Quantcast

SS question

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
I am gathering some parts to convert my old road bike to a fixed gear and I have a question.

I ordered a flip flop track 110 m hub. I bought a 130mm axel to replace the current one. Since I have gears on both side my wheel should not be dish right? the hub should be in the middle of the axel?

How will be my chaine line if I cannot space the hub, Will I need to play with chain rings spacer. Should I buy a special unramped chainring?

Oh and I am going for 46/16 fixed and 46/18 it's going to be a monster

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
another question

How can i find a cheap crank with a 46 t?

should I look into used XTs and then buy a 46T ring?

What is the BCD of a old XT? 104 or 110m

Thanks

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Deyv
another question

How can i find a cheap crank with a 46 t?

Thanks
Dimension makes a set of cheap 110mm double cranks for like $50.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Definitely get rings with no shifting ramps. You're more likely to throw your chain if your chainline isn't perfect and the rings are ramped.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Before you build the wheel, install the crank and space the hub to get a good chainline, then build the wheel. It may have no dish but you will probably have a little.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
Before you build the wheel, install the crank and space the hub to get a good chainline, then build the wheel. It may have no dish but you will probably have a little.
yeah but if it's a flip flop hub then I cannot have the hub not in the middle right? so the wheel should have zero dish if I want to flip it around?

Thanks

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Flip the hub over in the dropouts and space it so you get the best chainline for both sprockets. It doesn't matter if the wheel has dish, the rim just nees to be centered between the hub locknuts so it will flip and keep the rim in the centre.

Depending on what you screw onto the hub will affect the chainline. In order to get the optimum chainline on both sprockets the hub may not be centred.

I would definatly not bother getting ramps on the rings they are cheaper without ramps and can be used on a geared bike.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by D_D
Flip the hub over in the dropouts and space it so you get the best chainline for both sprockets. It doesn't matter if the wheel has dish, the rim just nees to be centered between the hub locknuts so it will flip and keep the rim in the centre.

Depending on what you screw onto the hub will affect the chainline. In order to get the optimum chainline on both sprockets the hub may not be centred.

I would definatly not bother getting ramps on the rings they are cheaper without ramps and can be used on a geared bike.
Ok gotcha ya!

should I buy a shorter spindle BB to help with the chain line?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Ok gotcha ya!

should I buy a shorter spindle BB to help with the chain line?
Yes, that's exactly what you should do. If you build the rear wheel centered, you should get a good chainline using a 108mm BB spindle and the outside position on the chainring tabs. With a 112mm spindle the inside/middle position on the chainring tabs is probably best... but you'll be able to tell once you mount everything up.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by ohio
Yes, that's exactly what you should do. If you build the rear wheel centered, you should get a good chainline using a 108mm BB spindle and the outside position on the chainring tabs. With a 112mm spindle the inside/middle position on the chainring tabs is probably best... but you'll be able to tell once you mount everything up.
If you have a Shimano UN 72 bb (xt level square taper) you can put spacers between the fixed cup and bb body. MRP makes them, and you can also modify 1inch threadless headset spacers. Any LBS that does a lot of DH stuff should have extra spacers. They don't get used very often.

Renntag

Monkey
May 20, 2003
not sure, its dark

If this is for a road bike....didnt it have cranks? Use the old ones.

Why would you use a mnt crank? hell use anything you can get yer hands on as long as its cheap and it works.

I have a compact XT crankset and its 94mm BCD. Just check first to make sure. Lign up a 110 or a 94 BCD ring to what you've got and it either lines up or it doesnt. simple.

Good luck.