Quantcast

SST Thoughts

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
So right out of the gate I am going to say up front that "this is only an opinion", and the reason I am saying this is because there are always certain individuals who lay claim or ownership to an area wich they do not personally own. I have heard individuals at SST say "I do all the digging" or "There are only a few guys that can do the designing".) This is not meant to be a slam to any one person or persons because I do appriciate being able to go to an area and ride. Props to the effort of you guys! The reason I am posting this is I and several other people were at SST today and I noticed and heard peoples concern with the build of the area. What I mean by that is there is a pretty large area witch is the "flow park" and I have noticed only two or three of the lines being used. And the lines that are being rode are becoming smaller and smaller (jumps, gaps,ect.) Or the riders are just getting better! (I think it 's the later of the two) I noticed several people over shooting and flat bottoming alot of the jumps. I myself did it on my hardtail and I was not even going fast! People who are intermediate riders want something bigger or something to work up to. I have noticed some of the other lines there that are not being rode could easily be made into larger gaps, bigger take offs and would not interfere with the exsisting lines. It would give these guys something to shoot for! Again, this is only my opinion. There were several riders there just today that were good riders but couldn't figure out why they were overshooting the step down to table. That line in general has become so fast almost everyone was over shooting it! I'm sure there are several people that would love to come out and help build and give some input if there was a trail day at SST. As long as we can work together and abide by the rules set with the city of Sea Tac, I know that place would rule! Again, this is only my opinion and props to the guys with the shovels!

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
Speaking of which, what are conditons out there right now?Is dirt hard enough to run a DJ tire or do you still need a tire that bite. I really want to get out there romorrow.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
KNine said:
Speaking of which, what are conditons out there right now?Is dirt hard enough to run a DJ tire or do you still need a tire that bite. I really want to get out there romorrow.
This afternoon you could run that set up but it started raining at around 1:30 so knob up.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
ioscope said:
Whatever, stop whining and do it yourself...
Yeah' I figured there would be a few comments like yours. I think you misunderstood my point. I would do it myself, but it's not me who does alot or any of the building at SST and I would not want to do something out there unless the builders who maintain the area would want me to. I was just posting what I have heard over the last couple of times I have been out there.

Fire Rider

Chimp
Sep 15, 2004
Kent "Upper E. side"
The SST Flow Park has progressed so far from it's original state. Obviously as riders get better they want bigger and faster jumps. However, as you mentioned, there are guidlines set by the City that need to be followed so we can keep what we have. Some individuals still must not get this since someone was still complaining today about a jump that they'd built which had to be altered to comply three months ago. We don't have unlimited, unrestricted use out there. Everyone is welcome to build if they are willing to follow the guidelines and build structurally safe stuff. There are a couple of lines which were started months ago which could probably use some extra hands to finish. Maybe they could use some ideas too, from those of you who are antsy to build stuff up. In the past it has worked well to discuss plans before building to see if there is positive or negative feedback.

In the two hours I was there today I saw riders of all abilities. It's a great learning area, lets keep going on that.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
Fire Rider said:
The SST Flow Park has progressed so far from it's original state. Obviously as riders get better they want bigger and faster jumps. However, as you mentioned, there are guidlines set by the City that need to be followed so we can keep what we have. Some individuals still must not get this since someone was still complaining today about a jump that they'd built which had to be altered to comply three months ago. We don't have unlimited, unrestricted use out there. Everyone is welcome to build if they are willing to follow the guidelines and build structurally safe stuff. There are a couple of lines which were started months ago which could probably use some extra hands to finish. Maybe they could use some ideas too, from those of you who are antsy to build stuff up. In the past it has worked well to discuss plans before building to see if there is positive or negative feedback.

