Quantcast

sponsors-mtb-wtf?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Buncha crybabies in here.

Sour grapes for people who got better sponsorship deals than you, and the rest are just bitching about people doing what they should be doing for their sponsors: promoting the brand.

If you're showing up to a race in beat up shorts with spraypaint on them, that's fine, but it doesn't make you automatically better than the guy with the TLD logo head to toe. Maybe you should put together a better race resume and a halfway decent letter to the sponsors and you won't have to show up in a t-shirt.

Sounds to me like it's not them too focused on their sponsors... it's you too focused on their sponsors. Maybe they feel better about showing up to a race if they don't have to do it in t-shirts. Maybe they ride only because they like the swag. In any event, though, it's money going into what is already a very poor/struggling industry and you should appreciate that. Stop worrying about what their focus is and enjoy the fact that there are other riders around dumping money into the R&D budgets of the companies that you love, and improving the profit margins at the racing venues you want to race.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts

Sour grapes for people who got better sponsership deals than you, and the rest are just bitching about people doing what they should be doing for their sponsers: promoting the brand.

If you're showing up to a race in beat up shorts with spraypaint on them, that's fine, but it doesn't make you automatically better than the guy with the TLD logo head to toe. Maybe you should put together a better race resume and a halfway decent letter to the sponsers and you won't have to show up in a t-shirt.

Sounds to me like it's not them too focused on their sponsers... it's you too focused on their sponsers. Maybe they feel better about showing up to a race if they don't have to do it in t-shirts. Maybe they ride only because they like the swag. In any event, though, it's money going into what is already a very poor/struggling industry and you should appreciate that. Stop worrying about what their focus is and enjoy the fact that there are other riders around dumping money into the R&D budgets of the companies that you love, and improving the profit margins at the racing venues you want to race.
Great post!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Haven't read through the entire post, but a few things.

I've never liked sponsorhouse. In fact I created a bit of a sh!tstorm a while back on here about the website.

As for the whole sponsorship thing. I don't care too much about what other people are doing. However I can't help but cringe when I see people pimping out Brand X or Y on this website like it's nobodies business and then I click on their signature links and see that they are a beginner racer. I take most stuff that I find online now with a grain of salt, in fact I'm probably a bit more skeptical about some brands and products now because of these people.

IMHO there is a significant amount of people that end up hurting their sponsors image more than helping it. Not because of the level they ride, but because they have no idea of how to market their sponsors.

*Edit*
I just want to clarify too that in no way do I think that someone's review of a product should be discounted because of the level they ride. I usually cringe no matter what level someone rides and they make online jagoff post for company a,b, or c. I said beginner because there have been some post lately that have set off my BS meter.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Youv'e got to be kidding me, right? Your 40 dollars goes deep into the PROMOTERS pockets. WITH you there is very little money. Do some homework before you post something you know nothing about.
81 racers Sport or below at the last Mt Hood Ski Bowl race. $30 per entry = $2430. 12 Pro's = $360. Man, math is hard. So your saying the "SPONSOR" of the race is throwing up more then $2500 to have there name at that race? Without the "lesser" class racer, no one would ever become a "PRO". Unless your Ricky Carmichael, he was rockin right out of his moma.

