Quantcast

stab primo with new monsters

konaguy49

Chimp
May 19, 2005
U K
hey guys and girls

well after falling out with my ht im looking into getting a stab primo and was wondering if anyone has ridden or owned this set up, ive had a stinky primo before and it was lovely, but its time for a fs bike again, any help would be appreciated

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
isnt the geometry and everything the same on both just what there made out of diffrent
if so you alredy know what they fell like lol.

konaguy49

Chimp
May 19, 2005
U K
im not sure ive never ridden a stab primo, im sure its not the same, whats the difference in materials there made of? it shouldnt be any different strengh wise, hmm, i think ill end up convincing myself soon

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
the only difference between the top stinkey and the top stab is the metal there made out of and the colors.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
okay ignore my old post thats what i get for not looking into things before i said anything.

ohh and what the other guys said. (its been a long time since ive looked at kona if you couldnt tell lol). sorry for the stupid post and the confusion.

konaguy49

Chimp
May 19, 2005
U K
im a really heavy guy, i had the 03 monsters on a bighit before and i loved them, the weights really not a problem, just geometry, the big hit weigher 56lbs, and i wasnt too bad with it, so i recon a stab would be ok with them, i know its a dh frame, but its so lovely, i must own such a lovely beast

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
dude but just imagine having an 888 or a shiver or a dorado even on the front of that beast. yeh you can say you have a monster, but the bling bling factor is better with an 888 and it works better.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
untill he breaks it that is... condsidering he broke the internals in some new monsters i cant see the castings or internals in some 888's lasting him too long.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
pangeist said:
stinky=freeride
stab=downhill
slight variations in geometry and suspension setup
you're right, the stinky series has more progressive travel for larger drops, whereas the stab has more linear travel, better for plowing through rock gardens and such. so for freeride, the stinky is better. Furthermore the monster is completly useless: the 888 has taken over in the FR dept.

aidanwray

Chimp
May 16, 2005
UK
you havent seen konaguy49, the guys absolutely mahoosive!

tbh, i think monsters are the only fork for you konaguy49, if you were to ride my 888s for a day im pretty sure youd manage to break em!

a stinky supreme with monsters perhaps?

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
how big is this guy. he must be 300 lbs and do hucks that are like 50 feet. not even bender has done that yet. the 888's withstand the abuse of many pro class freeriders and dhillers alike. if you break an 888 there is something really wrong with you.

konaguy49

Chimp
May 19, 2005
U K
cheecky feck adz, im not exactly light, and i ride hard, i dont like the feel of 888's and i dont really rate them for me, there too sort, monsters were fine, dorados would be nice, but taking into consideration i live in the uk, the price could be a small problem.
Back on topic, rather than the argument of 888's are better, i dont like them so i wont consider them. all i wanted to know is would the fork and frame go together?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the monster and stab primo frame will be fine and do not get a dorado at your weight! I am not a fan of the newer monsters but they are stiff and plush.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
tghe stab primo is gonna carve better than the stinky will but it also has a little more brake jack as well. the monster should do fine unless you are going with a size small stab. given the weight of the frame the monster should balance out fine. i would however recommend using the integrated stem if at all possible. it makes for a much more laterally stiff front end when turning. also you may (and i am not sure about this)end up needing a drop crown for the monster so you might wanna check that out.

konaguy49

Chimp
May 19, 2005
U K
the 03 onwards monsters are drop crown versions, there will be no brake jack, i'll be getting a brake therapy kit and an avy shock so it will be set up more progersivly, well thanks for the info guys