Quantcast

sram cassette + shimano derailleur compatibility?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I have a relatively new sram road cassette, and I am wondering if I can run a shimano road derailleur with it (I plan to use sram attack triggers). Will the spacing on the cassette work with the derailleur? I figured with a sram shifter I'd be alright, but want to make sure before I buy anything.:cool:

Zookster

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
Should work fine. The spacing on the cassette is the same. It only changes for 8 or 9 speed. No worries....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
cjcrashesalot said:
I have a relatively new sram road cassette, and I am wondering if I can run a shimano road derailleur with it (I plan to use sram attack triggers). Will the spacing on the cassette work with the derailleur? I figured with a sram shifter I'd be alright, but want to make sure before I buy anything.:cool:
:stupid:

Yep, it all works fine. The only thing you have to keep as the same brand is your derailleur/shifter combo.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
binary visions said:
The only thing you have to keep as the same brand is your derailleur/shifter combo.
Don't shimano shifters work with some sram derailuers and don't some sram shifters work with shimano derailuers?*

*at least for the time being until shimano changes everything again.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Wumpus said:
Don't shimano shifters work with some sram derailuers and don't some sram shifters work with shimano derailuers?*

*at least for the time being until shimano changes everything again.
Yes. I ran a Sram Rocket trigger shifter and a Shimano Ultegra RD last year with no issues.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wumpus said:
Yeah, the SRAM Rocket stuff has the same leverage ratio as the Shimano derailleurs. So, those are interchangable. Just have to make sure that the ratios match front and rear - 1:1 or 2:1.