Quantcast

Spring Change? 888 Need experienced Help!

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I have done this before, and know how, I'm looking for any tips or advice.

I just sold my 8" in favor of a 7" 888......

I am swapping the springs, I have the axle clamps, to clamp the cartridge with.

I am clamping the cartridge and trying to spin off the top cap, but it just continues to spin the cartridge, I called up zocchi to ask how tight I could clamp the axle vises on the cartridge rod.

they said pretty damn tight basically......

I proceeded to clamp down really snug, it still just spins inside the vises......

anyone else ran into this? or have any tips on how to get them off?

I tried using a rubber glove and cutting a small piece out of it and placing it between the vise clamps and cartridge rod, and it still just spun?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As lame as it sounds, the 888 manual says that spring change should be performed by a service center, not the user, and there's a bunch of people that have messed them up because tehy are different than past marzocchis and obviously have some real lightweight parts to save weight. Maybe someone here knows, but I'd advise you to be very carefull if/when you proceed.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by Jm_
As lame as it sounds, the 888 manual says that spring change should be performed by a service center, not the user, and there's a bunch of people that have messed them up because tehy are different than past marzocchis and obviously have some real lightweight parts to save weight. Maybe someone here knows, but I'd advise you to be very carefull if/when you proceed.
yeah I am/will be careful, it's really buggin me that I changed the springs in my other one, and this one is being such a pain......

I have the same tools they do and he said (tech at zocchi) I was doing it as he would and he didn't have any other suggestions, there aren't any "service centers" around I'm it, lol, I work on forks really often at the shop, but it has to be mine that wants to be difficult! ggggrrrrrrr

I'm gonna be pretty unhappy if I have to send it back just to have the springs swapped......

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I'd get some alcohol and wipe the shaft down so there's no oil residue on it; if it's oily it'll just spin pretty much no matter what.

Yeah, after that thread on MTBR I'd be very cautious! :rolleyes: Aren't you supposed to loosen the red jam nut before turning the top cap?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by DßR
I'd get some alcohol and wipe the shaft down so there's no oil residue on it; if it's oily it'll just spin pretty much no matter what.

Yeah, after that thread on MTBR I'd be very cautious! :rolleyes: Aren't you supposed to loosen the red jam nut before turning the top cap?
I did loosen the jam nut before turning the top cap....... I didn't see that thread, maybe I should look and just send it in hahahaha

thanks for the warning guys....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I have one as well.
I need to adjust my preload. Do I need a special tool for that to, or is it if I just want to change springs. The directions in the manual say nothing about needing a special tool for the preload.
Any tips?
Thanks.

Sep 10, 2001
Jeremy,
No special tools for the preload adjustment... Just be careful and don't let the clip fall into the fork.

As for the top cap/ jam nut removal, you can get pretty damn tight on the vise blocks without damaging the cartridge... Mine was the same way... Just be careful and don't try to force it too much.

Brian

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Originally posted by profro
I want a 888. :(
I should not have let you ride it, eh?
Its like sliding the "ring" from Lord of the Rings on your finger, and then taking it back.;)

Thanks for the info Brian.
I will change it up tonight and see.
I sent you an email about a logo thingy.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by Jeremy R
I should not have let you ride it, eh?
Its like sliding the "ring" from Lord of the Rings on your finger, and then taking it back.;)

Thanks for the info Brian.
I will change it up tonight and see.
I sent you an email about a logo thingy.
Jeremy, don't let the lil c clip go shootin off and lose it either it's tiny, changing the preload is really easy, no special tools, just like Brian said, you'll have it done in 30 min's for sure.

I was back in touch with tech at zocchi (ronny) and he's been a great help, I may end up just sending it back in even though they are like 2 weeks backed up :(

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Thanks for the info guys.
I got the preload changed in no time.
I actually just used my fingers to move the c-clip. It worked well.
I started off with a screwdriver, but I was picturing it flying across the room. That thing is tiny!
It feels perfect now.
Did you get your springs changed Castle?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by Jeremy R
Thanks for the info guys.
I got the preload changed in no time.
I actually just used my fingers to move the c-clip. It worked well.
I started off with a screwdriver, but I was picturing it flying across the room. That thing is tiny!
It feels perfect now.
Did you get your springs changed Castle?
nah, I spent a good bit of time on it today and decided to let it sit for a little while and install some of the other stuff on the bike.

just kinda walk away and come back to it with more patience later typa thing......

what's really buggin me is my 8" one, wasn't really any trouble at all to swap the springs, and they are the same thing......

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Originally posted by BigMike
We learned at Massanutten, all you need is a shop rag, Channel locks, a few assorted wrenches, a metal file and a hammer :eek::eek:
And he still didn't get the springs changed!

Mike

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by jncarpenter
....so, what is this "bike" you're referring to?:)
well, it was a vpfree until they gave me a July ETA, and now they say june, but as you all know, santa cruz's ETA's can be easily 3 weeks off, and that would put in me into July, mid summer, that's missing too much riding..... they had this in stock....

so I snagged it.....

not sure how long I'll have it, but it'll give me experience on walking beam 4 bars, horst link 4 bars, and now a single pivot, maybe soon a vpp design......

should be fun and suit my riding quite well......

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by BigMike
We learned at Massanutten, all you need is a shop rag, Channel locks, a few assorted wrenches, a metal file and a hammer :eek::eek:

hmmm? :rolleyes: :D I think I'll stick with the zocchi tools.....

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Castle
well, it was a vpfree until they gave me a July ETA, and now they say june, but as you all know, santa cruz's ETA's can be easily 3 weeks off, and that would put in me into July, mid summer, that's missing too much riding..... they had this in stock....

so I snagged it.....

not sure how long I'll have it, but it'll give me experience on walking beam 4 bars, horst link 4 bars, and now a single pivot, maybe soon a vpp design......

should be fun and suit my riding quite well......

Wow - well look on the bright side - it's Rootbeer!!

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
the thing I like about this frame over the vpfree is the fact, that it has 2-3" more standover, as well as alot shorter wheelbase,

the med vpfree has a longer wheelbase than a large bullit.......

since I'm not racing, I believe this bike should suit my riding quite well.......

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
oh Doug.. you don't NEED a 888, but until you get one you won't be as cool as me. Gotta get the full 8" tho... No substitution for a full 8 inches, ask the ladies.