Quantcast

SS parts questions

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
I located a pair of brand new Shimano 600 cranks that just needs a chainring to be usable to my SS project.. Anyone have a tip on what'll fit on there? I think Shimano discontinued those parts back when Clinton was in JR High.. :help:

Next question is about rear hubs.. What is the most practical way.. A BMX or freehub type setup or start messing around with cassettes and spacers?

Don't want it to be too a tenderfoot.. I want it abuser friendly :D

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
First thing is to know the BCD, bolt circle diameter. I'm guessing they're a five bolt crank. Put the crank upside down on a piece of paper and make dots through all the chainring holes. Use a compass to connect all the dots in a circle. The diameter of this circle is the BCD. The common BCDs now for 5 bolt are: 56, 58, 94, 74, 110, 130, 135, and 144mm. If this process is a bitch, measure the center of one hole to the center of the one right next to it. Give me that number and I can tell you the BCD.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Or you could go to the bike shop ant try chainrings until you find one that fits. I'd start there.

pistun

Chimp
Dec 7, 2004
San Francisco
If you want to convert a 8/9 speed cassette hub to single speed, try the Gussett 1'er. Available at Jenson, or unrealbicycles.com. For 20 bucks you get two spacers and two cogs. Seems to work nicely.

jace

Chimp
Sep 5, 2004
md/va
pistun said:
If you want to convert a 8/9 speed cassette hub to single speed, try the Gussett 1'er. Available at Jenson, or unrealbicycles.com. For 20 bucks you get two spacers and two cogs. Seems to work nicely.
The Gusset is a waste of money in my opinion - regular old cassette spacers are cheaper and allow further chainline adjustment. As for whether to go cassette or freewheel, depends on what you own now and what you're willing to spend on a new rear wheel.

Cassette hub with spacers will allow for easier chainline adjustment than a freewheel, unless of your course your running a SS specific freewheel hub. I would also suggest using a Shimano BMX cassette cog, not a recycled cog from a 7, 8, or 9 speed cassette.

I believe the old Shimano 600 crank BCD was 130mm, but please verify this before spending any money!!!!

Good luck with your build, and post pics!!!

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
I found this schweet oldschool Peugeot raceframe in gloss black that im gonna use..

I have a cpl tho.. some Mercier and some Peugeot frames.. :) THis could get interesting :D

ALso found some oldschool racer bits im gonna use.. Im thinking either white rigida racer rims or atracite mavic ones..

Basicly build up a oldschool bike.. I'd rather put something together and use it than to have it rot in a shelf being sold per kilo for the alloy :(