Quantcast

Squaw Valley MTB park?

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Just saw this on twitter:

declinemagazine Just got off the phone with Jim "Hacksaw" Severt. He is helping Squaw Valley open a bike park. The mtn will be open this summer!

-KT

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Isn't that where they had a World Cup back in the Nico vs Palmer days?

Some NorCal hooligans built a gnarly Pro course that was causing serious puckering. All sorts of rocky and steep and techincal. I think crazy Danny Minx had one of the fastest, if not the fastest, time while racing Semi Pro.

Nico won Pro of course.

Would be great having another real option to Northstar.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Some NorCal hooligans built a gnarly Pro course that was causing serious puckering. All sorts of rocky and steep and techincal. I think crazy Danny Minx had one of the fastest, if not the fastest, time while racing Semi Pro.

Nico won Pro of course.

Minx hahah thats a blast from the past and yes one of the WC's was held there.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Let's hope it's better than Kirkwood's bike park.

Wait, you all know that Kirkwood has a bike park right?? :rofl:

Yes, the Squaw WC course was on par with today's standards. Really good. Let's see what Squaw can do with Tahoe's less than stellar dirt.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
with Tahoe's less than stellar dirt.
Man what is it with people complaining about dirt at tahoe and mammoth. Bunch of whiners. Can't ride if it's not hero dirt or something? Stay away from socal for sure then.

P.S.
YAY for squaw. That could be sick.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Man what is it with people complaining about dirt at tahoe and mammoth. Bunch of whiners. Can't ride if it's not hero dirt or something? Stay away from socal for sure then.

P.S.
YAY for squaw. That could be sick.
Nah. It's just easier to build with good dirt rather than pumice. Have you seen how quick the berms are destroyed in that stuff? It's not about riding but building good stuff.

Have you ever wondered why Whister is so good?

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
Let's hope it's better than Kirkwood's bike park.

Wait, you all know that Kirkwood has a bike park right?? :rofl:
I won a free ticket to Kirkwood at Sea Otter. Figured I'd check it out since I'm down in Tahoe a bit in the summer. What can I expect? To be honest I didn't even know they had lift accessed terrain.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Glad to hear Saw is on on the deal. I've ridden some of the trails he and his minions have created over the years, and there's a couple of them that lay me right on my ass.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Nah. It's just easier to build with good dirt rather than pumice. Have you seen how quick the berms are destroyed in that stuff? It's not about riding but building good stuff.

Have you ever wondered why Whister is so good?
Agreed. I love sculpted trails... Duffy gnar is O.K. in small doses.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I'm pretty sure you can thank Kyle Crezee for this new plan at Squaw. He used to be the mountain bike park director at Northstar, but took a job at Squaw last fall. I'd bet money that he's convinced the suits at Squaw that they should try to give Northstar a run for their money during summer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm pretty sure you can thank Kyle Crezee for this new plan at Squaw. He used to be the mountain bike park director at Northstar, but took a job at Squaw last fall. I'd bet money that he's convinced the suits at Squaw that they should try to give Northstar a run for their money during summer.
Why do you think they hired him?

It's not like he walked in there, hired into some completely unrelated job and said 'hey guys, I've got this great idea!'

Nancy and co have been planning this for a while.

Last edited:

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
I just hope Squaw can build the trails right.....Remember Kyle's Corner's on Livewire? Good thing Hacksaw is involved. Hopefully Squaw will try to hire some of the locals that actually know what they are doing building in the dirt up there.
Stoked for Squaw though. I am looking forward to checking it out.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm betting kidwoo knows more about this.

Also, any tahoe locals have the lowdown on season pass tickets? I've been assuming I would buy northstar pass and hit up squaw once or twice, is squaw going all out their first year? Or are they palnning on cutting a few trails and then making improvements over the years to get up to N* level?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm betting kidwoo knows more about this.

Also, any tahoe locals have the lowdown on season pass tickets? I've been assuming I would buy northstar pass and hit up squaw once or twice, is squaw going all out their first year? Or are they palnning on cutting a few trails and then making improvements over the years to get up to N* level?
From the rumors I've heard floating around (take with grain of salt), this year will have a few runs up and running and next year will be full blown bike park.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Personally I think this is awesome. If they could get the interest/capital to run irrigation, just the sheer vert of Squaw will put N* to shame.

My real hope here is that N* will realize that they're not the only kid on the Tahoe block and step it up to stay in the market. And a joint N*/SV race series would be the business.

Last edited:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
My real hope here is that N* will realize that they're not the only kid on the Tahoe block and step it up to stay in the market.
I find this statement funny, because I think Northstar completely kicks ass as it is, and I wouldn't really ask them to change anything about their park. Definitely one of my all-time favorite places to ride.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'd like to see some new lines at N*. The one thing I give Whistler is that they are always trying to open new stuff.

I'd also like to see more irrigation on N*. I know its expensive, but it would make riding there a lot more betterer.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Only thing I'd like to see at N* is a crank it up style trail that I can take some of my buddies cruising on who don't ride so much.

My bachelor party was at northstar last year and boy was it a cluster f**k. Half the dudes that went don't really ride. I didn't really think about how sketchy something like Gypsy could be if the extent of your riding is 9 or 10 XC rides all year. Luckily we had plenty of beer at the bottom to keep them occupied.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Nico won Pro of course.

Has anyone talked to Danny lately? How's he doing?

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
Haha I think its funny that Kyle Crezee ran the bike park last year and it sucked a big one, now everyone thinks he can run Squaw's park.

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
Stoked on Squaw Valley getting bikes back on the mountain. As a long time part time SV resident and rider I think this is really good news. Kyle knows whats up and Hacksaw can build. Looking forward to hitting North Star and Squaw Valley for riding and racing for years to come.

May 14, 2010
squaw had a mountain bike trail system, not necessarily a "park". If they get it together this time it will surpass N. Star I am sure, if it isn't just for the pure fact it "squaw". The terrain that will be accessible will be off the hook, just like the winter terrain that is accessible. I'll make some calls and see if this is for real. i live in TC.