, so I'm still learning about their stuff. Think I can try yours out one day? I need a good all around bike, and that one looks like a good choice. BTW, we're havin a Demo/Grill/Ride/Hang-out Day at Rosaryville this Sunday (July 6th), so you should come by if ya can. Thanks for the input!

-David

clockwork

Chimp
Jun 6, 2008
I ride my sxtrail everywhere. Mine is perfect for XC, FR, and light DH. I have taken mine on 30mile XC rides with 2000+ of climbing with no issues and IMO my sxtrail did better on those rides than my enduro of the same style.

As far as not able to hold up to FR thats crazy the SX is slopestyle freeride bike and will take serious abuse. Just because the change the geo and put an air can in the rear doesn't mean the frame gets weaker. Look at how many SX's are @ crankworks and other slopestyle events ,yes I know many look like sxtrails but they are sx's. Also the seatpost angle of the sx still isn't as slack as the enduro which is the xc/allmountain ride.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
bass or cowan DS since they are concentric, nothin like a singlespeed fully.

sold it but i really enjoyed it while i had it

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon

-David
I ride my Long SX as an XC bike and love it. I replaced the 2" stroke stock shock with w/ a 2.25" RP23 which increased the rear travel to about 4.725" (calculated not actually measured) from the stock 4.2". The 67 HA and 13.375" BB with the Pike fully extended the Low BB Shock Shuttle installed, and a 2.35 Minion/HighRoller combo is spot on for Dhing your local xc trails. The seat tube angle is plenty steep enough for XC, but you may need to run a longer post for XC, and a shorter one for jumping/slalom as you don't get much extension with this frame.

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I feel completely at home riding XC on my SX frame. The best part is that when you get to the top, the SX also feels like a mini-dh bike so it rails on the way down. I highly recommend it.