Quantcast

Spin class?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Is it worth it right now i'm in my Prep vase of training i'll be in base 1 by nov 24. My LBS keeps wanting me to join it's at a new Physicalpark.com he gave me free pass for one session. It costs 140$can for 20. Should i do them also how often?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by JMAC
Is it worth it right now i'm in my Prep vase of training i'll be in base 1 by nov 24. My LBS keeps wanting me to join it's at a new Physicalpark.com he gave me free pass for one session. It costs 140$can for 20. Should i do them also how often?
You should at least go check it out and see what it's like. Last year I relied a lot on spin classes for my interval and sprint work because I hated doing that stuff on my own. If anything, it will be a good hour long ride. The problem with spin classes is that you have to find a good instructor. I would always go to the instructors who I knew did certain things.

It also depends on your training plan, and what you are trying to accomplish. For example, today I am supposed to ride for 1 hour with my heart rate 150-160 and my cadence 80-90. I couldn't do that at a spin class necessarily because they do different "drills". Go check it out and if there is a good class that focuses on speed drills then you can know to go to that class on your speed work day.

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
Originally posted by Heidi

It also depends on your training plan, and what you are trying to accomplish. For example, today I am supposed to ride for 1 hour with my heart rate 150-160 and my cadence 80-90. I couldn't do that at a spin class necessarily because they do different "drills". Go check it out and if there is a good class that focuses on speed drills then you can know to go to that class on your speed work day.
You don't have to do what the rest of the class is doing. I did a back to back spin class last night. In the first class I just sat on my butt and spun at a low heart rate. It's to hot in there to go hard for 2hrs. Then in the 2nd class I went with the program.

Heidi hit the nail when she said the instructor matters. My gym has about 5 different instructors and each one has a different program and music selection. The 2nd class I did last night was done by a cyclist and was great. The first class was done by some weirdo who barked during class. Yes, barked. Woof Woof! STFU! It was very annoying.

You will definately learn new skills spinning such as being able to stand and spin 1inch above the seat. That requires a good spin technique and strength. The instructors always make it look so easy :\

If you only have 1 free class then ask around who the best instructor is and go to that one.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I think it's one guy who's the instructor. They don't have music they have a 20 foot curved cinama tv in front and you watch dvd's often tour de france kinda things i've been told. Any how i'll check it out when i have the time.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by JMAC
I think it's one guy who's the instructor. They don't have music they have a 20 foot curved cinama tv in front and you watch dvd's often tour de france kinda things i've been told. Any how i'll check it out when i have the time.
So you have an instructor AND you watch tv?

When I'm home on a trainer I watch tapes of the Tour de France while I spin. Last night I did La Plagna.:p