Quantcast

Square Taper Cranks torque

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
Does anyone know the torque specs for Raceface square taper cranks? I am mating them to an American Classic titanium bottom bracket and want to avoid the obligitory CREAKING!

Thanks!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA

Q: What is the torque setting for my crank bolts?

A: For Isis, the initial installation may require up to 60 foot-pounds (ft-lbs.). Subsequent tightening should be at 35 ft-lbs. For square taper systems, the initial and subsequent tightening should be done at 35 ft-lbs. Remember to grease your spindle in both instances.

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
BikeGeek said:

Q: What is the torque setting for my crank bolts?

A: For Isis, the initial installation may require up to 60 foot-pounds (ft-lbs.). Subsequent tightening should be at 35 ft-lbs. For square taper systems, the initial and subsequent tightening should be done at 35 ft-lbs. Remember to grease your spindle in both instances.
Thanks! I went to the owners manuals on the RF website and couldn't find it. Thanks for digging for me!
JT

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Various bike part torque specs

I've greased/not greased my square tapers and I can't tell any difference. I usually just put a film of grease on them.

From Park Tools:

Aluminum cranks typically do not require lubrication of this press fit. Aluminum by its nature is self-lubricating as it is covered with a thin layer of oxidation. Adequate torque is typically enough to keep arms from creaking.

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
BikeGeek said:
According to RaceFace: YES! :)

I've always put a light coat on mine. (And I do mean LIGHT) Never had a problem.
I have a titanium BB and I find that a THIN coating of Antisieze works great and minimizes creaking.

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
Wumpus said:
Various bike part torque specs

I've greased/not greased my square tapers and I can't tell any difference. I usually just put a film of grease on them.

From Park Tools:

Aluminum cranks typically do not require lubrication of this press fit. Aluminum by its nature is self-lubricating as it is covered with a thin layer of oxidation. Adequate torque is typically enough to keep arms from creaking.
See above for titanium bottom brackets though...

Hey great resource! I have added it to my favorites!