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
You can do your 4th grade math all you want, but what you cant do is say YOU PAY THE PROs. Your argument wasnt that sport class raises more money than pro (which everyone knows already) it was that your entry fee goes to the pros. Sure, without beginner classes there wouldnt be pros, I used to be a grom too. Pro payouts arent the greatest and you need to know that your money isnt what is paying the pros '87 trans am gas fills.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I agree with Inclag, at no time have I ever said anything about how awesome something is or isn't. Hell, I need help fixing my bike, from my SPONSOR...TRAIL HEAD CYCLES....LOL. I've never once said I'm bad ass because Blank or blank "SPONSORS" me. But I am BAD ASS because ERIC JEAN is my cousin. (And I'm going to Ride thoughs coat tails) In fact, I too feel the SPONSOR house thing is kind of a joke. A company "Sponsors" you so you can ONLY use there stuff. To me, thats great marketing, you have a captive retalor. But how many actually stick to the rules? I for one do. What does Crank Brothers get from Sponsoring me? Not a Picture of me on the Podium. But I will buy there new products for '08, things I don;t really need, but want, and can afford since they've given me "The Hook Up". Always remember, the Trai Head Cycle pit is open to EVERYONE. HOT DOGS!! HOT DOGS!!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
The problem is there is only so much you can give. Why spread it throughout every class. Let the pros have what they deserve. It is ridiculous that our top pros are working full time jobs between races. I guess we can let our pros keep working their jobs so mr. sport rider can have a deal.
Ya, giving lots of money to a top few people so they can ride their bikes all day. That really helps out everyone and the world in general. You me, ZOMFG people have to have jobs so they can ride their bikes?!?!?!?! What an f-ing injustice!!!!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
You can do your 4th grade math all you want, but what you cant do is say YOU PAY THE PROs. Your argument wasnt that sport class raises more money than pro (which everyone knows already) it was that your entry fee goes to the pros. Sure, without beginner classes there wouldnt be pros, I used to be a grom too. Pro payouts arent the greatest and you need to know that your money isnt what is paying the pros '87 trans am gas fills.
ROFLROFLROFL. Where do the money for the pro's come? Well lets see. Sponsors, entry fees, and non-bike sponsors for for riders and events. Do I get much of anything out of Sam Hill riding or no-name pro winning a race? Not really. Where do the sponsors and such get their money? Bike and part sales........which I pay for.......So I hate to tell you all, but pro contracts just add to the cost of our bikes and parts, simple accounting and economics.....

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
So I hate to tell you all, but pro contracts just add to the cost of our bikes and parts, simple accounting and economics.....
Sure conrtacts and title sponsorship money come from companies doing well, selling there products, and marketing correctly. I am telling you (again) that sport, beginner and even expert entry fees do not go to the pros. Hell we don't even get 100% of our entry fees back through the pay out. The reason that the cost of bike parts are going up could be a million things, like the fact that the suspension technician at IronHorse doesnt like to wipe his a$$ with anything but aloe induced charmin. Of course huge pro contracts are figured into that, but saying that you dont get anything out of pros getting help....HMMMM.... I guess all of the people that buy every video that comes out would rather grab a 2 hour video of Chauncie the sport super d racer farting around on the newest HC single track huh? DOUBT IT

jsh191

Monkey
Nov 16, 2006
birdsboro, pa
sorry, but it seems to me the underlying issue here isn't who's sponsored, who's flauntin' the bling, but moreso the fact that there are a consistent number of "posers" at every level of racing, riding and biking in general. i have no problem with people receiving grassroots support.... i rely on it as well. however, i do have a problem with individuals showing up with 5-6k bikes they never ride, gear that has never been dirty, acting and talking like God's gift to the biking world. if you want to ride in a t-shirt and jeans, fine... you're riding. if you want to ride head to toe in TLD gear, that's fine too... you're riding. if you want to stand around in TLD gear and tell me how sweet your stuff is, how sick the course is... then suzy-q it all day because you never actually ride your bike... i have a problem with that.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I was at a race 2 years ago in Port Angels, WA. Jill Kitner & Bryn Atkinson showed up in a beat up Geo Metro. THAT maybe me wonder why they do this, other then the fact that they LOVE what they do.Wasn't it Kathy Pruitt that needed a ride to the US Open at Diablo this year?
Umm yeah it was a newer Volkswagen Golf. Not that I don't agree with you! I am sure you tell a mean fishing story as well.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine

Sour grapes for people who got better sponsorship deals than you, and the rest are just bitching about people doing what they should be doing for their sponsors: promoting the brand.

If you're showing up to a race in beat up shorts with spraypaint on them, that's fine, but it doesn't make you automatically better than the guy with the TLD logo head to toe. Maybe you should put together a better race resume and a halfway decent letter to the sponsors and you won't have to show up in a t-shirt.

Sounds to me like it's not them too focused on their sponsors... it's you too focused on their sponsors. Maybe they feel better about showing up to a race if they don't have to do it in t-shirts. Maybe they ride only because they like the swag. In any event, though, it's money going into what is already a very poor/struggling industry and you should appreciate that. Stop worrying about what their focus is and enjoy the fact that there are other riders around dumping money into the R&D budgets of the companies that you love, and improving the profit margins at the racing venues you want to race.

