Quantcast

SST monthly meetings?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I think it's funny that the city is going to turn the place into a golf place when just a few years ago they posted signs saying the area was a 'wet land' and any digging would ruin the habitat.

actually, I don't find it funny at all. this is exactly why illegal trails will always be coming and going. I can not tell you how many times I've seen stuff like this (trails get plowed because the digging is 'hurting' the local habitat), then the next thing you know, there is a nice new big apartment building where the jumps once were.

anyways, I have nothing to contribute except, enjoy what you have while you have it.

p.s. golf sucks!

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
frank -

learn to spell..then poke fun at others riding a short bus...besides...didnt they have a special "frank seat" at the front of the bus? I read about a custom seatbelt system installed for you in some magazine. They couldnt prevent you from making horribly illegible comments in forums, so they restrained your hands and sat you down in your seat :)

4 foot jumps....how steep? what kinda grade are the jumps on? what kind of speed do you have when hitting these jumps?

pnj - cypress is a perfect example of this. they said no building on the mountain as it hinders wildlife...now there is a 5 year plan to track-house everything up to 1200feet.

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
I think you could be setting yourselves up for disapointment.....Not that getting organized and setting rules and build specifics dialed does'nt have good intentions. IT DOES, but that place is so open to the public your never going to be able to totally police what goes down, when it goes down, etc. What I am saying is I could see you goes going to alot of work to try and dial that place and being really bummed when the same stuff continues to happen despite your best efforts. Sorry to be such a pessimist. I just hope that the communtiy of riders that frequent SST can keep what you have going, cause it definantly is a sweet little spot.

Also I fully agree with not getting a city official involved. Best to just stay off the Radar!!!

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
two1 -

yeah man, i know the crap wont stop completely....not possible. but hopefully with a meeting of the minds, it will slow down. it would just be nice to have everyone who wants to have a say as to what happens out there have that chance.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I don't get why people don't want your contact from the city there from the get go. If he's that cool, he'll know you guys are not solidified yet, he can also play "moderator" and gel the group into what the land owners will tolerate.
I say, get him involved right from the get go. It creates more legitimacy from the beginning.
Not doing so, will have adverse effects.

For example: You guys have 3-4 meetings and dial everything in. Plan stuff and spend lots of effort on it. Just to present it and have it shot down.

Better to keep them in the loop. Just like you are now.

My last $.02. I don't ride there. Too far away. but, I'd like to see you keep it.

Borneo said:
I don't get why people don't want your contact from the city there from the get go. If he's that cool, he'll know you guys are not solidified yet, he can also play "moderator" and gel the group into what the land owners will tolerate.
I say, get him involved right from the get go. It creates more legitimacy from the beginning.
Not doing so, will have adverse effects.

For example: You guys have 3-4 meetings and dial everything in. Plan stuff and spend lots of effort on it. Just to present it and have it shot down.

Better to keep them in the loop. Just like you are now.

My last $.02. I don't ride there. Too far away. but, I'd like to see you keep it.
here is why, if the first meeting turns bad and is very negative and has negative results...that will reflect upon the "commitee of builders" This could shut down the whole park and make freeriders look even worse. It is a better idea to get everything running smooth, work out the kinks and then bring them in. Once ideas are solidified and planned out, it will look alot more organized to approach the council. We need to be organized and on-top of all that goes on there....not confused and angry with to o many cooks in the kitchen. City council people might be "cool" but he has a job to do, and we are nothing to him...the people that pay and dontate their money are higher concern when insurance rates go up or a kid gets hurt and parents scream at the city council.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Bottom line - it's a "public" meeting, so even the city council people have every right to be there. Like Borneo mentioned, it would creative a more cohesive situation (aka - legitimacy) by default. IMO, having them there will force some people that would not normally be civilized in this scenario to think twice about their words and actions.
It would also make it easier for all to know what exactly the guidelines being set are, etc.
I have a feeling that the first meeting will go just fine as long as we have a format for it and stick to it as well.
The hard part will be finishing our sentences before the next jumbo-jet passes overhead.:mumble:

pnj said:
I think it's funny that the city is going to turn the place into a golf place when just a few years ago they posted signs saying the area was a 'wet land' and any digging would ruin the habitat.

actually, I don't find it funny at all. this is exactly why illegal trails will always be coming and going. I can not tell you how many times I've seen stuff like this (trails get plowed because the digging is 'hurting' the local habitat), then the next thing you know, there is a nice new big apartment building where the jumps once were.

anyways, I have nothing to contribute except, enjoy what you have while you have it.

p.s. golf sucks!
Such a Negative Nancy...sheesh.;)

Actually, a couple/few months ago several of us noticed that tree-frogs are beginning to thrive around the trails. They weren't there before. Frogs are a good sign about the surrounding environment.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
BIGHIT756 said:
meetings eh...
eh

The 1st meeting may not be much of a meeting since odds are that there may be a decent percentage of folks out of town for the holiday or committed to the slopes.:eviltongu
If there isn't a huge turnout, we can just have an impromptu get-together/work-party/rip-fest.

Niggz - hope everything came out OK...commie.