Quantcast

Spring Rate Questions

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hey, so I need a few suggestions as far as spring rate goes.

First of all, I weigh 140-145 naked and I'm running a 450# spring on a DHX on a 2005 Demo 8. I want to match my X-soft Boxxer spring on an 06 Team. I'm debating a 350 and a 400. TF Tuned says 342 for 33% sag and 363 for a firmer feel. I'm worried that if I go to a 350 it'll be too big of a change and wallowy feeling in the back compared to the front.

Second, my friend is on a Demo 9 with a Swinger and a 350# spring and there's way way too much sag. He weighs 170 naked. I think a 450 would probably be appropriate. Again, TF Tuned recommends around a 350 for firm FR, but that thing is WAY too much sag as is.

Third, another friend is on a 2005 Enduro Expert running a DHX coil to be just like an SX Trail. He's running a 450 spring currently and is also thinking about downsizing to a 400. He weighs 130.

Any suggestions for these 3 bikes? Thanks a lot in advance.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Don't know if this helps, however I am 210, and have all 3 of those bikes, and have played with different setups. Here is what I found perfect for me, for Whistler DH riding.

1. Demo9 - Swinger - 550lb
2. Demo8 - Swinger - 600lb, DHX - 600lb. Roco - 550lb
3. SX Trail2 - DHX = 450lb

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
HERE is a good spring rate calculator.

what you can do is back check, measure how much sag you are getting with the recommended spring rate. if its in the 30% range then its spot on and you just need to get used to that wallowy feeling. do keep in mind that the true spring rate of a spring may vary quite a bit. old springs tend to be soft too.

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
HERE is a good spring rate calculator.

what you can do is back check, measure how much sag you are getting with the recommended spring rate. if its in the 30% range then its spot on and you just need to get used to that wallowy feeling. do keep in mind that the true spring rate of a spring may vary quite a bit. old springs tend to be soft too.
Cool calculator! What does "RELEVANT SHARE OF BIKE WEIGHT" stand for?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
oh.. sorry cant help you there. my best guess is the percentage of the bike that is sprung weight.