Quantcast

Spring North East Monkey gathering.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
you need to pick a date a time and a place and go for it - whoever turns up turns up.

I think this is how the original monkeyfest got it's start

I think IAB and Deyv picked the date, and place and then it all fell into place from there.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
I think IAB and Deyv picked the date, and place and then it all fell into place from there.
Yup. Me and Deyv picked a place and weekend to ride together, then just extended the invite to everyone else. Viola, Monkeyfest was born.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
McGRP01 said:
I think is is an excellant idea! From the pics I've seen, you guys have some excellent riding in your area!
Yep! We do. But campgrounds are kinda sucky around here. But yep we've got Soapstone, Case Mountain, Nepaug, Nasshegon, etc. etc. etc.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
MMcG said:
Let's do it in Connecticut! :)
Freekin why not. I would make the trip. I am having a little get together here in Rochester in June. All are welcome but it will likely only involve only epic trail riding so I doubt it would be of much interest to most folks here. The rides will be here at Letchworth (down and back 40 something miles), Ellicotville (requires a roadtrip from here and we will start early and finish late. Expect 30/40 miles), and the final day will be riding at Cutler or Spenser (wrap up ride 10/15 miles depending). Camping will be at Ontario County park in Bristol ($6 a site). The tentative dates are June 16th - 19th. I will post details here as I get sponsors and things firmed up. My idea so far is to have community grills, shuttles to rides, and rent a pavillion if I have enough folks attending......jdcamb

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I'd make the trip to Connecticut, It would have to be in Late April or Early April though for me March consists of too much events I am obligated to go to. Mid april I'll be in Quebec, May unless it is the first weekend is pretty taken up between graduation and getting my life in order.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well WTF Opeth, you want to get a gathering organized but you're not going to be around at all?

Cancel your Quebec plans. They don't like Americans, anyway. :)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I maybe up for something in June or July. Some where relatively close to an airport please.
Well THE gathering is July 22-24. The closest airport is 90 minutes away, I think. Pigboy flew into Boston, I believe. Squeak flew into Montreal.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
McGRP01 said:
Hartford has an airport. :thumb:
Well if he is thinking about Monkeyfest, Hartford is a four hour drive. If he is thinking about any other time, MtnBikerChk and I live 15 minutes from the Hartford (Bradley International) airport. :)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Sweet, I have a good friend that lives in Milford that I have not visited since he moved. Besides I really like the pictures you guys always post (IAB, TonyHawk etc).

And a certain pair of MTBers owe me some guided riding for car buying advice

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Sweet, I have a good friend that lives in Milford that I have not visited since he moved. Besides I really like the pictures you guys always post (IAB, TonyHawk etc).

And a certain pair of MTBers owe me some guided riding for car buying advice

Westwoods is near Milford (great MTB trails there). :drool:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
Well THE gathering is July 22-24. The closest airport is 90 minutes away, I think. Pigboy flew into Boston, I believe. Squeak flew into Montreal.
Fly into Burlington, VT or Manchester, NH for THE gathering.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Rip said:
I'd make the trip to Connecticut, It would have to be in Late April or Early April though for me March consists of too much events I am obligated to go to. Mid april I'll be in Quebec, May unless it is the first weekend is pretty taken up between graduation and getting my life in order.
Rip - you started the thread - the ball is in your court to pick a site and a date!

My CT post was just a suggestion - nothing more, nothing less. Just thought CT would be fairly central for Monkeys from NY, MA, RI, and even VT, and obviously the CT Monkey contingent could or would be in full force.

So Rip - pick a time, a date, and a place and see what happens.

That is all.

MMcG

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
MMcG said:
You'll have to show us around there this season Tony!! Are those trails more suitable to the Cheeta or the Hollowpoint?
I'd say it's more of a Cheeta kind of place - lotsa rocks, drops from 2 to 24 feet, steep rollers, somewhat flat...

There's a note on Bikerag that says something about access in Trumbull being threatened - I'm not sure when that went up, but will find out if it's still legal to ride there.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I'd be down for a monkey fest, work and whatnot permitting. CT doesn't sound bad I have a buddy whose family owns a house on killington who lives in CT so I could hit there as well and kill two birds with one stone.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
GumbaFish said:
I'd be down for a monkey fest, work and whatnot permitting. CT doesn't sound bad I have a buddy whose family owns a house on killington who lives in CT so I could hit there as well and kill two birds with one stone.
I like the idea of CT the best. But Killington has always been a fun place to ride also. I would be down with that. I just need a place to set up a tent is all....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
wooglin said:
Nice. What is that, dirt road, snowmobile trail and ski run?

Needs a scale btw. :)
Yeah some dirt road, some road, some sucky climbs, some ski trails. But almost half is cool singletrack (about 16 miles). The ride actually has different routes for different skill levels so it is hard to say. It is what you make it. As of now I don't have permission to run about 1/3 of the ride. The illustrated route is 25 miles. It will probably be different. We'll see......jdcamb

Elevation map...