Quantcast

spokes!! help!!

shifty S

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NWDC...Asheville
aiight so big wheel in bethesda has had my rim and hub for almost two weeks, but havent been able to get my wheel built since they dont have enough of the right size spokes to build my 24" rhynolite on xt disk hub (OMGFLANGESMAYBETHESPOKESWILLSTAYINTHEHUBNOW!)

theyve got 16/32 and cant seem to get their hands on any more than that...anyone happen to got some that will fit lyin around?

(lookin at you guys workin at shops.... :thumb:)

yup...

hey look a monkey ------> :dancing:

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
The shop is incompetent if they can't get you the spokes you need in less than a week. Period. It's a simple order they need to do from any one of multiple distributors.

Stiff said:
City Bikes in Adams Morgan has a spoke cutting tool. I no longer work there, and I'm now in San Francisco, otherwise I'd help you out. Give 'em a call.

Have you ever used one of those things? man, we had one at revo, it was a PITA to use. i had to use it to cut spokes to fit a wheel i was building. it took a long-ass time. don't forget that after you cut the spokes, you need to thread them too. PITA.

And the amount of time in which a shop can get parts you need is by no means a measure of their competence. Their suppliers aren't always in stock, they don't always immediately ship orders, sometimes they have minimum orders shops need to meet, etc etc.

that being said, you are shopping at Big Wheel. so it's probably because they are incompetent.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
What spoke cutting tool did you use? The Phil Wood is a thing of beauty; it cuts and threads in one turn of a crank. You can cut spoke for a wheel in about 5 minutes. Genious.

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
if a shop can't build a wheel for you in less than a week either means your spoke size is out of stock (unlikely), or some lazy f(*k can't pick up the phone and place the order (very likely).

maybe they're closed...hahaha

wait, is there an incesent smell of weed in their shop?

maybe they ordered in the spokes and can't find them...