Quantcast

SS disc hub suggestions?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Holla!

I just got a nice shiney SC Chameleon built up and I want to take advantage of the horizontal ends of the bike. I already have my standard geared wheelset but I want a SS disc hub for the rear.

It must be disc for two reasons!
1. I'm going to get track cog and drill 'ere out so I can go fixed! (I do live in NYC and if you don't have some sort of fixed something or other then you're lame as Richard Simmins)
2. I use discs.

Thanks!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I use a woodman bill cassette s/s hub. Its cheap at around $90.00. Its taken a ton of abuse seeing that I mainly dirt jump, and its givien me no problems in the year that I've owned it! They have a QR version of it too if your looking to save some weight (mine is bolt on). I think you can oreder direct form them too. check out they're web page.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
Disc on SS can be tricky with certain frames. As long as there is no possibility for movement your good which seems like the case as you can run gears on it.(?) I have never looked at a Chameleon up close. Is there a conversion you make with the drops when you go SS? Normal horizontal dropouts like say on a Surly for example, are a pain to rig up with discs but it sounds like this is not the case on your SC.

In regards to hubs, I love my King SS disc but they are money and they are bit much for a bike that doubles as a commuter. Have you considered converting an old road or touring frame to fixed for riding in the city? The Eno from WI is nice too and comes in a disc version. I have seen some cheaper hubs in SS disc out there as well that are knockoff brands but could be a viable option for you.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
1speed said:
Disc on SS can be tricky with certain frames. As long as there is no possibility for movement your good which seems like the case as you can run gears on it.(?) I have never looked at a Chameleon up close. Is there a conversion you make with the drops when you go SS? Normal horizontal dropouts like say on a Surly for example, are a pain to rig up with discs but it sounds like this is not the case on your SC.

In regards to hubs, I love my King SS disc but they are money and they are bit much for a bike that doubles as a commuter. Have you considered converting an old road or touring frame to fixed for riding in the city? The Eno from WI is nice too and comes in a disc version. I have seen some cheaper hubs in SS disc out there as well that are knockoff brands but could be a viable option for you.
The Chameleon has a simple drop-out/horizontal set up. The frame comes with inserts that have a lawyer tab on the disc side already bolted in. If I want to run SS I pull the tabs out and viola! 20mm+ of adjustment. The key, of course is to not lose the pieces...

Anyhow I don't want to spend more then $100 for the whole wheel. So the 'knock-offs' are perfect for me!

mikeG

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
The problem with the less expensive knocks offs are the cones tend to loosen up frequently. I had a Pauls that worked ok but I would have to adjust the tension on the cone every couple of rides. I recently purchased some Philwoods & they are bullet proof. They make the best hubs I have used to date.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Never had any problems with my Pauls (two sets, one built on X3.1-mtb and another built on Open Pros-road)

A quick swap and the bike goes from a sweet ss mtb rig with 2.3s to a ss commutter with 700x35 cx tires and higher gearing - man I love having an eccentric bb

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
for $100, I only have one word for ya: eBay.

Otherwise, one of the cheapest ss disc hubs that you buy is the nashbar hub, 36h - bolt on - cassette style.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
for only $100 total, e-bay is the way to go.

get yourself a standard (geared) disc hub setup, and it gives you more options to play with chainline, and it's useable on your geared ride, should you need to cannibalize for parts.

this has worked for me very well. all three mtbs with compatible wheel and brake systems, so i can swipe from one, to use on another if needed.

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
I use a standard geared hub with spacers. Lets me adjust the chains line, run additional (larger) cogs as a chain sandwich, and it won't cost me anything to put my geared bits back on if I'm so inclined.

If you really want an SS specific hub, I heard Profile Racing will have a diskbrake MTB SS hub coming out soon. They make the best hub's I've used (CK's SS hub is really nice too)

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Tame Ape said:
Holla!

I just got a nice shiney SC Chameleon built up and I want to take advantage of the horizontal ends of the bike. I already have my standard geared wheelset but I want a SS disc hub for the rear.

It must be disc for two reasons!
1. I'm going to get track cog and drill 'ere out so I can go fixed! (I do live in NYC and if you don't have some sort of fixed something or other then you're lame as Richard Simmins)
2. I use discs.

Thanks!
How does $40 sound?
Iro Cycles......
http://www.irocycle.com/fixedgearandsinglespeedbikeframesfromirocycleinc/id115.html

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
i used to have a specialized one off the p1's a few year back.
has a 9 [or] 10 mm bolth through but for a normal size frame.
was really strong, definitely worth a gander...

but looking at that IRO that seems like a bargain!!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I use the Surly SS disc hub, I've run it on both my horizontal dropout SS, and on a vertical dropout frame with a tensioner. Works great, nothing fancy, nice and cheap.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Yea,
The Woodman hubs are the same as the Specialized mentioned above...i've had both. It's reliable and low maintenence!