Quantcast

SPRFLS - on the history of bashguards and bmx....

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
what do yall think?

from http://sprfls.blogspot.com/. . . .

Progression? The bashguard didn't represent progression. It was a mere mutation in the gene pool, like standing platforms or Z-Rims. A BMX appendix. Bashguard bikes were heavy and unwieldly, yet they were still weak enough that your average 13-year-old could destroy one in a summer. When they passed on in the mid-'90s, I don't recall a single rider shedding a tear. Around 1993 I replaced my broken 1991 GT Aggressor with a 1985 Haro Sport and considered it an upgrade.

If anything, bashguard bikes represented the Hot Topicification of BMX—big companies finding a way to profit from a legitimate movement. Only riders were slowly waking to the fact that they didn't NEED these companies to tell them what was cool. The time period that followed has been dubbed the "dark days" of BMX, as bike sales dropped precipitously, pro riders were forced to get real jobs, and magazines went out of business. But BMX never died, it just re-focused. Those may have been dark days financially, yes, but they also birthed rider-owned companies like S&M, Hoffman and Standard, not to mention Ride magazine and Props. Dark days? No way. That was the period of enlightenment, as riders realized how much power they really had. What followed was the Renaissance. Bashguard bikes were an end, not a beginning.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yep, I'm a follower as well. He definitely knows his history. And his articles are cleverly written and pretty damn funny. But, he seems so resistant to the trends (some of which aren't all that bad) that drive bmx.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Yep, I'm a follower as well. He definitely knows his history. And his articles are cleverly written and pretty damn funny. But, he seems so resistant to the trends (some of which aren't all that bad) that drive bmx.
i'm pretty sure i recall seeing his fixie posted on bmxboard. but it's a pure o.g. nyc-streets-inspired fixie, not a trendy fixie.

. . . . .[edit]

Last edited:

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Wow, never saw that site, but suddenly I have a lot less time at work.

BTW, one of my buddies is a retro bmx nut. He just picked up one of the Haro bash frames last weekend and was all tweaked out about it. I shook my head inside and agreed that it was awesome :-)

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
dude is the type to hate on mtbmx. and if pressed he might admit blackmarket is cool "because they're made by S&M."
i know who the dude is and he never ever gave me trouble for my tonic mtbmx anytime i see him at bk banks. so i'm not super sure why you're saying that, i probably missed something....

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Yeah. Nice guy, and he owns MTBs that some people would give up a nut for.

i know who the dude is and he never ever gave me trouble for my tonic mtbmx anytime i see him at bk banks. so i'm not super sure why you're saying that, i probably missed something....
fair enough, i take it back. i've never met him. i had him partly confused with another bmxboarder.