Quantcast

Specialized's "custom" components?

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I took a look at Spec's site and they list quite a few custom components from other manufacturers. Custom Elixir brakes, custom XT cranks, etc...

Anyone know what is so custom about these products?

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
with their brakes they make custom set ups. for 08 they had juicy levers on code calipers on the sx trails over here. i know trek make custom xt cranks with Ti spindle i think it is, so maybe specialized is doing that

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
They may call them "custom" parts, however most people call them OEM. Say for example, a company takes a Manitou fork and wants a specific travel, no damper adjust but a lock out, and a special frame matching lower; it would be an OEM part.
It happens rather often having an OEM part on bikes.

-Kevin

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
I took a look at Spec's site and they list quite a few custom components from other manufacturers. Custom Elixir brakes, custom XT cranks, etc...

Anyone know what is so custom about these products?
Some of their stuff like "their" rims are crap really. I a rim joint fail while I was settling the spokes on a new bike. Pretty low qual. I'd say. They do a lot of in house stuff to keep the price down.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm serious.

The finish is the only difference with the XT cranks, and it does help to hide the difference between that crank and ones on cheaper bikes.

I haven't sifted thru every component spec on Specialized (yet), but variations on brake levers, rims, cranks, are more aesthetics than anything else.

The only thing was better than the rest of the market was the Fox Triad shock and the Epic Brain, which was one year ahead for the Triad, and still not on the market for the Brain.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
They may call them "custom" parts, however most people call them OEM. Say for example, a company takes a Manitou fork and wants a specific travel, no damper adjust but a lock out, and a special frame matching lower; it would be an OEM part.
It happens rather often having an OEM part on bikes.

-Kevin
Plus it seems that OEM in the bike indstry often equals less of a product. Shocks and forks with less options, cheaper rims etc. Naturally as the none-OEM products normally are made to be as good.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
i work at a specialized shop and there are a few things like juicy 4's. yea i hadn't heard of them either. there are a lot of things that are custom colorways like the xt cranks on the enduros and other models and things like the avids with custom levers. i can't really think of anything that is better than an aftermarket part or something so great you can get on spec you can't just get anyway. if you look at suspension there is a lot of custom forks. the 66rcv wasn't a factory option before this year i think. if you look at companies and dont' see the settings that the spec comes with chances are its custom for them. good example is the new shock and forks on the sx trail with custom mounting and 1/8 to 1.5 taper. which is things you can't get aftermarket to my knowledge. not yet atleast.