Quantcast

spies like us

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
woops.
The FBI has arrested 10 people for allegedly serving for years as secret agents of Russia's intelligence organ, the SVR, with the goal of penetrating U.S. government policymaking circles.
According to court papers unsealed Monday, the FBI intercepted a message from SVR headquarters, Moscow Center, to two of the defendants describing their main mission as "to search and develop ties in policymaking circles in US." Intercepted messages showed they were asked to learn about a broad swath of topics including nuclear weapons, U.S. arms control positions, Iran, White House rumors, CIA leadership turnover, the last presidential election, the Congress and political parties.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_doj_russia_arrests

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My favorite quotes...

"Doctor. Doctor. Doctor. Doctor. Doctor. Doctor. Doctor. Doctor. Doctor..." etc.

and

"I am probing for muscle structure and skeletal girth. We mock what we do not know"

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
What I want to know is... why in the hell do we still pay sketch artists to portay courtroom scenes? Talk about government waste..

Can somebody not just snap a picture on a digital camera?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
There was a story on NPR this morning about this that I of course can't find now, but apparently the "suspects" are only being charged with money laundering and failure to register as a foreign national or some such thing. Espionage charges were not filed because there was no actual "espionage" or state secrets involved. Apparently the "mission" was to become involved with policy makers and try to shape US policy. No actual “spying” per-se was involved.

Doctor.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Apparently the "mission" was to become involved with policy makers and try to shape US policy. No actual “spying” per-se was involved.
the original article said that is what they were trying to do, but if we did that in Mother Russia, our people would be shot :think:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
cameras usually arent allowed in the courtroom unless the judge allows it.
That's what Im getting at.... WTF is the difference between a picture and an illustration? Why is one allowed and the other not? Makes no sense.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
were they going to acknowledge they had spies in the US?
Moscow angrily rejected U.S. accusations on Tuesday that Washington had cracked an undercover Russian spy ring, and said the Cold War-style cloak and dagger saga seemed timed to wreck a recent thaw in relations.
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said U.S. police had gone "out of control" after 10 suspected spies were arrested in the United States in the biggest espionage case for years.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100629/ts_nm/us_russia_usa_spies

fatnslow

Chimp
May 10, 2010
Money quote: Jessie Gugig, 15, said she could not believe the charges, especially against Mrs. Murphy. “They couldn’t have been spies,” she said jokingly. “Look what she did with the hydrangeas.”

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
That's what Im getting at.... WTF is the difference between a picture and an illustration? Why is one allowed and the other not? Makes no sense.
Cameras steal your soul??

What's the difference between magic and illusion?

a picture says a thousand words, but in the courtroom, it's that lady talking into her mouth tube and punding the four key typewriter..

Ok, I'll stop...