In the two hours I was there today I saw riders of all abilities. It's a great learning area, lets keep going on that.
I agree with what you are saying. It is a great place to learn! Over the summer I held a skills clinic out there because it is the perfect place to learn. I do realize there are rules set by the city as far as keeping it safe. But what is the definition of safe as per the city? If there was a better understsanding of this then the park could grow as it's riders abilities grow. I'm not talking about 40 or 60 foot gaps, i'm just talking progression. Have a trail day out there and use the feedback from some local riders to keep it a fun and safe place to ride! :thumb:

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I hear so many people give opinions about that place. SST is constantly morphing whether good or bad, it is in constant change. It is a godsend that it is even available for us. Building bigger, means more injuries, and more exposure. It is of my opinion that that place is more of a stepping stone to bigger and better things elsewhere. It is also a fact, that bigger isn't always better when it comes to areas like SST. I'd rather ride a nice flowing set of smaller jumps than one poorly made huck. There are some good people looking out for us out there and doing a good job with the buildiing. SST has countless contributions from everybody but your grandma. It's in good hands. The important thing is that it stays accessible to all. Go to the trail day and speak up if you like, but realize you're speaking to probably 100 people who love that place for what it is. It's definitely helped my riding. Thanks to all of you guys!

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
Were not looking to get anyone hurt! The problem is jumping to flat. As the conditions get better it takes a lot less speed to get across whats already been made. Some of the lines get no use and those are the one that we are looking to change a little. For most of the riders you will see not much change. When was the last time you did the berm to berm jump? Or the second drop from the right side? What we want to do is make a jump from the second drop from the right to transfer to the step down.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
largextracheese said:
I hear so many people give opinions about that place. SST is constantly morphing whether good or bad, it is in constant change. It is a godsend that it is even available for us. Building bigger, means more injuries, and more exposure. It is of my opinion that that place is more of a stepping stone to bigger and better things elsewhere. It is also a fact, that bigger isn't always better when it comes to areas like SST. I'd rather ride a nice flowing set of smaller jumps than one poorly made huck. There are some good people looking out for us out there and doing a good job with the buildiing. SST has countless contributions from everybody but your grandma. It's in good hands. The important thing is that it stays accessible to all. Go to the trail day and speak up if you like, but realize you're speaking to probably 100 people who love that place for what it is. It's definitely helped my riding. Thanks to all of you guys!
I agree with what you said as well.
I honestly am not looking personally to make the place into a huck park, I was just relaying what I have heard and what I pesonally have seen as a rider who enjoys SST as well. Thats all.

Ynot

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
"a jump from the second drop from the right to transfer to the step down."
I think that would be a cool change to the area. It sounds bigish but I'll bet it could be done in such a way that it could be safely rolled at a lower speed maybe even with a smaller landing feature if you don't feel up to flying all the way to the step down landing. I think that there might also be room for larger features(built safley of course) up top where fewer people enter the lines from. Longer lines with new features. Hmmm.
Tony

Ynot

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
Oh ya.
Last week I way over shot the table(twice). Good to here that I am not the only one.
Tony

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Good post, Kim. I was about to bring up that we need a meeting the 1st Sunday of Feb. Sounds like a good time to discuss that and other ideas/thoughts.
My only true concern is to keep a line or two doable for the entry-level types. There's still alot of them showing up down there.
Those lines I cut past the table need to be built up - I think we could accomplish alot on a solid trailday or two.
As far as the jump-to-flat thing goes, I am sure that is due to the rapid progression of the riders. All the same it can't hurt to make adjustments to takeoffs or landings to reach a happy-medium for all levels.

Don't forget - only 3 months until Whistler is scheduled to open.

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
Anyone who is afraid of change is afraid of progression. Any size jump can be made safe...so long as its made right. A small jump built wrong is far more dangerous than a big jump built right. And....if you dont know what it takes to build a jump right, you have no business jumping it.

Leave lines for different levels of all abilities, while constantly evolving.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
two1 said:
Anyone who is afraid of change is afraid of progression. Any size jump can be made safe...so long as its made right. A small jump built wrong is far more dangerous than a big jump built right. And....if you dont know what it takes to build a jump right, you have no business jumping it.

