Quantcast

sponsors-mtb-wtf?

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
seriously, I don't know of any other sport or activity that has more jacka sses that claim to be or are "sponsored". I'm sure this topic has been completely beat to death, but I just was looking through some results and some other crap on sponsorhouse, and there are so many people racing beginner and sport that have "sponsors".

It's bvllsh!t. Just ride your bike.

As you can see in my signature, I have got my sponsors locked down for the '08 season. Expect a formal press release soon from Fast Team Racing.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
It's just people trying to get some help paying for stuff. I was part of that 661 sponsorhouse thing when I raced sport. Why don't you stop worrying about other people and just ride your bike?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
if you could get 50% off of something by being a part of a website, wouldn't you do it? it really is worth it, i know people can look like tools sometimes, but it can really help save tons of cash.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The problem is there is only so much you can give. Why spread it throughout every class. Let the pros have what they deserve. It is ridiculous that our top pros are working full time jobs between races. I guess we can let our pros keep working their jobs so mr. sport rider can have a deal.

Anyone ever over hear the conversation in lift line between junior sport riders? It is almost completely focused on who is sponsored by who. Shouldn't these kids be there to race and not to brag about who they are sponsored by?

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
The problem is there is only so much you can give. Why spread it throughout every class. Let the pros have what they deserve. It is ridiculous that our top pros are working full time jobs between races. I guess we can let our pros keep working their jobs so mr. sport rider can have a deal.

Anyone ever over hear the conversation in lift line between junior sport riders? It is almost completely focused on who is sponsored by who. Shouldn't these kids be there to race and not to brag about who they are sponsored by?
This is exactly what I am talking about.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Oh so what some beginner and sport riders are happy they have grassroot deals with companies. It makes them feel more important and get more people interested in riding when they know they can get support at even a low racing level... They are trying to get as many people in the sport as they can. More racers mean more profits. Which mean more money for real pros. The reason pro's can't make a living racing is because it is not a main stream sport in the US. Do you really think some grassroots programs are going to hurt there profits enough to affect pro's?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Do what you can to save money in this sport......lotta guys cripple their finances....

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I think grassroots sponsors should be handed out at the bikeshop level personally. Making a post on ridemonkey complaining isn't going to fix anything. Sounds like venting though, so continue on :)

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
It's just people trying to get some help paying for stuff. I was part of that 661 sponsorhouse thing when I raced sport. Why don't you stop worrying about other people and just ride your bike?
I do ride my bike.

Listen, I'm not saying that people should try and take advantage of deals and stuff like that, you'd be a fool not to as expensive as this sport is. But, I just think the majority of the AVERAGE racers/riders in this sport are much too focused on sponsors and who's sponsored by which company and all that jazz.

I just can't stand these dinks that show up at races wearing full factory garb and say they are sponsored and all this crap, when in reality they are just a middle of the pack sport/beginner racer or something.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I just can't stand these dinks that show up at races wearing full factory garb and say they are sponsored and all this crap, when in reality they are just a middle of the pack sport/beginner racer or something.
There are some kids in my town who do that. They would get a brand new Sunday, and a full TLD kit, and a whole Sponsorhouse account, and head off and do pretty poorly at a race. Meanwhile, I'm racing in a t-shirt and shorts, spray painted with my name and BCD Racing. I think people are silly.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I'm ashamed to admit, I'm not part of the t-shirt crew. I do wear a jersey (go it for free) with the logos of kind-of-sponsors on the back (70% off).

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I do ride my bike.

Listen, I'm not saying that people should try and take advantage of deals and stuff like that, you'd be a fool not to as expensive as this sport is. But, I just think the majority of the AVERAGE racers/riders in this sport are much too focused on sponsors and who's sponsored by which company and all that jazz.

much better arguement right here. this whole thing was so widespread in whistler, i can't even tell you. for example, 2 guys that were in my riding group, each one sponsored by a different team. one had a fully blown yeti 303 with fox everything, the other had an m3 with X0, industry 9, world cups, blah. neither was a good rider at all, yet they were riding nicer bikes than 90% of the people on the lifts.

for me at least, the frustration is having people rolling up in full team gear, custom painted TLD lids, $6000+ bikes, and they are just bad riders. it's a false reassurance for some of the guys, they shouldn't be getting sponsors. it seems like they race to get/keep sponsors, not to actually enjoy the competition.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I'm ashamed to admit, I'm not part of the t-shirt crew. I do wear a jersey (go it for free) with the logos of kind-of-sponsors on the back (70% off).
I had a sponsorship account, and still play it every once in a while. I'm waiting for all my sponsorships to expire, and I only plan on keeping one factory sponsorship from ODI since they really really really helped me this last season.

