Quantcast

Starting a website

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So, I'm starting a website for the DH team I'm starting for the 2010 season. The team is going to be a small trade team (trying to get my aunt's company to sponsor us and pay for the trade team costs) based out of Santa Barbara, CA.

Anyways, I've already paid for the domain name...now what? I know how to do web design, etc. since that's part of my major but have never physically started one and have no clue what to do after getting the name. I've always had to upload assignments to my school servers, etc. so am not familiar with getting servers and s**t.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.
One more thing...when it's done the website is www.teamsbmtb.com Simple and short...that name won over www.velocitydhsb.com

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Th easy way is to use a hosting site like GoDaddy where most of the work is done for you. They have lots of wysiwyg bullsh!t that will help get you going but they also have terminal access in case you get a clue.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
www.squarespace.com is the next hot thing -- they have an awesome user interface and you can put together a decent looking site in no time. It's all based online, so you don't need to download anything. Their prices are pretty competitive, but are on the higher end of the spectrum. In order to use your own domain name, you'll need to buy a "Pro" package -- I believe $14/mo, or buy a year-long contract and get a small discount. Be sure to look for online coupons as well. I seem to recall entering one for an even deeper discount.

Here's my site built I with SquareSpace -- I did it in about 5 hours, learning curve included. Pretty basic, but I don't think it looks too bad:

www.ikedaphoto.com

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I use the godaddy

all you would need is the economy plan - 12mos:$4.74/mo

Design your site, then FTP it.

IE has a built in FTP

ftp://teamsbmtb.com

copy & paste

done

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I use a site builder company I used to work for to host and design my site. SUPER easy to manage and build.

I am paying $4.95 a month for a 3 page site, hosting, and the site builder.

Let me know what you think:

www.joshmdh.com

The company is called www.spinsite.com and you can link your domain name up with it easily as well.

Last edited:

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I use lithiumhosting.com It's 1$ a month for hosting and you can also get a domain through them (or transfer it since you already bought yours).

Uptime is great, customer service is fast, and they have no trouble with getting linked by slashdot/engadget or other big sites. I can't reccomend them enough.

Oh yea, they use something called cpanel which is really helpful for folks new to making websites.. and for the pros they offer shell access for 5$ a year more.