Quantcast

Specialzied 2007 stuff

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
building their own suspension.......?.........thats gonna be a whole lot of headaches......neato bike though.

....not sure what they could be climbing where they need to go 22/34 on a slack bike like that......

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
4.5 lbs for 150mm is that anything special? And at the cost of special hub, difficult to change stem and its a dual crown on an enduro. Maybe I am just out of thouch with the enduro market.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
that's one slack trail bike... the rear shock looks exactly like a rebadged older fox... still i'm glad they moved to a rocker link to get an uninterupted seat tube, that and the fork are nice. (asidde from the 25 mm TA.)
maybe it's meant to lure freehuckers back to XC/AM hence the geo and easy gearing.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I'm glad that in 2007 the Enduro SX Trail lives on.
That bike is spot on for most of us that want a ...do-it-almost-all bike.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
like the bike, but why are they changing their susp. design. AHHH!, and their new susp. don't know if i will be riding it, whats happening to specialized bikes

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Praise be that Specialized is finally making a quality shock and fork. I was just complaining on the inferior products that Fox were making.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The rear shock is clearly a rebadged RP3. The fork probably has fox internals judging by the description and the adjuster knobs.

Way back in the day spec used to make their own fok bodies as well, and they had RS internals.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Given Specialized's close ties with Fox (Brain shocks, itch switch, etc), this is kinda suprising.

Suspension is so hard to do right. Look at Manitou, they still can't get it right after all these years. Cannondale's proprietary suspension products have been more mechanical headache than they were worth and the marketing doesn't exactly attract buyers.

I wouldn't buy it first year and I certainly have to ask why this is necessary.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Zark said:
Given Specialized's close ties with Fox (Brain shocks, itch switch, etc), this is kinda suprising.

Suspension is so hard to do right. Look at Manitou, they still can't get it right after all these years. Cannondale's proprietary suspension products have been more mechanical headache than they were worth and the marketing doesn't exactly attract buyers.

I wouldn't buy it first year and I certainly have to ask why this is necessary.
Like I said, they aren't moving away from fox. That rear shock IS a fox shock. The front fork looks to be foxish as well, and chances are the internals are all fox. Specialized just likes to be different.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Specialized probably had Fox do the fabrication work for them. Already have a close relationship and are almost neighbors, would save money and speed up the whole development cycle. We'll probably see more variation in the rear shock over the next years/design cycles.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Transcend said:
Like I said, they aren't moving away from fox. That rear shock IS a fox shock. The front fork looks to be foxish as well, and chances are the internals are all fox. Specialized just likes to be different.
I guess its just an unexpected direction of their "cooperation". I'd think Spec. would have stuck with their speccing exclusive Fox branded hardware you can't get aftermarket.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Zark said:
I guess its just an unexpected direction of their "cooperation". I'd think Spec. would have stuck with their speccing exclusive Fox branded hardware you can't get aftermarket.
I think it probably meant more $$$ for fox (a la brain development). They probably would have branded that too if fox would have let them. Spec just seems to love to be different, even if it's in a useless way. It is rather interesting anyways.

To be honest, as a consumer, I would be less likely to buy a product with "specialized" suspension, than with fox, marzocchi etc. Reputation goes a long way.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It is most likely "x-fusion" stuff, they are the people who make most of the Fox stuff to begin with, and also make the shocks for Scott. Those lowers do look mighty suntour though.

People need to realize that pretty much all the suspension forks in the whole world come from 2 or 3 different shops in Taiwan. The lowers for your Boxxer were cast right next to someone elses 888. Some companies "assemble" their forks in italy or the US, but the majority of the parts were made by Spinner or SR.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
A 25mm T/A is stupid. There is no reason when 20mm is stiff enough. Not to mention there is only one hub around that can fit the fork. And a 150mm DC on a trail bike? That's silly. A 150mm SC could have been made even lighter and would have been just as nice. I'm not impressed.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bballe336 said:
A 25mm T/A is stupid. There is no reason when 20mm is stiff enough. Not to mention there is only one hub around that can fit the fork. And a 150mm DC on a trail bike? That's silly. A 150mm SC could have been made even lighter and would have been just as nice. I'm not impressed.
A super light, long travel SC would be flexy as hell and then you'd be whining about how badly the front end tracks.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I agree that the shock is dimmensionally identical to an RP3, but RP3's are made in Taiwan by X-fusion, and assembled in CA with a us made piston. Designing a new piston doesn't take Fox, especially when the guy who is working for Specialized is a very competent suspension designer (hell, he was the lead dude on the original boxxer project back in '95).

I'm saying they probally skipped the middle man (Fox, probally with Fox's blessing) and got their crap made and fully assembled in Taiwan, maximizing their profit margin.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Transcend said:
A super light, long travel SC would be flexy as hell and then you'd be whining about how badly the front end tracks.
Manitou Nixons don't feel flexy and they have 150mm travel and are less than 4.5 lbs if I remember correctly.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SuspectDevice said:
People need to realize that pretty much all the suspension forks in the whole world come from 2 or 3 different shops in Taiwan.
Swap out the words "suspension forks" with any other bike part and you're pretty much right.

Isn't this something everyone already knows?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
SuspectDevice said:
Same sh!t different pile, IMO.
awesome

I don't understand the demo 9, no wait... the demo 8, no wait... the demo 7

The Enduro, the SX trail, now this thing????

They seem to have too many overlapping bikes imo, but whatever sells more bikes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SuspectDevice said:
I agree that the shock is dimmensionally identical to an RP3, but RP3's are made in Taiwan by X-fusion, and assembled in CA with a us made piston. Designing a new piston doesn't take Fox, especially when the guy who is working for Specialized is a very competent suspension designer (hell, he was the lead dude on the original boxxer project back in '95).

I'm saying they probally skipped the middle man (Fox, probally with Fox's blessing) and got their crap made and fully assembled in Taiwan, maximizing their profit margin.
That could be entirely possible, but oh so shady if it is the case. The fork wouldn't surprise me in the least as fox has been known to supply parts for off brand forks, but the rear shock would be an entirely different story.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
profro said:
awesome

I don't understand the demo 9, no wait... the demo 8, no wait... the demo 7

The Enduro, the SX trail, now this thing????

They seem to have too many overlapping bikes imo, but whatever sells more bikes.
I just don't like their hype machine. I think it goes to 11.

Not like I don't hype **** for Sinister or FBM or Cane Creek all day long, but Specialized has fully gone off the deepend lately selling $7000 bikes.

Making things more expensive and Different looking since 1975.
Specialized Bike Company
Innovate or Die?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
bballe336 said:
About 190 or so. I can tell when things are flexy. It feels like a solid trail fork to me.
Fair enough. Just making sure you are not a 130 pound lightweight claiming that a fork is stiff when you couldn't even flex a limp noodle.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
I like a lot the Braze-on front derailleur. I think it's genius because it's bolted to the Chainstays, It allows to the right Chainstay to have less bend an be stronger/Lighter. The BB area is stronger also than a bike like a Nicolai Helius ST for example, (with the FD attached to the Swingarm but with the seat tube welded to the Downtube...) because the seat tube goes directly to the BB.

I don't like to much the Shock or the frok but that's irrelevant, you can buy the fram only and Swap the rear shock for something better.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Nice find, the bike looks pretty sharp. Hopefully if they do go the in house route they do have Fox internals or they do a much better job than their components like their cranks.