Is this directed at me? if so I think you're completely missing my point.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Is this directed at me? if so I think you're completely missing my point.
It wasn't only directed at you, and I'm not sure I am. Didn't this address your initial point?
Maybe they feel better about showing up to a race if they don't have to do it in t-shirts. Maybe they ride only because they like the swag. In any event, though, it's money going into what is already a very poor/struggling industry and you should appreciate that. Stop worrying about what their focus is and enjoy the fact that there are other riders around dumping money into the R&D budgets of the companies that you love, and improving the profit margins at the racing venues you want to race.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
The real problem is that companies will give their grassroots sponsorship to literally anyone...
I've never gotten that impression from the companies that have sponsored me. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I've always felt like my resume/proposal was given thoughtful consideration before anything was extended to me. Most often, the sponsorship coordinator is the marketing director, or someone close under, who is an educated, literate person who I have to feel appreciates when they receive a well-put-together resume and sponsorship proposal. In the case of one particular brand, the 'sponsor me' e-mails route directly to the company president.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I've never gotten that impression from the companies that have sponsored me. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I've always felt like my resume/proposal was given thoughtful consideration before anything was extended to me. Most often, the sponsorship coordinator is the marketing director, or someone close under, who is an educated, literate person who I have to feel appreciates when they receive a well-put-together resume and sponsorship proposal.
Well put. I feel the same. Of course what do I know, I'm only a middle-aged Sport class rider. :rolleyes:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I support the pro racers at the races I go to. My entry fee helps to pay cash for there wins. I have a couple pro friends and they appreciate it.

As for the grassroots level sponsorships, I started with a sponsorhouse 'sponsorship' 2 years ago with a handful of 'sponsors'. Now I have actually built good relationships with a couple companies and now don't even deal with sponsorhouse at all. I have my own website I maintain to keep my sponsors and family updated on what I am up to. (check my signature)

I think the grassroots thing is important to the sport in getting it more popular and helping out people who normally would have a much harder time affording the sport they love. Just my opinion. I'm not a pro racer. I race in Sport and do for the most part.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Don't hate because I got sponsored based on my resume.

Me and my friends rip the gnar daily. I do big dropz and won the last race in the 16 and under beginner class with no chain. Sponsor me now.
Go read Jill from Haro's blog. She has some good examples on how not to get sponsored. Funny stuff.

Sponsorship is a marketing tool. You guys are nuts if you think that discounted product to sport riders doesn't make the company more money than if they had not sponsored the sport racer. It seems that these racers spend more $$$ than if they had not been sponsored. Everyone should be happy that they are spending their money to make it more affordable to everyone.

To the "pro" riders that think they should be getting $$$ rather than sport riders getting discounted product, go market yourself correctly and you will be able to get support.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
From an industry perspective, grassroots sponsorships are key and not always JUST about results. There is a lot more to racing than the end result of a given event or even an entire season. Companies want people out there at events who will be an ambassador for their brand, someone who will represent the products in a professional manner. Someone who is approachable and willing to talk about the products they represent.

It's often very hard for the sports marketing guys (most times only one or two people per company) to keep up with all the resumes that come in each fall. Services like Sponsorhouse can be helpful but ONLY if time and care is given to evaluate each profile instead of just accepting all applicants. When we were experimenting with Sponsorhouse, our main concern was not offering too many sponsorships because we didn't want to alienate our IBD's by selling around them.

I agree that there are seemingly lots of "under qualified" racers out there claiming to be sponsored and not upholding their part of the deal. If they were true professionals, they would not come out and say things like "oh, I get this for free". Statements like that are bad for the rider and the brand, devaluing both sides and essentially saying the riders is a whore who will run whatever he's given, and the product is not worthy of purchasing.

These are the types of relationships that need to be eliminated. But like I said earlier, it's very hard for one or two people to manage all the riders out there. We try to keep only a handful of guys on our program but even at that it's tough top keep tabs on all of them so you have to have faith in the people you work with. I wouldn't enter a relationship with an athlete unless I believe it to be mutually beneficial. Regardless of how fast said individual is. We value a high level of profesionalism over race results to a large degree but the ideal candidates will possess both qualities.

