Quantcast

Stan's Rim Strip sizing for Mavic 721s

*Pepe*

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
Vancouver, BC
has anyone had any success squeezing in a stan's FR rim strip into a mavic 721? the stan's website / tech support recommends a rhyno lite rim strip for the 721, however the rhyno only comes in presta and i prefer a shrader valve which only the FR and DH rims strips support.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I did get a couple of the 721 specific strips, and they were shrader (car valve), so I'd check that.

I also compared them with the FR strips I had and the FR ones were only wider by a very small amount. i remember thinking that the FR ones would prob be fine in 721s.

I can measure both and give exact difference if you need, but I'd check if the 721 specific strip does come in shrader.

Good luck,

JT

*Pepe*

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
Vancouver, BC
thanks contactjt. that was helpful.

edit: stan's just confirmed that they don't make a 721 compatible rim strip with a shrader valve.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeay! Stans FR version (VS) rim strip will go you just have to tuck it under the lip. A light weight 20" tube works for ghetto rim strips very well too. Ive run both I just have rim strips so I use them but my other set up (ghetto) saw a ton of abuse and worked flawless.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
does that actually work? just tape?
Worked for me on the XM321 with UST tires. I used duct tape, his valve stem, and the Stan's sealant. Took a little bit to get it inflated with a small compressor. After it sealed up it held 60 psi for 3 days before I aired it down to ride.

One of these days I'll get the time to try it with the Stan's tape.

Check out this video.
http://www.notubes.com/movietape.php

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am thinking about converting my Mavic EX721 to tubeless and I prefer Schrader valves, so I'm interested in the Stan's FR rim strip.
Do somebody have real world experience with that combination? Does it work?