Quantcast

SRAM X01 vs. ??

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Maybe. The LBG and I fly out on a red-eye that night for a wedding on the East Coast. So, unlikely—but you never know. Better chance now that I have a couple days notice. You thinking your typical 3:30 timeframe, something south-ish like Derp Crick?
That or MW.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The cassette is straight. I'll take a look to see if there is any play in the cassette. The clutch derailuer makes sense, but do they work for 9 speed?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The cassette is straight. I'll take a look to see if there is any play in the cassette. The clutch derailuer makes sense, but do they work for 9 speed?
I've been running a shimano 786+ shadow clutch 10-sp rear with an x9 shifter, 9-sp chain, rings and cassette with excellent results. Big Ted here on the :monkey: figured out that the total cable throw of a SRAM 9-sp shifter is the same as the 10-sp Shimano, so you can use the X9 with Shimano 10-sp rear.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've been running a shimano 786+ shadow clutch 10-sp rear with an x9 shifter, 9-sp chain, rings and cassette with excellent results. Big Ted here on the :monkey: figured out that the total cable throw of a SRAM 9-sp shifter is the same as the 10-sp Shimano, so you can use the X9 with Shimano 10-sp rear.
don't you need his magic spacer?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Need? No.
I don't use any spacer. The only thing I noticed the first few rides was a slightly heavier feel at the shifter, but that disappeared after a couple rides. If Ted's magic spacer eliminates the perceived 'drag', all the better.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Need? No.
I don't use any spacer. The only thing I noticed the first few rides was a slightly heavier feel at the shifter, but that disappeared after a couple rides. If Ted's magic spacer eliminates the perceived 'drag', all the better.
I'd wager the heavy feel at the shifter (i.e. "drag") you experienced is the clutch doing it's thing. Had the same feel with a completely dedicated Shimano 2x10 setup. Most likely it doesn't go away, you just get used to it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yup. PM big-Ted. He's got this shiz figured out. Premium performance without the the 10sp defilement.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Alright... I just ordered a 36 tooth 9-sp, ramped ring. That will allow me to just pull the granny and install the chain guide easily. Given that is the time consuming part, it makes things much easier and cheaper.

Now I just need to get my efficiencies in place to make sure that I can streamline the process.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Alright... I just ordered a 36 tooth 9-sp, ramped ring. That will allow me to just pull the granny and install the chain guide easily. Given that is the time consuming part, it makes things much easier and cheaper.

Now I just need to get my efficiencies in place to make sure that I can streamline the process.

F that noise. Just buy moar bikes. The only crank I'm yanking before every ride is my own.

Last edited: