Quantcast

Spesh hillbillies

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
What is the knobs like on a 2.5 spec hillbillies? Are they small like the wetscream or are they like the muddy Mary? Also is the 2.5 hillbilly the same size as a 2.5 butcher?

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I have 2.35 hill billy's and knobs are much more stout than those of the wet scream. I wouldn't even call them mud tires perse. They excel in soft ground and like to rail stuff. The only thing I don't like about them is they don't "drift" very predictably.

But as far as knobbie wear goes, I'm surprised at how long the knobs are holding their sharp figure. Almost all my rides on them have been in dry conditions.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Has anyone here cut their Hillbillies? If so, experiences?
My friend did. It reduces rolling resistance slightly on hard packed stuff but the cut knobs wear out much much faster. He is now on almost semi-slick hillbilly's and i'm still on full knobed ones. He isn't going to cut his next set of hillbilly's.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
Thanks for the response. I'm pretty much thinking there like dry tires but with mud shedding capabilities. I wanted to make sure sure they didn't have much tiny week knobs like the wetscream. I am about to pull the trigger on them. I think they will get the same traction as the Muddy Mary but with better shedding.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hillbillies are "dry spikes", intermediate tires. My favorite tire by far right now for anything with a decent bit of give. They will wear out extremely fast (and be sketchy) on hardpack.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Am I totally insane to wonder why someone isn producing a lightish kevlar casing 2.3 AM version of this style of tire? I have a pair of wetscreams for the dh bike but our conditions for xc/am would really love a pair of these right now...Noway will I run dh casing though.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Am I totally insane to wonder why someone isn producing a lightish kevlar casing 2.3 AM version of this style of tire?
Because they have a high rolling resistance.

During the winter I will run a Specialized 2.0 Storm in Control casing. Its sketchy as hell on hardpark or loose over hard but pretty dang good in wet leaves and mud.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
they do that is a good point, i have run 2.2 wet screams for a winter enduro we do around here, like pulling a truck at points but damn they hook up...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
they do that is a good point, i have run 2.2 wet screams for a winter enduro we do around here, like pulling a truck at points but damn they hook up...
Did you try the Maxxis Medusa? It is the XC version of the Wetscream with shorter knobs and harder compound. And what about Panaracer Trailraker?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
While we're on the subject- I think hillbilly's would be a great winter tire for me in the pnw. However, I have some wetscreams that only see use a few times a year for the super muck where they can dig in all the way.
For those who have ridden both- is the ride of a cut wetscream (a few mm off each tread) similiar to a hillbilly? Shorter on money these days, so if there aren't any big downsides to making my own hillbillys, I'll go for it. Thanks for any input.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Did you try the Maxxis Medusa? It is the XC version of the Wetscream with shorter knobs and harder compound. And what about Panaracer Trailraker?
I have not since they are only a 2.1, I guess I would love to see a 2.3 medusa is what im saying. You could argue that it isn't 'responsible' to run these tires on singletrack in the winter but most of our winter riding is on very established worn in trails...Tires dont do much damage from year to year.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
For those who have ridden both- is the ride of a cut wetscream (a few mm off each tread) similiar to a hillbilly?
Similar.... but take that with a grain of salt. Its more similar than a DHF would be. But a cut Wetscream (at least how I cut them) rolled faster than a full length Hillbilly.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have not since they are only a 2.1, I guess I would love to see a 2.3 medusa is what im saying.
Gotcha! I am normally not one to listen too much to what the magazines say, but Dirt is very keen on the Bontrager XR Mud and Speci Storm Control as 50/50 trailbike winter tires (or tyres ;)). They also love the Panaracer Trailraker as all out trail mud tire. As they live in the right country to test these types of tires I think they might be on something.

You could argue that it isn't 'responsible' to run these tires on singletrack in the winter but most of our winter riding is on very established worn in trails...Tires dont do much damage from year to year.
That is what trail maintenance days are for. ;)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Similar.... but take that with a grain of salt. Its more similar than a DHF would be. But a cut Wetscream (at least how I cut them) rolled faster than a full length Hillbilly.

Do you do the ramps on the center knobs?

and thank you for the reply :)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I spend 50/50 riding/building so i have earned my right to run spikes if i must say! ;)
Hehehe....did you also make the observation that the people b!tching the most about riding muddy trails are never seen with a shovel in their hands? They probably think the 'government' is building the trails with their tax dollars. :rofl:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hehehe....did you also make the observation that the people b!tching the most about riding muddy trails are never seen with a shovel in their hands? They probably think the 'government' is building the trails with their tax dollars. :rofl:
yeah it's unreal how many people think the trails fall out of the sky. there is a handful of us here that enjoy the build process esp in the winter months...somebody's gotta do it right?