Quantcast

SRAMano

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jeremy R said:
I don't understand all the "hate one love the other" that goes on with SRAM/Shimano. People get in their camps and raise their flags for one company like they are a college sports team or something.

i have no idea what you are talking about.

:rofl:

J

JRB

So - reading a little - the front der is proprietary. WTF??? The brakes are kind of interesting, but a little blocky. I didn't see mention, but in reading, it is 10 spd. I think it's odd that they say the Rival is around the Ultegra price point, but no mention of cost of the Force.

That said - I think people are crazy to buy this 1st generation after I read the quibbles bit.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i wonder how many people will take advantage of this:

shifting while in a sprint...sounds scary to me.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
sounds like both front and rear are.
I knew the rear would be, but the front seems stupid. I hope they have some bad ass micro adjust like Dura Ace does. I don't know if Record and Chorus do or not.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
the Inbred said:
i wonder how many people will take advantage of this:

shifting while in a sprint...sounds scary to me.
Huh? You don't need to be sprinting to want to shift in the drops. Long descents can involve a lot of shifting...?

J

JRB

OGRipper said:
Huh? You don't need to be sprinting to want to shift in the drops. Long descents can involve a lot of shifting...?
That said, you should have heard the shifting in the sprints in the short track 2 years ago in Waco. There were tons of melted cassettes when they were done. Pros will trash a drive train in short order.

I shift in the drops now on Dura-Ace.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
OGRipper said:
do you pull with your arms during a long descent, though? i'm imagining a newbie racer/ roadie doing this in a large group, and mis-shifting.

caption from the photo:
During prototype testing, Ben Jacques-Maynes of the Kodakgallery.com/Sierra Nevada team inadvertently discovered a position by which he could upshift during sprints without compromising his grip on the bar or with any substantial drop in power. The shift lever is gripped to the bar while in the drops, and upshifts can be performed just by slightly twisting your hand.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
the Inbred said:
do you pull with your arms during a long descent, though? i'm imagining a newbie racer/ roadie doing this in a large group, and mis-shifting.

caption from the photo:
But then it is easy to understand a n00b making a mistake like that....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
the Inbred said:

caption from the photo:
Oops, didn't see the caption. Anyway yeah, lots of people shift in the drops and when sprinting or setting up for sprints. That method seems a little odd but I haven't tried those levers. With Campy levers, your thumb pretty much rests on the upshift trigger when you're in the drops, no special technique needed.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
loco said:
Wow - that's your answer. I love the unfounded bitches about people's products that people have NEVER used. Good work.
He's been riding for six months. Don't you read his ezine?!

:rofl:

splat

Nam I am
loco said:
I can say, if it shifts well and doesn't rattle like every Shimano STI shifter does, I will be on board. My new Dura-Ace was even rattling last night. :mumble:

Ultegra is the worst offender, IMO.
Campy = No rattle.

loco said:
I knew the rear would be, but the front seems stupid. I hope they have some bad ass micro adjust like Dura Ace does. I don't know if Record and Chorus do or not.
All of Campy's ergo shifters have the micro adjust front

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
splat said:
Campy = No rattle.

:love: :love: :love: Can I be in the Campy cult? I have full record on my road bike and a BMX crank on my fixie. :love: :love: :love:

They are way off the back on cranksets though...square taper WTF?

J

JRB

splat said:
Campy = No rattle.

I almost got some Chorus stuff a year or so ago. If I didn't have to get a cassette and chain when I did my upgrade, I would have. If I buy a bike with a build on it any day, I will likely buy Campy. I like the hoods on them.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OGRipper said:
:love: :love: :love: Can I be in the Campy cult? I have full record on my road bike and a BMX crank on my fixie. :love: :love: :love:
a friend of mine's got that same crank (blue anodized BMX) on his fixie too. he splurged for a Peter Mooney stainless steel frame.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
a friend of mine's got that same crank (blue anodized BMX) on his fixie too. he splurged for a Peter Mooney stainless steel frame.

Ooooh stainless...must be pimp.

Mine is an old trek steel frame that I bought secondhand in '89 or something, first road frame I ever owned (I'm still riding the second).

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i run an x9 setup for my rear and usually that works out, but i really like my shimano xt cranks, and i'd like to try saint stuff. but i dunno. anything that makes my bike run smooth i'm into.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
why they hell does the road rear der have the ****ty shimano cable routing. i hate that stupid loop you have to have back there.
i love my XO X9 stuff. but f-that