Quantcast

Sram X0 or the Shimano Saint

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
Witch would you say is better Sram X0 or the Shimano Saint over all. As far as taking a lot of **** and still coming back for more. Or is it just a preference thing. I have always ran Shimano on all my bikes but have not got a new MB bike in over 7 years.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Saint as far as derailleurs go. The axle mounted system doesn't rely on a flimsy replaceable der. hanger. It's bolted to your f-ing axle. I ran one for two seasons of DH without so much as a missed shift. It took a direct hit from a big rock at Plattekill before it did anything wrong. I bent the dropout back and it shifted perfectly again. Unbelievably durable. Also, run 8 speed if you can find the parts. Much less finicky than 9.

SeatPost

Chimp
May 17, 2009
Philly, sort of
I am a die hard SRAM fan but, even I would pick the Saints over the XO. Honestly though the XO's aren't worth the price break, to weight reduction over the X9's, in my opinion.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Saint as far as derailleurs go. The axle mounted system doesn't rely on a flimsy replaceable der. hanger. It's bolted to your f-ing axle. I ran one for two seasons of DH without so much as a missed shift. It took a direct hit from a big rock at Plattekill before it did anything wrong. I bent the dropout back and it shifted perfectly again. Unbelievably durable. Also, run 8 speed if you can find the parts. Much less finicky than 9.
Shimano went back to a hanger mount with the latest M810...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I like the Saint stuff. I've run X9 in the past. The Sram stuff crisply shifts, the Shimano stuff has a lighter action but not bad. The durability is great with Saint and the reason I made the switch. X9's are pretty tough, but they still stick out pretty far and the parallelogram is vulnerable. The Saint der has a skid plate on the linkage and is tucked out of the way.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Sram X9. Crisp, reliable shifting. In my experience more durable than Shimano which was a surprise considering all the plastic parts. XO is way too pricy for a part I consider expendable.

edergs

Chimp
May 30, 2009
I've two bikes. UMF with saint and Cannondale Moto with Sram X9.

Sram is more precise and doesn't need to adjust so many times like Saint or any other Shimano.

Jay13

Chimp
Jul 6, 2008
Orlando
I've run Sram XO drivetrains as well as old and new Saint. For precise shifting Sram wins hands down... durability not so much. I switched to Saint after breaking two XO rear deraileurs and the Saints are much more durable. The shifting isn't quite as good but if you have them dialed in they work well enough and they are twice as tough. The new Saint isn't axel mounted but I haven't had an issue with that yet.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my new saint makes a bit of noise but it shifts great. It's a tank of a derailleur, it feels super solid. Seems to have a lot of spring in it. I can't comment to the newer SRAM derailleurs, but it blows the older ESP stuff out of the water, by far.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
i like Sram stuff better. I run 8 speed cassette and chain with x9 rear der and x7 8speed trigger shifter. even my road bikes i only run Sram red. Sram shifts better and holds up nicer especially the short cage x9's i use. xo rear der is not worth the money on a dh or fr bike.