Quantcast

SRAMano

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Tuesday 21st March 2006
SRAM's road group to launch April 7th?

A double-page spread ad in a US bike mag carries no brand marks but urges readers to visit willyoumaketheleap.com and promises to reveal all on April 7th. However, a quick reverse IP look-up at Whois reveals that the domain is likely owned by SRAM. The ad campaign is therefore likely to be for SRAM's new road groupset.
You'll need Flash 8 to access the site.

A quick look at http://www.whois.sc/willyoumaketheleap.com reveals that the site was registered in January by a third-party registrant to mask who's doing the teasing but when BikeBiz.com did a reverse IP check, the sites listed were Avidbike.com, Blackboxracing.com and other SRAM sites.

SRAM did not buy all the domains connected with the name so .org, .info, .biz and .us are still up for grabs. Hopefully, SRAM will plug this gap soon...

http://www.willyoumaketheleap.com

J

JRB

Wow - all Sram has is to bash how bad the other guys are??? Screw them. If they can't sell on their own merits, I hope this all fails. I wonder if they are going to point out that like 40% of the people that tried Gen X front derailleurs couldn't get them to work. LAME.

J

JRB

N8 said:
After using SRAM X0's shifters ect for several months now, there is NO WAY I'll ever go back to XTR again....
That's odd - after using X9/X0 for several months, there is no way I'll use Sram again.

BTW - that was not really interesting.

J

JRB

PonySoldier said:
I find that runnning X.7 shifters and a X.7 rear derailleur with my XTR front derailleur to be the best shifting/derailleur combo I've run to date...
Note that there is a Shimano part in that mix. :think:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
PonySoldier said:
I find that runnning X.7 shifters and a X.7 rear derailleur with my XTR front derailleur to be the best shifting/derailleur combo I've run to date...

I admit I'm running a XTR on the front as well... but on the rear drivetrain is where the XO's pw3n!

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Not for anything more than a test ride. Love it compared to XT however. And yes, there's a small difference between the two, I know that.

Mostly said to annoy you though.
There is actually a HUGE difference between XT and XTR pods. I will take your comment as you not knowing what the hell you are talking about, as usual, and I will go on. :nuts:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
loco said:
There is actually a HUGE difference between XT and XTR pods. I will take your comment as you not knowing what the hell you are talking about, as usual, and I will go on. :nuts:
Felt like the difference between a beet and a turnip to me. Or it could be that I just don't care for shimano's crapy shifters to begin with. YMMV.

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Felt like the difference between a beet and a turnip to me. Or it could be that I just don't care for shimano's crapy shifters to begin with. YMMV.
Wow - that's your answer. I love the unfounded bitches about people's products that people have NEVER used. Good work.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
loco said:
Wow - that's your answer. I love the unfounded bitches about people's products that people have NEVER used. Good work.
Uh....unfounded? I've used 3 kinds of shimano shifters and hate the feel of all of them. How is that unfounded? I didn't ride them for 3 years so I have no opinion? :rolleyes:

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Uh....unfounded? I've used 3 kinds of shimano shifters and hate the feel of all of them. How is that unfounded? I didn't ride them for 3 years so I have no opinion? :rolleyes:
You said XTR, assface. Read your F'n post. :mumble:

J

JRB

N8 said:
My X0's shift smoother, crisper and have zero 'ghost shifting' issues unlike my XTR's.
That's your mechanic, or a dirty drivetrain. I have no ghost shifting issues with XTR. I did have some with X0, but it was a bent hanger and not the derailleur. They likely fixed the feel with X0 pods, but I hated the X9s. I take issue that they didn't really test the front derailleurs, yet claimed their superiority. I might love X0s, but they priced that stuff stupidly enough to keep me from trying again. I guess if they incorporate the X9 pods like the X0s they may be ok. Meh - actually - until they have low/normal, I am not trying again.

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Fine, shall I go edit it to change it to Shimano?

6 of one, half dozen of another. They all have the same feel: sloppy and crappy.
I found more slop in X9 than I did in XTR. I love how sram even copied the X. Losers.

J

JRB

splat said:
I am very interested to see how they look feel on the road.
I am Partial to Sram off road , mainly because I don't like trigger shifting , I prefer Grip shift.

On the Road I prefer Campy. Shimano Breaks , Campy Breaks in.
That's just silly. I haven't had any Shimano parts fail. Some wore out, but so does Campy. Sure you can rebuild it, but not many shops will. It's a pain in the ass to get most shops to get the right parts, making it a pain in the ass.

