Quantcast

SSWC 06 Ride

Nov 4, 2003
Finished up my ride for the trip to Sweden. Specs and description below:

Click the thumbnails, then the images for the full size image

Frame: 1993 Klein Fervor (my first mountain bike)
Fork: Random 100 % Chromoly Raleigh (leftover from old roommate) custom painted to semi-match
Wheelset: Bontrager Race Lite
Cranks: Adventure Components
Chainring: Surly 32T
Brakes/Levers: Avid SD7
Headset: Ritchey WCS Logic
Stem: Salsa
Bar: Bontrager Big Earl (Won at SSWC05 raffle)
Tires: Kenda Kinetics 2.35"
Seatpost: Sette
Seat: Sette Race
SS conversion: Gusset 1er 18T
Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy SL

The build came together in 3 weeks from concept to completion. I'm not happy with the Gusset, I may take it back tomorrow. It doesn't seem to line up, but there is not problem with chain tension. Speaking of which, I need a tuggnut and bolt on steel skewers. Bike shop tour of tomorrow will determine what happens. Other than that , the bike rides great. The steering is a little sluggish from the odd stem length and angle, but the upright position is how I like to run my bikes. Riding rigid again is definately a change, but so fun. 32x18 seems to be a good gear for me and hopefully will match Sweden's terrain.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Is that the "beater" that was laying in the yard by the garage when we were there? She cleans up nice. :thumb:

I've heard of others not happy with the Gusset chainline options. Take a look at the Fibonacci spacer kit from Endless. It can get your chainline dialed in within a millimeter. It looks like Speedgoat has them in stock.

If you're pressed for time, I can get a Spot spacer kit to you in a day or two. You're welcome to borrow it for the race.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Agentorangemen said:
but there is not problem with chain tension.
Are you sure? It is pretty slack in the photo's. How did you tighten it up?

Either way, I like the build. :cool:

Nov 4, 2003
Yeah this is the beater from the weeds. Yeah, its really slack. I forgot to mention this was after playing around in the yard and having the aluminum skewers slide. I knew someone would call me out on that!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I wouldn't call it a beater, I really like it. Nice classic Klein. The paint appears really well matched on the fork.

Nov 4, 2003
Oh I still have it, I would just rather take something a little less costly in case any type of accidental loss occurs. This whole build only cost me ~$250, and now I have a fun commuter/around town bike. The Ti bike is getting a strip down, clean, and re-assembly with a Phil wood BB, the cranks on this bike, and a White Bros XC-4 fork to lighten up the load and increase the head tube angle. Peter, I'm definately interested in getting a team for the 24 hr race at Seven Springs. Let me know what you think...

morcguy

Chimp
Sep 7, 2006
Finished up my ride for the trip to Sweden. Specs and description below:

Click the thumbnails, then the images for the full size image

Frame: 1993 Klein Fervor (my first mountain bike)
Fork: Random 100 % Chromoly Raleigh (leftover from old roommate) custom painted to semi-match
Wheelset: Bontrager Race Lite
Cranks: Adventure Components
Chainring: Surly 32T
Brakes/Levers: Avid SD7
Headset: Ritchey WCS Logic
Stem: Salsa
Bar: Bontrager Big Earl (Won at SSWC05 raffle)
Tires: Kenda Kinetics 2.35"
Seatpost: Sette
Seat: Sette Race
SS conversion: Gusset 1er 18T
Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy SL

The build came together in 3 weeks from concept to completion. I'm not happy with the Gusset, I may take it back tomorrow. It doesn't seem to line up, but there is not problem with chain tension. Speaking of which, I need a tuggnut and bolt on steel skewers. Bike shop tour of tomorrow will determine what happens. Other than that , the bike rides great. The steering is a little sluggish from the odd stem length and angle, but the upright position is how I like to run my bikes. Riding rigid again is definately a change, but so fun. 32x18 seems to be a good gear for me and hopefully will match Sweden's terrain.

This looks just like mine!! (found yours via Google). I'm using a Surly tuggnut for chain tension, it works great.

Here is mine. http://www.morcmtb.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1518&ppuser=18

Nov 4, 2003
That is sick! Is your mission control the same color as the frame? I'm thinking of going back to the flat bar, the threaded fork with threadless headset is making some awful noises now. Are they avid SD 7 brakes, because if they are, the spring adjustment mounts crack very easily. I managed to break all 4 of mine while in Sweden so I now rub and squeal, and that's not just in bed... I going for the tuggnut on the next order from anywhere, just for the beer opening properties. Have fun riding her, I know mines a stiff ride compared to my noodle Ti frame.

Nov 4, 2003
Race report...Well Buck (SSWC05 winner) has a pretty good write up on www.dirtragmag.com. The trails were so unbelievable, baby heads, roots 8-10" high, slab rock w/ wet moss. I met a lot of people from the internet and racing singlespeed world: The Outkast crew (Chipps, Shaggy, Biff, Dr. Jon, and many others), Surly Nick (Swervy on the blog), Hurl from www.carsrcoffins.com, the singlespeedoutlaw, DeeJay Birtch (from the mountain bike magazine cartoon), Jackie Phelan, Jake Kirkpatrick, and many other fun singlespeeders. It was definitely a lot different atmosphere than in State College. EVERYTHING was bike accessible. I only rode a plane to Sweden, train from the airport to the city center, subway from the city center my hostel, ferry to get the the trails on day, and the bike the entire time in between. Definitely more of a community feel, but I think traveling alone helped me meet people faster. I highly recommend anyone who rides a bike with only one gear to come to Scotland next year because the event planners are awesome and it will be a great time. Steel 29er or Ti 26er next year.

morcguy

Chimp
Sep 7, 2006
That is sick! Is your mission control the same color as the frame? I'm thinking of going back to the flat bar, the threaded fork with threadless headset is making some awful noises now. Are they avid SD 7 brakes, because if they are, the spring adjustment mounts crack very easily. I managed to break all 4 of mine while in Sweden so I now rub and squeal, and that's not just in bed... I going for the tuggnut on the next order from anywhere, just for the beer opening properties. Have fun riding her, I know mines a stiff ride compared to my noodle Ti frame.
Yes, the bar came painted to match. Its a real stiff ride. I've had those brakes for years with no problems.