Leave lines for different levels of all abilities, while constantly evolving.
AMEN, MY BROTHER!

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Good post, Kim. I was about to bring up that we need a meeting the 1st Sunday of Feb. Sounds like a good time to discuss that and other ideas/thoughts.
My only true concern is to keep a line or two doable for the entry-level types. There's still alot of them showing up down there.
Those lines I cut past the table need to be built up - I think we could accomplish alot on a solid trailday or two.
As far as the jump-to-flat thing goes, I am sure that is due to the rapid progression of the riders. All the same it can't hurt to make adjustments to takeoffs or landings to reach a happy-medium for all levels.

Don't forget - only 3 months until Whistler is scheduled to open.
Andy,
I agree in full with there must be beginner lines. There has to be lines for everyone to enjoy. I think we could add a little flavor for the people who want something a bit more challenging. Of course with the idea of safety! We can't have BIBS ripping open another butt cheek again now can we? :D

Fire Rider

Chimp
Sep 15, 2004
Kent "Upper E. side"
I guess we are all on the same page.
-Finish "work 'n progress"
-Perfect the old lines
-Work on more challenging lines
-Keep it safe
-No Split Butt Cheeks :D

I'll be out at SST riding today!

spin

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Good to see most are supportive of keeping a variety of lines available for all. Last year, SST was responsible for me learning to get my wheels off of the ground to begin with. It's the perfect place for the beginner to progressively get better & interact with others much better than them...good for the sport IMO. Enjoy!

holliswood said:
Andy,
I agree in full with there must be beginner lines. There has to be lines for everyone to enjoy. I think we could add a little flavor for the people who want something a bit more challenging. Of course with the idea of safety! We can't have BIBS ripping open another butt cheek again now can we? :D
How did I get drug into this??!! :D but i agree with Kim!...I too have overshot the table from the little line..it could really cause some damage! :thumb: Ill be out there today!

Jan 30, 2005
sest weattle
Ynot said:
"a jump from the second drop from the right to transfer to the step down."
I think that would be a cool change to the area. It sounds bigish but I'll bet it could be done in such a way that it could be safely rolled at a lower speed maybe even with a smaller landing feature if you don't feel up to flying all the way to the step down landing. I think that there might also be room for larger features(built safley of course) up top where fewer people enter the lines from. Longer lines with new features. Hmmm.
Tony

they had aa jump like that but it was really akward and small

Jan 30, 2005
sest weattle
i really think there needs to be some more lines up above. That area never gets used. i think another good place to build would be across the river were softies is. it would be longer and harder to get to which means no more harrasment to get rid of this or that

stormin'norman said:
i really think there needs to be some more lines up above. That area never gets used. i think another good place to build would be across the river were softies is. it would be longer and harder to get to which means no more harrasment to get rid of this or that
norma, your right! plenty of land of there for cool stuff!

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
We need some big ass jumps at SST(besides the trailgap!!) the larger side of the step down used to be big....but now its just another jump to flat land....we need to progress and make things bigger and bigger, and of course make them right so they are safe jumps.....my 2 cents....

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
A poorly built small jump is far more dangerous than a larger jump built well? A A small jump landing in a faceplant is nothing compared (typical scenario)to eating it off a well built huck. I've ate it it pretty good off all sizes. The big ones are definitely more dangerous!
Just my 2 cents...

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
man, all you gotta do is make the jumps bigger and gooder and then stop compaining and then take pictures and then get snoqualmie to pull thier head and then make a beer garden and then talk to my boss and tell him i should ride more and then huck real big but don't make it unsafe but make the riders wear helmets and then talk to the city about progression and and then....

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
What NEEDS to happen is for one of us to hit a huge lottery jackpot, buy a nice piece of land and then invite people to help build the sickest bike-park in the world.
:drool:

Until that happens, I'm planning on having an open-to-all meeting @ SST this coming Sunday.
No major agenda other than to hear what other people have to say and get an idea of how many people would actually work to make some of their ideas possible (i.e. - setting up traildays).

