Quantcast

Sport Bikes AKA coffin on wheels

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
IMO I wouldn't buy a salvage title unless you get a killer deal. They just aren't worth crap if you want to sell. For some reason, people think their dirty title is worth almost what a clean title is. It doesn't take much to get a bike written off, but it's still a bad investment to make on something that is already depreciating asset. A while ago I paid $5k for a clean 04 R1 that I sold a year later for $5.5k. There's nothing wrong with a lot of salvaged titled bike, but if you want to sell, you'll get hosed or sit on it forever. Spend the time and find something you like that's clean.

Sweet conversion. What handlebars did you use?

There is an 07 GSXR 600 that's a rebuilt title here. I wasn't sure if I should look at it. Anything I should really look closely at if I go see it?
The problem with salvage/rebuilt title bikes is you "might" not be able to tell if the frame, forks and wheels are straight. Thats something that you may not notice unless you ride it and usually at higher speeds.
If u personally know the story for example and your buddy had a minor crash but the fairing (plastics) replacement was so expensive that he just had the insurance co. total it out then its not a bad way 2 go.
All the new bikes(lets say 2001 and up) are almost always thin wall aluminum to save weight and do NOT survive crashes like the old steel frame sportbikes.
Ask alot of questions and if it doesn't pass your "gut check" then keep shopping.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
IMO I wouldn't buy a salvage title unless you get a killer deal. They just aren't worth crap if you want to sell. For some reason, people think their dirty title is worth almost what a clean title is. It doesn't take much to get a bike written off, but it's still a bad investment to make on something that is already depreciating asset. A while ago I paid $5k for a clean 04 R1 that I sold a year later for $5.5k. There's nothing wrong with a lot of salvaged titled bike, but if you want to sell, you'll get hosed or sit on it forever. Spend the time and find something you like that's clean.
:stupid:

I know for a fact I would never get what I put into it back out, but some of that money was burned in trial/error. But had the title been clean, I would have lost a lot less (invested $12k buying/building, sold for $7500).

The new owner was too scared to ride it, but won't sell it back to me, even for the same price he paid. It just looks pretty in the garage. :rofl:

<edit> Before I gave him any money for the bike, I had it checked out by the local Yamaha dealer to make sure it was square. They checked everything over and made sure everything was within spec. Not to say there couldn't still be frame damage that isn't seen and as LOOn pointed out, aluminum doesn't handle stress like steel.

My FZ1 was a Gen1 steel frame that rolled. I was able to bend the seat subframe back into place without issue, but would not have tried that with aluminum. :rofl:

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Trust me, I'll be the first one to say that if you enjoy it, go for it. I don't pay for hobby stuff to make money, I do it because I enjoy it. All I know is that around here, nobody seems to sell salvage titled bikes for what they would actually be worth.

Like Loonatic mentioned, if I knew the history on something and got a good deal or got a smoking deal where it was worth the gamble, then sure. But seeing as the ratio of f'tards:normalcy seems to be quite a bit higher in the street bike scene, I would tend to not trust people.

I would much prefer to pay a bit more up front and get something I know is worth what I paid for it, if not finding a deal and knowing I could probably get more or at least ride it and break even. Obviously, like pretty much every other hobby, extras really won't make it worth any more, they just make it more appealing to a seller.

The budget you said you have, I would think you could pick up a really clean, low mileage bike, especially in a 600. If it were me, I wouldn't even waste my time with a dirty title and that's always my first question, since most people don't seem to be very up front about it. Buy something nice, don't f it up and older bikes won't really lose much value. They tend to depreciate pretty much all up front in the first 2-3 years.

I was able to bend the seat subframe back into place without issue, but would not have tried that with aluminum. :rofl:

Cool-TRU story bro: Back in the day i would a come-along strap my CBR subframe to a lightpost at little Talledega to straighten her out after a get -off. Yeah it was heavier but a steel frame sportbike was more privateer friendly than the new stuff. My track ride now is a 98 CBR 600F3 with some HRC bits. Its a fun easy to ride bike.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Cool-TRU story bro: Back in the day i would a come-along strap my CBR subframe to a lightpost at little Talledega to straighten her out after a get -off. Yeah it was heavier but a steel frame sportbike was more privateer friendly than the new stuff. My track ride now is a 98 CBR 600F3 with some HRC bits. Its a fun easy to ride bike.
I used a come-a-long and the bumper of my truck. :rofl:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
There are very few SM's up here. How are the big single cylinders on the highway?

