Quantcast

St Eds demo'ed again

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I was out at St Eds yesterday, and the baseball field drop is gone. My guess is that the ridiculous, rickity 20' ladder drop to nowhere that was being built, drew attention to the legitimate, well-built ladder on the hillside. So it looks like Bastyr, who owns the property, just torn both of them out. :mad: I hope the teeter-totter is still there.

Thanks to another complete lack of forsight and selfish indulgence, another St Eds staple has been destoyed for everyone. :mumble: We might as well be riding Huffy's there now! I think Toys-R-Us has them on sale...

Good bye old buddy...we'll miss you.

Attachments

Big B said:
I was out at St Eds yesterday, and the baseball field drop is gone. My guess is that the ridiculous, rickity 20' ladder drop to nowhere that was being built, drew attention to the legitimate, well-built ladder on the hillside. So it looks like Bastyr, who owns the property, just torn both of them out. :mad: I hope the teeter-totter is still there.

Thanks to another complete lack of forsight and selfish indulgence, another St Eds staple has been destoyed for everyone. :mumble: We might as well be riding Huffy's there now! I think Toys-R-Us has them on sale...

Good bye old buddy...we'll miss you.
Man that sucks, sorry to hear that. Be expecting a bunch of lame @ss's to be making comments about building in the wrong.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Snacks said:
Gosh darn them! How dare they rip down stunts built on their property :rolleyes:
Don't miss the point here. Safe, small, unobtrusive stunts that don't damage the native growth have been allowed to remain there for years. When the North Shore wannabe's show up and build their Dangerous Dan road show in the woods, it's gets the land owner's feathers in a ruffle and we all lose. I'm not complaining about the land owner's. Just the irresponsible huckers.

Big B said:
Don't miss the point here. Safe, small, unobtrusive stunts that don't damage the native growth have been allowed to remain there for years. When the North Shore wannabe's show up and build their Dangerous Dan road show in the woods, it's gets the land owner's feathers in a ruffle and we all lose. I'm not complaining about the land owner's. Just the irresponsible huckers.
I can understand the land owners issue because there are lawsuit's that threatin' the livelyhood of the owner due to our lame @ss judicial system. I mean, if someone gets hurt on someone else's land from something that they illegally built, then the judge should be able to throw the case out of the court room. What the Fvck happened to the common sense in this country???

My arguement is, why can't we build on national forest land? For the same reason's? I just think that this country is going to hell in a hand basket!

It's sad, and what's even sad-er( I know it's not a word you spell checking wh0res) is the people who sue. They should implement a law that if a frivilous law suit is brought to court, then the scammer/cheater/fake/criminal b!tch @ass should be put in a remote part of Alaska where he has to try and make it to civilization in his undee's and a compass.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
NineFingers said:
I can understand the land owners issue because there are lawsuit's that threatin' the livelyhood of the owner due to our lame @ss judicial system. I mean, if someon...
I wonder if surfers get to sue the state if they get keelhauled by monster surf, or if skaters can sue the city when they whack their melons ollying off the courthouse steps?

I should sue my neighbor for his dog's leftover's in my yard.

Big B said:
I wonder if surfers get to sue the state if they get keelhauled by monster surf, or if skaters can sue the city when they whack their melons ollying off the courthouse steps?

Yeah I think I'm going to sue Ridemonkey for letting people post about stunts I could potentially get hurt on. lol

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Big B said:

You can sue for ANYTHING you want. And often those wacky ones somehow win.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Big B said:
So in that photo where did the native growth go? Or did it just hapen to rake its self out of the landing zone? (for a pretty wide path....) . Now before you get on my case, i ve never been there to see it in person....just pointing out a funny thing betweeen that photo and your statement.....

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
oly said:
So in that photo where did the native growth go? Or did it just hapen to rake its self out of the landing zone? (for a pretty wide path....) . Now before you get on my case, i ve never been there to see it in person....just pointing out a funny thing betweeen that photo and your statement.....
:think: Interesting point. Well, that hill is the entrace to the trail network from Bastyr's baseball field. In addition to bikes, it gets heavy use by kids of all ages when they are screwing around before, after, or during soccer or baseball practice. It goes back to single track at the bottom.
Another reason it is wide, is due to half of the hill being smooth, and the other half being 'stepped' with little ledges so you can get back up the thing. It is too steep to climb without dirt steps.
...and last, the picture angle makes it look much wider than it actually is.
More info than you probably wanted, but there it is. Chew on that for a bit. :thumb:

btw. I think your missing the best part...check that BIG air! :blah:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i rode that years and years back before their was a bridge drop there. It was clear of vegetation back then as well, and back then i don't think there were many people riding down it. Super steep.... Man it looks like if you carried speed you could have dropped forever off that beast.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Big B said:
Irresponsible huckers? Which type are they?

Big B said:
btw. I think your missing the best part...check that BIG air!
Spoken like a true hucker :eviltongu

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Maybe thats where someone dumped the Syanide then. I saw these rivers of that stuff in the Califonia mines that after a hunderd years or more there still isnt any veg growing back..... or maybe not.