Here's my advice to aspiring racers looking for relationships with sponsors. this is a job you're applying for so treat it as such. If you cannot or will not uphold your end of the deal then do not apply. All you're doing is wasting the time of an already busy person and reducing the chances of someone more qualified than yourself even getting noticed in the first place.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
What's funny is people think it's sponsorship is different not than it was 10-15 years ago, or we're different than any other racing sport. Pick any racing sport and you'll people with sponsors that aren't getting great results or racing in the higher classes. It's all about marketing and getting your product out there. Most of the companies are still making money off the deals they give, they just cut the dealer profit out of it.

I don't see why people seem to hate Sponsorhouse so much. It was an interesting idea they came up with. Try to making managing sponsorships easier for the companies. It seems to work, those of us without engines are a really really small fraction of the site compared to the ones with them. If it didn't work for the companies, do you think so many of them across so many different sports would deal with them?

The only thing i can see that's changed in sponsorship in the 15 years I've been racing in MTBs is the factory supported shop teams are not around like they use to be. Back in the day if you road for a major company you were on the local shop team, now it's much more individual based. As the sport took the turn down it wasn't worth if for these shops to run them anymore.

If people think the sponsorship is bad you should have been around back then. If you were an expert and halfway decent you were on free gear, you got results bonuses, and not just at big races. Sport and beg riders back then had the deals that fast experts have now.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Here's my advice to aspiring racers looking for relationships with sponsors. this is a job you're applying for so treat it as such. If you cannot or will not uphold your end of the deal then do not apply. All you're doing is wasting the time of an already busy person and reducing the chances of someone more qualified than yourself even getting noticed in the first place.
Hey, I think I said something just about like that in my Mountain Bike Action article. Nice to see it confirmed from the 'other side' of the company/sponsor relationship Sean ;)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
What's funny is people think it's sponsorship is different not than it was 10-15 years ago, or we're different than any other racing sport. Pick any racing sport and you'll people with sponsors that aren't getting great results or racing in the higher classes. It's all about marketing and getting your product out there. Most of the companies are still making money off the deals they give, they just cut the dealer profit out of it.

I don't see why people seem to hate Sponsorhouse so much. It was an interesting idea they came up with. Try to making managing sponsorships easier for the companies. It seems to work, those of us without engines are a really really small fraction of the site compared to the ones with them. If it didn't work for the companies, do you think so many of them across so many different sports would deal with them?

The only thing i can see that's changed in sponsorship in the 15 years I've been racing in MTBs is the factory supported shop teams are not around like they use to be. Back in the day if you road for a major company you were on the local shop team, now it's much more individual based. As the sport took the turn down it wasn't worth if for these shops to run them anymore.

If people think the sponsorship is bad you should have been around back then. If you were an expert and halfway decent you were on free gear, you got results bonuses, and not just at big races. Sport and beg riders back then had the deals that fast experts have now.
Here's my non-10 minute rant as to why I don't like Sponsorhouse and much of the reason why is reflected in Sean's post. If you give an 8 year old a bunch of paint in prime colors and tell him to paint a replica ceiling of the Systine Chapel your going to end up with a painting that looks like something from Dr. Katz. Now if you give him all the paints he needs and a large paint by numbers canvas and maybe a years worth of energy drinks, you may end up with something pretty damn nice.

For those who spend allot of time making a nice proposal/resume it's insulting that you can't even use it if you want to use sponsorhouse. Instead everyone gets the same framework to build off of.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Here's my non-10 minute rant as to why I don't like Sponsorhouse and much of the reason why is reflected in Sean's post. If you give an 8 year old a bunch of paint in prime colors and tell him to paint a replica ceiling of the Systine Chapel your going to end up with a painting that looks like something from Dr. Katz. Now if you give him all the paints he needs and a large paint by numbers canvas and maybe a years worth of energy drinks, you may end up with something pretty damn nice.

For those who spend allot of time making a nice proposal/resume it's insulting that you can't even use it if you want to use sponsorhouse. Instead everyone gets the same framework to build off of.
It does take some of the effort out of it, but it also levels the field some for most people. What you say is much more important than how it looks. 1/2 the companies that don't use Sponsorhouse don't even take a full resume anymore, most of them have switched over to an online form you fill out. Times are changing weather you like it or not, and it's just not sponsorship. I can't remember the last time I actually mailed a full resume for a job to someone. Most companies won't even let you submit one electronically, you have to cut and past it into their forms.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Umm yeah it was a newer Volkswagen Golf. Not that I don't agree with you! I am sure you tell a mean fishing story as well.
I remember some local pro guy used to show up in some dilapidated(sp?) import hatchback then stpped up and bought some late 80's Acura and stuffed his DH in the back.
He was core...
Wait, what are you driving now?

