Quantcast

splined sprockets?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so i just got a tree lite splined sprocket, and for the life of me I can't get the damn thing to go on the spindle. I've dealt with stubborn cranks before, but this guy literally is not going on. It was greased, i took steel wool to it, nothing did the trick.

Any thoughts?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
odyssey 41 thermal cranks, so its a compatible interface (48 spline). the spacer on the crank arm installer isn't long enough unfortunately.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
spindle in the freezer overnight.

sprocket in the oven at low temp right before install. (I'd be careful, because I assume the sprocket is aluminum with a steel insert. If the steel insert is only an interference fit, you dont want it to fall out when the alu sprocket expands...)

double check that there is no mushrooming at the end of the spindle...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
spindle in the freezer overnight.

sprocket in the oven at low temp right before install. (I'd be careful, because I assume the sprocket is aluminum with a steel insert. If the steel insert is only an interference fit, you dont want it to fall out when the alu sprocket expands...)

double check that there is no mushrooming at the end of the spindle...
your assumption is correct... al sprocket to steel insert. But the tolerances are very tight on it.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
do you have another crank arm to use to hammer the spindle into. maybe try to 'clean' the splines up for the tree sprocket.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You could try using a wire wheel around the crank end on the splines. This should taper it in a little so you can get it started.
I had to do this when I installed the cranks. I'll take another pass at it to see if it helps. I'm gonna try some steel wool on the sprocket splines too. All this on top of the spindle-freezer trick.

I'm also gonna shoot Sam over at Tree an email to see what his advice is.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Add some crank spacers to it
2'nd that. I have a wicked stack of shims just for that purpose. I also have another installer with the threads cut down 1/2 inch so it doesnt bottom as soon.

Also, have you tried cursing and scratching your head yet? That usually works for me.:cheers:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I had brand new cranks do that one time. I had to use the threads in the spindle to get everything together. Try a bolt in the end with a big washer on it. Throw a long wrench on there. If that doesn't go then i don't know what to tell you.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh and by the way, this is the response I got from Sam over at Tree Bikes today:

Hi John sorry for your troubles. We have an odyssey spindle here that was
used to check compatibility with while designing this part. And one side was
super loose and the other side was kind of tight. On the odyssey spindle the
splines are knurled instead of cut like most spindles and there tolerances
are not very tight.
The way to solve your problem may be to take a rat tail file and
just slightly file the tips of the spline teeth inside the Tree sprocket.
Because I believe this is where the interference is.
Give it a shot and get back with me soon. Good luck!!
Its really nice to get a thorough response like this! Gonna give it a shot tonight (if the freezer trick doesn't work). I'll let everyone know how it works out.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I would take a good hard look at the spindle and sprocket before I filed it.... maybe put the sprocket on the end of the spindle and hold a light under it, so you try to verify exactly where the interference is.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
after reading the email several times and a bit of contemplating... I then remembered I had a somewhat old profile spindle in a parts bin. Tried it out, went together without incident. I'll post up pics tomorrow.