I'm shocked to see that there are STILL new riders showing up consistently, let alone the volume of riders that frequent the flowpark. We have a unique riding area. Not many other places give you the chance to get tons of runs in and still give you a chance to socialize with any of the riders that are out there at the same time. Everybody is approachable ('cept that one guy on the TrailorPark - j/k) and so many people feed off each other's energy.

We may need to make a few adjustments but, overall, I wouldn't change a thing.:cool:

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
SST is a great place for a rider to get the feel of jumping. It's a good place to work on your jump techniques. It's a good place to hang with fellow riders and meet new ones. It's a good place to have open to us for a good dirt session. If people want to go BIGGER, drive out 90 and hit the trails that are made for that stuff. I see SST as either a stepping stone to big stuff elsewhere or a good place to have a afternoon ride with friends.

MY 2 1/2 cents...... :cool:

DBR X6 RIDER said:
What NEEDS to happen is for one of us to hit a huge lottery jackpot, buy a nice piece of land and then invite people to help build the sickest bike-park in the world.

Until that happens, I'm planning on having an open-to-all meeting @ SST this coming Sunday.
No major agenda other than to hear what other people have to say and get an idea of how many people would actually work to make some of their ideas possible (i.e. - setting up traildays).

I'm shocked to see that there are STILL new riders showing up consistently, let alone the volume of riders that frequent the flowpark. We have a unique riding area. Not many other places give you the chance to get tons of runs in and still give you a chance to socialize with any of the riders that are out there at the same time. Everybody is approachable ('cept that one guy on the TrailorPark - j/k) and so many people feed off each other's energy.

We may need to make a few adjustments but, overall, I wouldn't change a thing.:cool:

I HEARD THAT!!! ITS ON!!!! Im gonna pee on your trail and your gonna slip in it!! :D :p :love: my bike said its mad at you now also! :sneaky:

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
It would be sweet to build a wall ride there, that can also act as a Trail Rules board, News and or a bulletin board for upcoming NW events or Work parties at SST, anything.

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
I'll head down everyday while my kids sleep and start on the project! NO..... I just want you guys to build it so when I get in my once a year chance to ride there I can hit it!!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
bibs said:
I HEARD THAT!!! ITS ON!!!! Im gonna pee on your trail and your gonna slip in it!! :D :p :love: my bike said its mad at you now also! :sneaky:
Muuuu-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I just had to make sure you were paying attention. I'm just trying to figure out how I didn't get any pics of either you or Marty yesterday. Oh yeah, that's when I was riding!:D

Gooch - that post you put up is pretty much what our unwritten mission-statement was when we got started on stuff down there.

After spending most of yesterday down there, I was shocked at how well the place was overall.
BUT
The table is going to need to be shut down for a day in the near future so we can add some tranny to the landing in the center. It's eroding fast. The next crappy weekend day we get would be good, IMO.
We also need to get people wanting to go to the top again - you know, the VERY top? For sure the top-right line is getting far-beyond-needed love very soon. I miss riding that section. There's room for an alternate line off the top-right as well.
Then there's those two sections at the very bottom I cut open and did...nothing.
I need to get on Miguel's case and see if he's planning on continuing the table line down below as well.:think:

I wish we had a freakin' Bobcat.

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
I wish you would hurry up! I'm about to take a mission to ride SST (Just kiddin ya, but that would be sweet). Cant wait, I need to ride my DH!!

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
DBR X6 RIDER said:
We also need to get people wanting to go to the top again - you know, the VERY top? For sure the top-right line is getting far-beyond-needed love very soon. I miss riding that section. There's room for an alternate line off the top-right as well.
Then there's those two sections at the very bottom I cut open and did...nothing.

I wish we had a freakin' Bobcat.
I love the friggen top line its fun the booters are good times and the drop in the biggest in the flow park.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
DBR X6 RIDER said:

Rock on Andy! I should see you there, but what time?
Kim