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
As for Beg/Sport/Exp paying pro prizes, maybe at a national or other large scale race but not locally.

When we put on our series we paid back at least 100% of pro purse. But when you have 5 or less pro's thats not much. We had a set minimum we would pay out. The 5 pro entries came to $200 and our minimum pay-out was $300. This wouldn't have changed even if we had 200 non-pro racers. Well, if there were that many we might have thrown out a little more love.
And this isn't including the women pro's. Two, maybe three showing up and then getting complaints because we didn't pay equal for men and women?
Even though we charged the pro's $10 more than the other classes, about half the prize money was coming out of our pockets.
And we weren't driving Porches or Ferraris. We more or less lost our ass on the deal? Love of sport doesn't pay the bills.

I would be willing to bet Petr at Hood follows a similar formula. I remember racing there and the prize money was always the same whenever I got some. I never got into the top five (least not while there were enough people there to affect the prize money) so I am not sure if that amount varied if he had a big turn-out though?

I think the bottom line is if pro's want more prize money they need more pro's to show up. At least on the local level.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
But back on topic, I have always felt that all sponsorship deals, except maybe some pro's, should be ran through a local dealer. I do not or have ever worked for a shop but it just makes sence.

I understand that by giving a sponsorship with a requirement of not running other companies equipment you are guaranteeing more sales for your company.
Also, every sponsorship I have had anything to do with only allowed you to by the higher end of the product range. Like with SRAM your options were X-9 or X-0. Yes you got a great deal but you may not have bought the high end stuff if you weren't getting that deal.
Like was said before, the sponsor price is usually slightly higher than wholesale, so they are making a few nickels more from you. The profit margin on the higher end product is a few nickles more than the lower end product. But no love for the independant bike shop owner.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
It does take some of the effort out of it, but it also levels the field some for most people. What you say is much more important than how it looks. 1/2 the companies that don't use Sponsorhouse don't even take a full resume anymore, most of them have switched over to an online form you fill out. Times are changing weather you like it or not, and it's just not sponsorship. I can't remember the last time I actually mailed a full resume for a job to someone. Most companies won't even let you submit one electronically, you have to cut and past it into their forms.
I'm all for helping out people that want to get involved and be sponsored. However, I don't like the way sponsorhouse does it. It helps a number of beginners and people that don't know what sponsors are looking for and provides a tool that enables them to get involved with sponsorship (which I'm for), but it is there for every and anyone to abuse.

Also it doubles as a social networking site, so there are people who are there merely to see how many "friends" they can get and flaunt their sponsors.

As for the latter which you state. I'm going to disagree. Some companies have online forms, but I don't know a single person that was hired that way. In fact every friend from school that I know has networked, called hr departments, cold-called, attended fairs etc. in order to secure a job.

Look I think our team is unique and we have some good peoples, track record among the New England mountian bike community, and a very well thought out proposal. I don't want to butcher it to fit SH's format, and to be honest it is a combined effort that is allot of hard work and time that I don't want out there for the general public to see. I think SH is great in that a team has some simple tools to build a website.

Also, a certain company that will remain nameless once turned down our team and referred us to sponsorhouse after I had contacted them about submitting a proposal. Now a few years later this company has talked with one of our members asking why we haven't come to them and has asked about seeing our proposal. What has changed between now and then? Nothing has. Our team still has the same attitude, drive, and overall blast riding, racing, and hanging out that we have had for years and I hope to think that most everyone knows us as pretty upstanding individuals. We have grown for sure, so is that the only reason they now are considering us outside of sponsorhouse which last I knew was the only way to get sponsorship from them???