I found a CBR and a 636 to go have a look at next weekend.
I rode my older DRZ400sm 96 highways each way one a week when i dated a girl in van nuys. That bike was buzzy at 70, the 625 is viby to begin with but it'll run 100+ fairly easy stock and with the right gearing above that.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would go look at something like this:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/mcy/3620495828.html

I have no idea where you are in Canada. I just picked a random location. I personally have no issues traveling if I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting and it's what I want.
:stupid: That is a damn nice bike.

I always loved the R6 but I was 275ish when I had the R1 and couldn't tuck on the R6. Now that I am 215, I fit real well on the R6 and have been tempted to build one instead. I just know exactly what to do on the R1 because mine was about 90% from being the perfect "street bike" IMO.

One major change I did n the R1 was regear/retune for 7k power rather than 10k stock. The R6 has an even higher powerband, so making it streetable is more of a challenge.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Been thinking of chopping down to a 600 for my next bike, and the current leader of the pack is the MV Augusta F3.
sexy bike and insane handling.
Which will probably cause me to get into legal trouble again.........

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
That is a nice bike. I have no problem with a bike depreciating; I'll buy this one and probably not buy one for a long time. It's just for fun and to get out in the wind.

Going to look at the one in Surrey would give me a reason to DH on the west coast again....

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There's not much to inspect. Check the frame, make sure it runs and idles. IMO, talking with the owner gives me more of an indication of the bike than actually looking at the bike.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have done some laps at BIR on a RC8, Fast, great brakes, nice power delivery.

Fragile as glass on a tip over.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Honda Hornet.... also called a CB599 or 919 cc. Great standard upright shredder for fairly cheap.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had a thread?
Someone posted about a track day on the RC8 and there was one that was wrecked that day (I recall pics of the damaged one). Maybe there was another monkey on here that rode it? Make that 2 bastards, then.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz

This here is my daily ride. Sometimes only being 5'10" comes in handy.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I had a hypermotard for a minute. Unless you were really on your game, and were ok with the front wheel coming up as you hard exited corners, I'd advise against that.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Did you have the 796 or the 1100? The new ones look like they're 821cc.

I wish a Japanese company would make a comparable bike to the Hypermotard. It's everything I want in a bike except for the crazy wheelie action.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Someone posted about a track day on the RC8 and there was one that was wrecked that day (I recall pics of the damaged one). Maybe there was another monkey on here that rode it? Make that 2 bastards, then.
I might have started a thread, yes I was on the KTM track day and a guy waded the 1190 I posted pics. somewhere.

I had a XR650R Supermoto years ago and many dirt bikes, if they broke as easily as that 1190 did, people wouldn't ride dirt bikes.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Did you have the 796 or the 1100? The new ones look like they're 821cc.

I wish a Japanese company would make a comparable bike to the Hypermotard. It's everything I want in a bike except for the crazy wheelie action.
I had the 1100 because I thought I was a Billy Badass. I think I kept that bike for six months. Every day was some sort of "I think I just shat myself" sort of event on that bike. I moved down to an S4RS Monster, and was a much happier camper. The front end of the Hyper was too light for me. Then again, I ride clip-ons on my Monster, so YMMV.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I'd only go for the 796. 1100cc's on that bike would be nuckin futs. There are so few around here that guys want a mint for them. more than twice the price I paid for the gixxer.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I picked one of these up on the cheap so I have something to do this winter. Any ideas on what I do to make it look cool?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Waiting on a call back from the bank on one of these...

<edit> Y'all know I will hack the sh!t out of this Raven as soon as the rain comes. Streetfighter 2.OMG

Last edited: