Quantcast

Stander wins SA Champs

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Specialized's Burry Stander wanted to wear the jersey of South African Champion at the World Cup in Pietermaritzburg and after the weekend's dominating performance at the SA Cross Country Championships his dream will come true.</p><p>
</p><p>
Stander won the race of seven laps (just over 6km a lap) at Delvera just outside Stellenbosch in 1 hour, 44 minutes and 25 seconds.</p><p>
</p><p>
Matthys Beukes and Mark Bassingthwaigthe (Garmin-adidas) was second and third respectively. Bassingthwaigthe is a Namibian though so the bronze medal went to Ben-Melt Swanepoel who rides for Specialized in South Africa. They were all five minutes and more </p><p>
behind Stander who showed his class on every lap.</p><p>
</p><p>
Stander had company for the first lap in the form of Philip Buys (Garmin-adidas). Even though Buys tried valiantly to stay with Stander it proved an impossible task especially after he snapped a chain with a only a few laps to go.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It was a fast course with some heavy climbing. I choose very light tires to go with my Epic 29'er," said Stander.</p><p>
</p><p>
For Stander it was important to win the title of South African Champion only a few weeks after he was crowned African Champion.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It is always important to win. I really wanted to wear the SA jersey at the World Cup in Pietermaritzburg in April. It is going to be a huge honor."</p><p>
</p><p>
Earlier in the week Stander and his Specialized team-mate Christoph Sauser competed in a four day road cycle tour, Tour de Boland.</p><p>
</p><p>
Stander only raced the first two days and then pulled out to focus on the SA Championships. He was King of the Mountains after the first two stages.</p><p>
</p><p>
Sauser did finish the tour and finished fourth overall.</p><p>
</p><p>
Stander and Sauser raced in the Cape Argus Cycle Tour on Sunday. More than 35000 cyclists raced in this 110km road race, the world's biggest timed node day race. Both of them finished in the main bunch in just over 2 hours and 35 minutes.</p><p>
</p><p>
Next on the calendar for Stander is the SA Marathon Championships in his home province of KwaZulu-Natal this Saturday.</p>

More...