Quantcast

Stack heights for Boxxer?

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Hi

Just wanting to know if anyone can tell me the max stack height (underside of lower headset bearing to upper side of top headset bearing) for 2007 Boxxers.

Wanting to know if I can get away with the standard crown, or if I'll need a dropped onw.

Current stack height I've got is 154mm.

Thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Are you sure you have a flat crown? All the Boxxers available here in the states come stock with the taller crown. (not as tall as the older super tall crown)

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Yep, pretty sure.

I'm not in the States - perhaps that explains?

If I were to run it, it would mean there's a risk of hitting the tyre on the underside of the lower crowns, right?

I wonder how much margin they design for - I tend to run pretty small tyres (usually 2.35" Maxxis HRs)

The 2006 manual says max tyre diameter of 710mm.... just measured mine they're about 675. Seems there's a bit of margin.

Also - I suppose there needs to be full travel (203 clear) on the stanchions right?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
203mm minimum stanchion exposure (205mm is the recommendation afaik), and the tyres have NOTHING to do with it as you have incorrectly assumed. If the lower crown is too low on the stanchions, the dust wipers will hit the crown, squish - and beyond that other nasty things will happen (lowers smacking crowns etc). Tyre clearance issues will occur after all that, so it's definitely not okay to think "i've got a smaller tyre, I can run the fork lower than recommended".

Therefore, I'd strongly suggest sticking to their recommended minimums and maximums, and get a drop crown as i'm guessing you'll need.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Well you seem to be one of those people that won't accept an answer because it's not what you wanted to hear. I thought i'd put it a little more bluntly.

:nopity:

fUUBi

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
I´m sure that you can run a lot lower stanchion exposure than 203mm. I use it something about little over 190mm dust wipers to lower crown. There is no possibility that the crown would hit anywhere now. I tested it by deflated my air spring. Then I put ziptie on stanchion and botomout the fork hardly. I still have few mm for safety :lighten:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I´m sure that you can run a lot lower stanchion exposure than 203mm. I use it something about little over 190mm dust wipers to lower crown. There is no possibility that the crown would hit anywhere now. I tested it by deflated my air spring. Then I put ziptie on stanchion and botomout the fork hardly. I still have few mm for safety :lighten:
Then you're not getting full travel out of your fork...

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Well you seem to be one of those people that won't accept an answer because it's not what you wanted to hear. I thought i'd put it a little more bluntly.

:nopity:
Thank you so much for your considerate reply. I am very glad that you took the time to read and understand the question and appreciate what I was asking. You must be very clever to understand what the answer was that I didn't want to accept, and to preemptivly know what it was that I wanted to hear.

Given that you're such magnificent person, with such impressive tact and empathy... and you clearly know everything there is to know about Boxxers, life and the universe... would you be so kind as to tell me the length of the fork stanchion above the seal in fully extended position, and the thickness of the crowns, so I can work out exactly whether there will be 203mm clear?

Kind regards

Whoops

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
you should never run less than 203 as the fork moves 203mm before it bottoms hense the travel, so you ither measuring wrong (stantions sagging in unger bike weight?) or one stantion is lower than the other meaning one leg will be pushed say 15mm in already so it would bottom at 188mm leaving the other leg unbottomed which isnt great because it puts all the pressure on one leg. Ither that or theres somthing wrong internaly.

sorry i will have a look later at the stantions full length i belive a drop crown is 2inches as apposed to 1inch for a flat so you should be able to work it out from there but at the moment its raining :disgust: and i cant be bothered to go outside

fUUBi

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
Okay I measured it again. There is 197mm between dust seals and lower crown.
How much the whole stanchion should be out of the lowers? I mean that whole visible part of stanchion which is not in the lowers. Mine has 385mm stanchions in visible (but I have Enduro seals which takes 1-2mm more than original ones, the seals are piece of **** btw.)

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Thank you so much for your considerate reply. I am very glad that you took the time to read and understand the question and appreciate what I was asking. You must be very clever to understand what the answer was that I didn't want to accept, and to preemptivly know what it was that I wanted to hear.

Given that you're such magnificent person, with such impressive tact and empathy... and you clearly know everything there is to know about Boxxers, life and the universe... would you be so kind as to tell me the length of the fork stanchion above the seal in fully extended position, and the thickness of the crowns, so I can work out exactly whether there will be 203mm clear?

Kind regards

Whoops

You know what, maybe you dooooo know everything;

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166577

rrrrespect to the Udi.

Any way, I still need that dimension or I'm gonna have to buy a 66 rc2x. Boo.

Whoops

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah... I know a thing or two about the new boxxers. :)

You won't get an accurate measurement on exposed stanchion because it will vary depending on how much the fork sits into its travel, and if you force it to extend, how much you do so by... etc. Either way - inaccurate. 205mm is just a safe number to go with to stop people from screwing up their fork.

If you want to work out an accurate minimum fork height, there's only one way. With the fork upside down (and solo air drained of pressure, or coil spring removed - respectively), undo the footbolts 3/4 of the way and tap them in to release the cartridge rods from the lowers and allow air to escape. With the bolts held down, compress the fork as much as possible (you should hear air escape as you do this). Ideally you'd also drain the 15ml per lower leg of oil to help bottom out the fork easily. Do the footbolts up again with the fork compressed.

With the crowns mounted at a safe distance up (say 210mm exposed stanchion), and some sort of marker on the stanchion (grease or an o-ring), force the fork to bottom out as hard as you can by pushing on it. There should be a reasonably hard stop. Note where the dust wipers reached on the stanchion. You can safely mount the lower crown 2mm above this line. The stanchions bottom out on rubber bumpers that can compress approximately 2-3mm, so that's what the leeway is for.

Once you've got the lower crown mounted as low as possible, tighten everything up again (syringe in 15-20ml of thick fork oil into each lower leg if you drained them) and mount the fork up. See if the flat crown will reach the stanchions. If there isn't 100% contact then it's realistically not going to be an issue, anything down to 75% should be okay. You can remove your headset dust cover to help lower the stack height if needed.

Hope that helps... obviously this assumes you already have the fork. If you don't get at least 75% contact of upper crown to stanchions, then you'll just need to buy a drop crown. The new dropcrowns (05 onwards) are forged neatly to avoid hitting the frame before the bumpers so there's really no downside to running them. Often people are happy to trade one for the other if you are willing to hunt around.

Good luck!

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Hey, thanks.

That's a pretty comprehensive task list there.

The fun part is.... I don't have the forks! :-) That's why I'm asking in the first place - to help me decide whether to buy them or the 66's.

My 'I'm really going to do more DH racing' mind says go for the boxxers.... but the part of my mind that know's what I'll probably end up doing says the 66's will be lower maintenance.

Anyway, thx for the advice. Peace out, mofo.

edit to add.... you bloody aussie underarm bowling wanker. ;-)