I agree its too bad this thing got plowed. Maybe you guys can find out who built the other mega huck spot and go pound some nails in their knee caps. That will teach them to build Illegal stunts..

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
NineFingers said:
It's sad, and what's even sad-er( I know it's not a word you spell checking wh0res) is the people who sue. They should implement a law that if a frivilous law suit is brought to court, then the scammer/cheater/fake/criminal b!tch @ass should be put in a remote part of Alaska where he has to try and make it to civilization in his undee's and a compass.
I think that sounds like a good idea....something at least to try and teach people some concept of personal responsibility!!!

Sure there are times when a land owner, company, etc. is truly at fault....but the "sue happy" people of this country are making it harder and harder for "natural selection" to take it's course and weed these type of morons out!!! :p

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
That sucks...it really sounds like it's time to scout for new areas to work with. Seems like every time I'm exhaling, I hear about St. Ed's getting tore down.:(
That looked like a hella-fun drop for sure - I'll never know for sure. Perhaps at some point in the future.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
St Eds USED to be a fun place to ride, even before the triple set of dirt jumps that led to the destruction of everything. There were mild stunts everywhere that improved your skills. Safe and fun, all skill levels rode them.

The picture at the top of this thread was probably the biggest stunt out there 2nd to the dirt jumps.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
DBR X6 RIDER said:
That sucks...it really sounds like it's time to scout for new areas to work with. Seems like every time I'm exhaling, I hear about St. Ed's getting tore down.:(
That looked like a hella-fun drop for sure - I'll never know for sure. Perhaps at some point in the future.
It was a 8' minimum drop. Depending on speed, you could launch 12+.

St Eds is still a great place to ride, with some fun, challenging little stunts. It's just not the place to build North Shore stuff. The city, and the county just don't go for that.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Langer said:
St Eds USED to be a fun place to ride, even before the triple set of dirt jumps that led to the destruction of everything. There were mild stunts everywhere that improved your skills. Safe and fun, all skill levels rode them.

The picture at the top of this thread was probably the biggest stunt out there 2nd to the dirt jumps.
For sure! I am going to try to put some natural material at the top when I get a chance, so you can still catch air with some speed. Maybe a little dirt and a small log.

The dirt jumps rocked though. Those kids worked so hard on those. That was just sad, when those got razed. I think they lost heart after that, because nothing has been replaced.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I hear ya'. Anywhere that is in the woods is a great place to ride in my books...so long as you can't see the city/suburbia then put me there.
We're kind of having the same issue w/ people building larger-than-life stuff at SST and I wish they would just find another spot to do that, really. At least in a different area than where we have our stuff. God only knows there are places that sport better terrain for those kinds of features that are not very far away as well.
I understand the need for larger stunts, jumps, etc. - but then they compromise the smaller ones that the majority of riders use, then nobody can progress - period.
Sh!t, hope you folks can at least resurrect that particular drop in the near-future.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
DBR X6 RIDER said:
I hear ya'. Anywhere that is in the woods is a great place to ride in my books...so long as you can't see the city/suburbia then put me there.
We're kind of having the same issue w/ people building larger-than-life stuff at SST and I wish they would just find another spot to do that, really. At least in a different area than where we have our stuff. God only knows there are places that sport better terrain for those kinds of features that are not very far away as well.
I understand the need for larger stunts, jumps, etc. - but then they compromise the smaller ones that the majority of riders use, then nobody can progress - period.
Sh!t, hope you folks can at least resurrect that particular drop in the near-future.
You nailed it. Preach it brother! :thumb:

...the dead shall arise..

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Big B said:
For sure! I am going to try to put some natural material at the top when I get a chance, so you can still catch air with some speed. Maybe a little dirt and a small log.....
.....because nothing has been replaced.
Apparently you haven't gotten the message that they don't want you building on their property???

I mean, judging by your last statement, the kids have....

Maybe you weren't around about 8(?) or so years ago when the neighbors were doing everything in their power to get mtb bikes excluded from those trails within the park and in Bastyr's property. It took the BBTC everything they had to not let that happen. At the time I thought it sucked they closed the two best trails in the network (can't even tell where they existed now) as a trade-off to keep the rest open.
And don't think the people trying to get the bikes out have given up. Every time someone builds something they are not supposed to, I'll give you 10-1 odds it isn't the other trail riders complaining to the owners that gets it torn down.
You are jepordizing the very existence of "bike" trails in that park (and surrounding property) everytime you do.

Don't get me wrong, I probably build as much "unapproved" trails as anyone, but I would never do it in a place so "public". And I have not and will not get on some internet forum and whine when they do tear my sh!t down. Thats the rules when playing this game.....

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
Big B said:
... drew attention to the legitimate, well-built ladder ...
Since this stunt was legitimate, sounds like all you have to do is go back to the person that gave you permission to build it and get their permission again? I mean, since it was legitimate and all......

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
Big B said:
Just the irresponsible huckers.
From everything thats been posted, see tenfingersofdoom, yentil, MTrider or whatever the handle is this week.
Who's the lame ass when people keep insisting they have some god-given right to build on other peoples property???

