Quantcast

Spring rate question for v10

BSX4ever22

Chimp
Jun 4, 2004
clayton, CA
I just finished building my v10 and I went onto santa cruz's web site to check out which spring rate I should be running on my 5th element. Santa cruz list that I should be running a 350 pound spring rate since I weigh 140lbs but when I bought the 350 and put it on it feels way soft just bouncing around on the bike. Im not sure if I am not setting up the shock the wrong way or if I need a different spring rate.

Thanks
Ryan

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I'm assuming that the V10 uses a 3" stroke shock. If that's the case, you've got the proper spring rate according to the TF Tuned Shox spring calculator. Remember, the V10 is designed to run up to 4" of sag, so it probably should feel mushy when just bouncing on it. Once you get it on the trail, however, this will translate into a bike that feels glued to the ground, which is how the bike is supposed to feel.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Even with the different shock stroke, the calculator still comes up with a 370 lb spring, so round down and you're supposed to be using a 350 lb spring. (I rounded down because the difference between 350 and 370 is smaller than the difference between 370 and 400.)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
BSX4ever22 said:
I just finished building my v10 and I went onto santa cruz's web site to check out which spring rate I should be running on my 5th element. Santa cruz list that I should be running a 350 pound spring rate since I weigh 140lbs but when I bought the 350 and put it on it feels way soft just bouncing around on the bike. Im not sure if I am not setting up the shock the wrong way or if I need a different spring rate.

Thanks
Ryan
Raise the air pressure in 10 psi increments and see if it feels better for you. Start with 110 psi. The 350 lb/" spring is correct for you weight.

Make sure to adjust the sag when you adjust the air pressure. You can also increas the beginning stoke compression damping to take a little bit of the "soft" feeling out of it. That said, the SC settings are a very good baseline if you want to go fast. The parking lot test is a bad way to see how well a bike will perform on a race course.

BSX4ever22

Chimp
Jun 4, 2004
clayton, CA
dexterq20 said:
I'm assuming that the V10 uses a 3" stroke shock. If that's the case, you've got the proper spring rate according to the TF Tuned Shox spring calculator. Remember, the V10 is designed to run up to 4" of sag, so it probably should feel mushy when just bouncing on it. Once you get it on the trail, however, this will translate into a bike that feels glued to the ground, which is how the bike is supposed to feel.
dexter thanks for showing me the link to the spring weight calculator. The 350 spring is the spring rate suited for me. I just realized I was running a spring that was 200lbs to heavy for me, no wonder why the rear wheel didnt stick as much as i thought

BSX4ever22

Chimp
Jun 4, 2004
clayton, CA
ChrisKring said:
Raise the air pressure in 10 psi increments and see if it feels better for you. Start with 110 psi. The 350 lb/" spring is correct for you weight.

Make sure to adjust the sag when you adjust the air pressure. You can also increas the beginning stoke compression damping to take a little bit of the "soft" feeling out of it. That said, the SC settings are a very good baseline if you want to go fast. The parking lot test is a bad way to see how well a bike will perform on a race course.
Im kinda new on finding the right adjustments on rear shocks. Is it the volume controll which adjust how much sag there is?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
BSX4ever22 said:
Im kinda new on finding the right adjustments on rear shocks. Is it the volume controll which adjust how much sag there is?
Nope, the volume adjustment adjusts how quickly your suspension will ramp up (aka bottoming resistance). There's a good explanation about how to set up your shock HERE.

BSX4ever22

Chimp
Jun 4, 2004
clayton, CA
ya I actually just finished reading most of the set up tips on tf tuned's web site. I now under stand how to adjust the sag from reading it earlier, i just need my friend to measure the shock when im on the bike

Ryan