Quantcast

SRAM/Shimano compatibility

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Hmmmm.....I was under the impression that SRAM shifters were compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs. But looking through SRAM's site, it looks like only particular ones are?
I'm not sure if I'm reading it incorrectly, but it appears that anything that has "ESP" in it's title is SRAM compatible only, and anything that doesn't have "ESP" is Shimano compatible only.
Any techies know?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
yep, ESP derailleurs only work with ESP shifters - 9.0, 9.0SL, 7.0, etc. The one exception is front derailleurs - Shimano and SRAM ESP are all compatible in the front only.

SRAM's Attack and Rocket shifters are Shimano-derailleur-compatible. THey used to make a derailleur that was shimano shifter-compatible, called the Di.R.T., I dunno if they still make it.

Anything with a number in the designation (Ex. 9.0Sl, 9.0, 7.0) is compatible ONLY with ESP SRAM derailleurs. Anything with a name (Ex. Rocket, Attack) is compatibl with Shimano rear derailleirs. Like someone mentioned preivous, it has to do with the 1:1 ratio for SRAM versus the 2:1 ratio for Shimano.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by KrusteeButt
Ok...but Attack and Rocket shifters can also be used with the SRAM rear derailleur though, or no? It's the whole 1:1 or 2:1 ratio thing that's got me a little confused.
Right,

...no wrong...

Uh...

Use the ESP stuff, with the SRAM chain, cassette, shifters and deraileurs, and you will be STOKED. It's crispy good stuff.
I really like the 1:1 feel, there is a more substantial "notch" in between each gear, and the springs on a SRAM deraileur really slap the chain into submission.

Or just go single speed and forget it all!

Jan 14, 2002
Zwolle, the Netherlands
Well, to make an exception to the rule, because of money issues..... I now have an SRAM 9.0 shorty shifter (1:1) connected with an LX rear derr. (2:1)

And it works, but! I do not have all the 9 gears in the rear, but 6.

and why 6? I don't know but the last 3 gears he does.

so I have now counting: 9-x-7-x-5-x-3-2-1
Normally also nr. 2 should not be used, but in real life it is used.
aside from that, it works due to sircomstanses(sp) really well, shifts good without false shifting.
but it does need a little more attention to keep it working like this.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Well, just FYI...
I just talked to the Tech. w/ SRAM, and he made it clear, anything with the number designation is SRAM compatible only and anything with just a name (e.g. "Rocket", "Attack") are Shimano compatible ONLY. They don't have any shifters that are cross compatible, that will do either Shimano or SRAM.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ok yeah, the esp shifters wll allow you to hit some gears while using a shimano rear d. the reason why it won't allow you to hit all of them is explained in the ratio. 1:1 just simply means for every inch of cable pulled from the shifter, the rear d. moves one inch. and the 2:1 means for every 2 inches of cable pulled, one inch of movement is made at the rear d..

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Gemini shifters are Shimano compatible, and I could be wrong but I think it is 1:2, not 2:1 with SRAM components?

Sean

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by punkassean
Gemini shifters are Shimano compatible, and I could be wrong but I think it is 1:2, not 2:1 with SRAM components?

Sean
oops yeah, but you get the idea. and yes the gemini shifters are shimano compatible.

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
o.k SRAM cable pull= 1:1 ratio
SHIMANO cable pull= 2:1 ratio
esp shifters do not work with shimano. i do not believe in getting every other gear as a working system.