Quantcast

Spoke crossing wtf?!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ok, lacing a front wheel and the disc side flange is larger than the drive. 32h, planned on 3x. Drive side laced fine 3x but on the disc side, the trailing spokes actually will cross the head of preceding spoke like so

received_763745561278795.jpeg

If I just do 2x, it seems to work ok angle-wise and length looks OK...
received_1266415737099642.jpeg

These are not gigantor weird hubs...58mm on the large side. Is this normal? I don't put a lacing error to be beyond me, but I doubt checked and it all matches Harris Cylery's instructions best I can tell.

Anyone have any idea what gives? Is this normal on larger hub flanges? Is it actually OK to use with the spoke crossing the other's head?? I would assume 3x is better on the disc side than 2x and would prefer to use 3...

Thx

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Haven't seen that before but if I put my nerd hat on I would say that the closer to tangential the spoke is to the hub the less spoke tension there would be while under torque, so given the 2x and 3x options I would go with your 3x build.

That being said your leading spokes and trailing spokes should be at the same angles, which they are not in the picture, which makes sense if you have all the leading spokes installed and only one or two of the trailing spokes. If your lacing is correct good chance things will sort itself out once you have all the spokes installed and start to get things tensioned up as the clocking of the hub to the rim will rotate balancing out your leading/trailing spoke angles.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Haha, I sometimes get into these situations when I'm lacing wheels with a little too much lubricant of the Belgian-blonde variety...

Your leading spoke is clearly leaving the flange at a much higher angle than your trailing spoke, even though they should be the same.
1650528499620.png

It usually means a spoke pattern f*ck=up. My advise is to remove all spokes, and restart the next morning with a clear head ;-)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what order did you lace them? i usually start with all the leading spokes, that way i can ensure i get the key spoke right, then proceed with the trailing spokes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haha, I sometimes get into these situations when I'm lacing wheels with a little too much lubricant of the Belgian-blonde variety...

Your leading spoke is clearly leaving the flange at a much higher angle than your trailing spoke, even though they should be the same.
View attachment 175329

It usually means a spoke pattern f*ck=up. My advise is to remove all spokes, and restart the next morning with a clear head ;-)
haha, the other week when i was lacing my new DH wheels, i made a a few oopsys from teh beers. first i got my key spoke wrong - well, i thought i did. i had the hub rotated the wrong way, twisted it the other way and everything was right. then i had the first set of trailing spokes off by one hole. then i discovered a spare spoke after the second set of trailing spokes, apparently i had grabbed an incorrect length spoke from the other wheel (i lay my spokes out for prep and so they are organized when lacing). but thankfully i found the incorrect length spoke very quickly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

View attachment 175329

Yeah, was going to say that’s a 4x attempt.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, try it nao... You should be able to get a better angle for 3X. 2X would probably be fine but you'd usually need shorter spokes. Something isn't right.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
@MikeD the spoke in blue looks correct. since you are lacing 32h 3x there should be 3 spoke holes between each leading/trailing spoke per side.

View attachment 175335
Blue spoke is laced crossing two others. Wacky-angle spoke is laced crossing three. I obviously forked this all up. Don't lace angry, people. Even when stone sober.

My guess is the leading spokes on the drive side are wrong, but I'll pull back and see.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
I learned from Roger Mussons e-book in 2008, and still use my wooden DIY wheelstand to this day.
There have been evenings when I was lacing some weird patterns (8:16 on a 32h hub) where I got so confused at times, I just stared at the pattern for hours until I could solve it. Not advised for people with ADD, or people on acid.
IPA's work fine though, just stay away from DIPA's.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Okay, I'll try to be helpful...
People keep looking at spoke crossing patterns by actually counting the numbers of spokes they cross... this can be extremely misleading when you made a mistake somewhere.
Try to see the spoke-crossing-number (X3, X2) more as an 'offset from radial'.
So when lacing X3, a spoke should step aside from its radial position in the hub 3 holes.
1650572665435.png

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Okay, I'll try to be helpful...
People keep looking at spoke crossing patterns by actually counting the numbers of spokes they cross... this can be extremely misleading when you made a mistake somewhere.
Try to see the spoke-crossing-number (X3, X2) more as an 'offset from radial'.
So when lacing X3, a spoke should step aside from its radial position in the hub 3 holes.
View attachment 175349
1650573624852.png