As for the t-shirts. I don't see the point in jerseys. The only thing I have to rep is BCD Racing, and since the only jerseys we have are old(er) ones, I made Alex and I some t-shirts. I don't want to pay money when I can make like 10 shirts for a few bucks, and make all my own designs.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Not to mention, alot of my parts are beat and old. My 888 is from 2004, so I just take good care of it, and my DH frame cost me $300 dollars, which is actually cheaper than my DJ frame. Weird hu?

Milton Burl

Chimp
Jan 12, 2006
Issaquompton
No one has pointed out that the real problem here.......Company's offering their products to the people at wholsale prices because they say they race. You are lying if you say that if you were offered a product you were already planning to buy, for half price, you would'nt do it. Kids know they can get deals.....so they do.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Grassroots sponsorships are very important to me. Without them, I would in no way be able to afford to race at the level that I do on the equipment that I do.

The most important part of the sponsor/sponsoree equation is what the sponsored rider is willing to do in return for that sponsorship. The sponsorship is meaningless to the company if the rider just grabs for the goods, brags about being 'sponsored' and does nothing in return for that.

The rider needs to be willing to talk up the product; be friendly and approachable at races; develop friendships with fellow racers and earn their respect by giving 100% on the race course. And if things don't go well for you that day, suck it up, smile and go back to the truck to lick your wounds. Don't come sliding into the finsih area, throw down your helmet and stomp around. You're the ambassador for your companies every time you're on something with their logo stuck on it.

Give the company feedback throughout the season on how it's going and how the product is working for you. If you have a problem DON't TELL ANYONE ELSE about it but your sponsor. And don't gripe; but maybe offer a realistic suggestion about what might be altered or improved to make it work better in your situation.

Being a good sport, a good ambassador and communicating back are the ways even a grassroots racer can be of value to a company. In other words, even if you're 'just' a Sport, behave professionally.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The real problem is that companies will give their grassroots sponsorship to literally anyone. They get a thousand sponsorhouse applications, click "select all" with no regard to class or ability, and send everyone the same cost plus ten BS offer. This doesnt cost them a dime, in fact they make more off each individual product than by selling it to a bike shop. People who think they are being sponsored are in fact being used to give the company a better markup. This undermines bike shops, and devalues dh equipment in general, hurting pro riders who need to sell thier bikes at the end of the year. Then when a pro rider asks for real sponsorship, they all say they cant give out free bikes. Guess what, thats what sponsorship is, a reciprocal relationship. Giving out pricing when it doesnt hurt your bottom line at all is not sponsoring a rider. I could get pro deal when I turned thirteen and a half and started working at a bike shop. Nine years of cycling competition, pro in three different disciplines, and still paying the same cost. If it sounds like I have a chip on my shoulder its because I do. I've never been real good at kissing ass, and was a latecomer into the dh scene, making it difficult to develop any of the relationships that are the only real way to get anything these days. Instead of far flung and usury nonsense sponsorship, how about making sure your most dedicated and talented riders can at least afford to get to the race.

Special thanks to The Fix, Dakine, Maxxis, Kustom Kar Audio, Steve Wentz, Matt Thompson, My Mom, and your mom for actually taking a second or a dollar to help out. You rock.

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
i hear ya, when you say some people get over sponsored thats not cool, but eh my buddy has one of those deals and liek i sayed if i could get 50% off parts and get discounts on frames why not... because altho im still a newb in the sport i can already see the amount cash this hobby cost but eh im loving it so its all good

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
much better arguement right here. this whole thing was so widespread in whistler, i can't even tell you. for example, 2 guys that were in my riding group, each one sponsored by a different team. one had a fully blown yeti 303 with fox everything, the other had an m3 with X0, industry 9, world cups, blah. neither was a good rider at all, yet they were riding nicer bikes than 90% of the people on the lifts.

for me at least, the frustration is having people rolling up in full team gear, custom painted TLD lids, $6000+ bikes, and they are just bad riders. it's a false reassurance for some of the guys, they shouldn't be getting sponsors. it seems like they race to get/keep sponsors, not to actually enjoy the competition.