richhouseman

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Temecula
There are some really good posts in this thread. Some riders truly do know the importance of the Sponsor / rider relationship, some obviously don’t.
For the riders in this thread who believe they deserve sponsorship over their fellow competitor, please call me. I think it would be interesting to hear your opinions on that.
For those still not supporting SponsorHouse, I think it still comes down to what you truly believe companies are looking for in a Resume/Proposal.
Someone said it already, but do you actually know what companies read and respond to in a resume??? I'm willing to bet it's much less than you'd expect.
But that's not to downplay the importance of a clean professional resume, which explains who and what you're all about. SponsorHouse provides a platform for connecting to the industry. It may not be the single only thing that gets you "support", but it surely will aid you in that effort. It's been second to none for me, in building an online community around my racing efforts. I too have my own website.
Sponsorship will take on plenty of meanings for all riders, some have had it, some want it, some don't know what it is, some know too much for they're own good! But, companies trying to sift through the numerous requests for grassroots / support level deals, SponsorHouse provides a legit filtering service.
I too believe the support level deals should be handled through local shops and dealers. They’ll always have the inside scoop as to who the local talent is. SponsorHouse has some pretty amazing tools for gathering and communicating to groups of athletes in different areas of the country. That info is easily transferable between X company and their respective dealers. You’d also be surprised at how many of these local shops don’t step up and support these riders. I’ve heard it from both ends, let’s just say that.

Anyway, I thought I’d give my 2 cents, not really looking for any kind of E-fight! I’m down to chat with whoever wants to though! Call me at work. 888-874-3374 x107

Big HOuse

Rich@sponsorhouse.com

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Chris - Glad to see you still have some fire in ya.

Sponsorship is a two way street and I am kind of bummed right now about my situation.
I typically run my Public Enemy t-shirt. No love from Public Enemy yet.... I'll show Chuck D whats up by badmouthing him at the next race. I think I should drop them as a sponsor and ride for Eric B and Rakim... or maybe even EPMD next year.

ahh.... who am I kidding... I will never get sponsored.....

Michael
e.thirteen

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
Chris - Glad to see you still have some fire in ya.

Sponsorship is a two way street and I am kind of bummed right now about my situation.
I typically run my Public Enemy t-shirt. No love from Public Enemy yet.... I'll show Chuck D whats up by badmouthing him at the next race. I think I should drop them as a sponsor and ride for Eric B and Rakim... or maybe even EPMD next year.

ahh.... who am I kidding... I will never get sponsored.....

Michael
e.thirteen
Ha!

were you around for team getout? we were sick.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I'm all for helping out people that want to get involved and be sponsored. However, I don't like the way sponsorhouse does it. It helps a number of beginners and people that don't know what sponsors are looking for and provides a tool that enables them to get involved with sponsorship (which I'm for), but it is there for every and anyone to abuse.

Also it doubles as a social networking site, so there are people who are there merely to see how many "friends" they can get and flaunt their sponsors.

As for the latter which you state. I'm going to disagree. Some companies have online forms, but I don't know a single person that was hired that way. In fact every friend from school that I know has networked, called hr departments, cold-called, attended fairs etc. in order to secure a job.

Look I think our team is unique and we have some good peoples, track record among the New England mountian bike community, and a very well thought out proposal. I don't want to butcher it to fit SH's format, and to be honest it is a combined effort that is allot of hard work and time that I don't want out there for the general public to see. I think SH is great in that a team has some simple tools to build a website.

Also, a certain company that will remain nameless once turned down our team and referred us to sponsorhouse after I had contacted them about submitting a proposal. Now a few years later this company has talked with one of our members asking why we haven't come to them and has asked about seeing our proposal. What has changed between now and then? Nothing has. Our team still has the same attitude, drive, and overall blast riding, racing, and hanging out that we have had for years and I hope to think that most everyone knows us as pretty upstanding individuals. We have grown for sure, so is that the only reason they now are considering us outside of sponsorhouse which last I knew was the only way to get sponsorship from them???
Couple things I think you're confusing what's SH does. They're a business that contacts the athletes with companies for sponsorship. No one forces a company to use it, or only use it. It's up to the company to use best. For some it's easier then getting phone calls all day long from people looking for deals. Companies change how they do things all the time. The sponsorship people change all the time and they all have their own way of doing it.

I don't see how people could abuse SH. You put uf info it either gets you a deal or not. Same way as a resume.

As far as jobs go i don't know what areas your friends are in, but you can't even get on the phone with and HR person in most large companies. Most use automated programs to look over your resume a real person doesn't even read it till the program kicks it out. Now in small companies it's a little different obviously. SH doesn't do anything different than monster or careerbuilder....etc.