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I can see that drop being taken out 'cause the last time I hit it I went at least 12 ft down and flew back up the trail only to see a man and his dog go flying into the bushes. I was slowed down enough that I could have easily avoided them or stopped alltogether. But their perception must have been a little different. Hope the nettles didn't get 'em.

Alright, so tell me they at least left the jumps alone in that one section that had the log/dugout drop. There has been that one jump that's been there since the dawn of man and at least one other dugout step down on the left as you enter that section. Are they still there?

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
trailhacker said:
Apparently you haven't gotten the message that they don't want you building on their property???

I mean, judging by your last statement, the kids have....

Maybe you weren't around about 8(?) or so years ago when the neighbors were doing everything in their power to get mtb bikes excluded from those trails within the park and in Bastyr's property. It took the BBTC everything they had to not let that happen. At the time I thought it sucked they closed the two best trails in the network (can't even tell where they existed now) as a trade-off to keep the rest open.
And don't think the people trying to get the bikes out have given up. Every time someone builds something they are not supposed to, I'll give you 10-1 odds it isn't the other trail riders complaining to the owners that gets it torn down.
You are jepordizing the very existence of "bike" trails in that park (and surrounding property) everytime you do.

Don't get me wrong, I probably build as much "unapproved" trails as anyone, but I would never do it in a place so "public". And I have not and will not get on some internet forum and whine when they do tear my sh!t down. Thats the rules when playing this game.....

Your presumption concerning the magnitude of the build I was talking about is wrong. :nope:
I am a member of the BBTC and actively participate in trail maintainance at St. Edwards/Bastyr/Finn Hill. I even told the kids that built the dirt jumps not to do it, because it was scheduled for demolition early last Spring. Bastyr university has OK'd some of the stuff on their property, as long as no more is built, and nothing to big. That is why the teeter totter, log rides, and the slats remain. The jump at the top of the hill that was removed, used to be 2 smaller ramps that no one had a problem with. Then some slick went and took the smaller of the two, and attached it to the end of the bigger one, making one huge one, which my picture shows. That was over the line for Bastyr. Am I still going to ride off it? Of course. And I'll enjoy it as long I can, unless told specifically that it has to go.
There is a happy medium. As long as people don't take advantage of Bastyr's generosity, small stunts are OK. All things in moderation.

:thumb:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
NineFingers said:
Who said anything about "rights" to build. What a chump!
All you ever do is whine about not being able to build what ever you want, where ever you want, how ever you want. But in big sky MONTANA you can build what ever you want, where ever you want. Whats keepin' ya here with that eutopia awaitin' back home?
Nice edit on the post BTW, before I could even finish responding....

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
Big B said:
Your presumption concerning the magnitude of the build I was talking about is wrong. :nope:
I am a member of the BBTC and actively participate in trail maintainance at St. Edwards/Bastyr/Finn Hill. I even told the kids that built the dirt jumps not to do it, because it was scheduled for demolition early last Spring. Bastyr university has OK'd some of the stuff on their property, as long as no more is built, and nothing to big. That is why the teeter totter, log rides, and the slats remain. The jump at the top of the hill that was removed, used to be 2 smaller ramps that no one had a problem with. Then some slick went and took the smaller of the two, and attached it to the end of the bigger one, making one huge one, which my picture shows. That was over the line for Bastyr. Am I still going to ride off it? Of course. And I'll enjoy it as long I can, unless told specifically that it has to go.
There is a happy medium. As long as people don't take advantage of Bastyr's generosity, small stunts are OK. All things in moderation.

:thumb:
I presume nothing. It doesn't matter the "Magnitude" of what was built. If you are in with the BBTC, I'm sure your well aware of what kind of fight they had and I'm guessing still fighting. But like I said before, go back to the person that gave you permission and get it again. Then you should not have to worry about it getting plowed.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Bullitrider said:
I can see that drop being taken out 'cause the last time I hit it I went at least 12 ft down and flew back up the trail only to see a man and his dog go flying into the bushes. I was slowed down enough that I could have easily avoided them or stopped alltogether. But their perception must have been a little different. Hope the nettles didn't get 'em.
It's always a good idea to check that hill before you descend!

Bullitrider said:
that one jump that's been there since the dawn of man and at least one other dugout step down on the left as you enter that section. Are they still there?
I'm not sure where your referring, but EVERYTHING in Finn Hill is gone. Only stuff in the middle section of forest (Bastyr property) remains. OK, technically there is 1 dirt jump that has been replaced in Finn Hill. It's just some dirt at the top of a hill.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
trailhacker said:
I presume nothing. It doesn't matter the "Magnitude" of what was built. If you are in with the BBTC, I'm sure your well aware of what kind of fight they had and I'm guessing still fighting. But like I said before, go back to the person that gave you permission and get it again. Then you should not have to worry about it getting plowed.
Yes, magnitude does matter. No, I am not aware of any fighting going on. Finally, I'm not worried about it getting plowed, but you seem to be.

Different folks, different strokes. I guess you can't please everyone.