Word. Although some people are bad and just have the cash to spend, that in a way pisses me off, but if they paid for it what can you do. BUT if they come out with their million dollar bikes, saying there sponsored and riding like ****, walking down sections of whistler, thats where i would draw the line.

And i agree with people racing just to be sponsored, it seems all the sport/bignners get sponsored so they can say there sponsored, or so it makes them feel important, but when you get jr x riders, semi-pro and rpo, applying for sponsorships, that makes sense, because you know they will be doing a lot of competitive racing, and some extra support will help them loads.

whatever, let the groms do what they wish. . . .

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Last time I checked. I PAY THE PROS!!!! My $40 that I pay to race the SPORT class pays the PROS. Without me, there is VERY little money. SPONSERS don't pay everything. I do have a "SPONSOR HOUSE" deal. I race an M1, looking at getting an M3 or M6 from Intense. I had the chance to get a Yeti 303, but I was too slow. Ask around, I travel more then 10 hours sometimes to race. I work a 40 hour work week that is special set up so I can make races all over. I know I'm not that great. I don;t expect to be great, the ONLY time I get in my bike is at the races. But it is nice to get a deal buying a new frame or parts. I thank EVOMO, Freestyle watches, SMX Optics all the time. When I broke my ribs racing, EVOMO sent me a Get Well Card. I apppreciate EVERYTHING they do for me. So lay off the Grass Roots guy. If you want more prize money, get your Beginner/SPORT friend to come with you.

I know 2nd hand (COUSIN) ran one of the best racing series in Colorado. I ran the LAST World Cup in the US. It took the little guy to get the big guy paid. He has since sold it to YETI CYCLES.
SO BACK OFF MY ASS!!!!
Happy racing......

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
If someone is racing sport or beg, & has Already secured sponsors, KUDOS to them.

The companies all give sponsorships to promote their products, & most times you can pick up a "B" team or proform deal with a simple email & resume'.

The pros don't make much $$ because DH races don't have spectators buying T-shirts & hats like baseball etc. does.
USAcycling doesn't promote our sport for ****. Never has.. The Only people who ever know about a mtn bike race of any type are the racers themselves.. How many TV ads do you see for National races? NONE! EVER!

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I was at a race 2 years ago in Port Angels, WA. Jill Kitner & Bryn Atkinson showed up in a beat up Geo Metro. THAT maybe me wonder why they do this, other then the fact that they LOVE what they do.Wasn't it Kathy Pruitt that needed a ride to the US Open at Diablo this year?

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
Last time I checked. I PAY THE PROS!!!! My $40 that I pay to race the SPORT class pays the PROS. Without me, there is VERY little money.
Youv'e got to be kidding me, right? Your 40 dollars goes deep into the PROMOTERS pockets. WITH you there is very little money. Do some homework before you post something you know nothing about.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Youv'e got to be kidding me, right? Your 40 dollars goes deep into the PROMOTERS pockets. WITH you there is very little money. Do some homework before you post something you know nothing about.
No, that $40 pays gets the promoters Ferrari vacuumed......

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Now that I've hit that mid-30's, married, a son, a house, a good job and no time to race, I've realized that I could care less what everyone else is riding or wearing. If someone is making bank and can afford a sick ride, I say more power to them. Jealous are we? Just because you're not the best rider on the hill doesn't mean you should buy a lesser bike. Some of the attitudes here sound pretty elitist. Go out an get a job that affords you the budget to buy what you want.

On the subject of sponsorship, I get a kick out of the guys who get a sponsor, buy a pile of discounted product and then have to liquidate it the following year because they switched sponsors. Someone had mentioned the gear being devalued because of some of these sponsorships. I can't disagree with that.

younger22

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate NY
I do ride my bike.

how many riders have you heard say this? I am just curious why you are so pissed about this? Believe it or not, beginner and sport riders are important to a company because there are a lot of them out there. The more riders with their stuff, the better for them. Why try and turn away newer or progressing riders from the sport?