All that said - I am intrigued by it, but bashing the comp is dumb. I have not heard of Sram levels, but to say you are better than Dura-Ace or Record before you have released something is ridiculous.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
well wippydoo for SRAM I still prefer my old Suntour road stuff, and if and when I buy a new roadie I am going Campy all the way.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Personally it will take more than a cute frog or an expensive marketing campaign to get me to switch from Campy, but if SRAM's new road group makes the competition pay attention and offer more options (see new XTR), I am all for it. You don't have to buy the stuff to benefit from it.

splat

Nam I am
MunkeeHucker said:
I still prefer my old Suntour road stuff, and if and when I buy a new roadie I am going Campy all the way.
Suntour Stuff Kicked Ass!! :thumb: I still havea Superbe Pro Rear derailer in the basement wife used it for over 20 years and wore the pulleys out a couple of times but other than that it was rock solid, then we upgraded her bike to campy and she is very happy :love: :love: :love:

and loco , On my road bikes , on one I have a Shimano Dura Ace Bottom Bracket , I wore 3 out in 15 years , on my newer road bike with campy ,I'm still on my first 10 years in. I had to redo the wheel bearing a couple of time , I have yet to have to do that to my Campy hubs. Campy has always Been know for there long lasting super Smooth Ball bearings.

J

JRB

splat said:
and loco , On my road bikes , on one I have a Shimano Dura Ace Bottom Bracket , I wore 3 out in 15 years , on my newer road bike with campy ,I'm still on my first 10 years in. I had to redo the wheel bearing a couple of time , I have yet to have to do that to my Campy hubs. Campy has always Been know for there long lasting super Smooth Ball bearings.
It's really luck of the draw. I have had several years on my Ultegra hubs, but I don't mind cleaning and lubing hubs either. I'm not saying Campy is bad, it's just not for everyone. For anyone to state claims for Sram, which is unreleased is insane. I had a Campy bike in HS, and I sure it is still running.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
My SRAM stuff shifts way better, requires less adjustments, and is way more reliable than any XTR or XT I ever had on a MTB. I'm happy with how my Ultegra stuff works on my road bike, but I definitely look forward to seeing what SRAM has to offer.

That is definitely a SRAM frog.

J

JRB

Echo said:
My SRAM stuff shifts way better, requires less adjustments, and is way more reliable than any XTR or XT I ever had on a MTB. I'm happy with how my Ultegra stuff works on my road bike, but I definitely look forward to seeing what SRAM has to offer.

That is definitely a SRAM frog.
I can say, if it shifts well and doesn't rattle like every Shimano STI shifter does, I will be on board. My new Dura-Ace was even rattling last night. :mumble:

Ultegra is the worst offender, IMO.

I liked the shifting OK, except it wasn't rapid rise, but the paddles on the shifters were horrible.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I don't understand all the "hate one love the other" that goes on with SRAM/Shimano. People get in their camps and raise their flags for one company like they are a college sports team or something.
I use whatever works best for me.
I prefer SRAM shifting by far, so I use X0 or X9 on my bikes.
I love Shimano's crank setup so I use XT's there.
I use Shimano's cassette because it is lighter.
And so on.

J

JRB

I use Sram Powerlinks religiously. I don't dislike Sram, I just prefer Shimano.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am curious to see if the rear derailleur works better and how the shifters hold up over time. Overall shifting is another issue using an all-SRAM drivetrain, but I assume that will be at least equal to DA/Record, or why bother.

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
I am curious to see if the rear derailleur works better and how the shifters hold up over time. Overall shifting is another issue using an all-SRAM drivetrain, but I assume that will be at least equal to DA/Record, or why bother.
Are there multi levels??? Any word on cost???

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
I use Sram Powerlinks religiously. I don't dislike Sram, I just prefer Shimano.
Hmm.

That's not very interesting.

This thread is somewhat, but not this post.

:D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jeremy R said:
I don't understand all the "hate one love the other" that goes on with SRAM/Shimano. People get in their camps and raise their flags for one company like they are a college sports team or something.
I use whatever works best for me.
I prefer SRAM shifting by far, so I use X0 or X9 on my bikes.
I love Shimano's crank setup so I use XT's there.
I use Shimano's cassette because it is lighter.
And so on.

This is a black and white world buddy. Trying to live in shades of grey could cause you to slip between to dimensions and disapear forever.

J

JRB

Westy said:
This is a black and white world buddy. Trying to live in shades of grey could cause you to slip between to dimensions and disapear forever.
Like the "p"??? Is that what happened?