Quantcast

Starting new build...check her out...

XJman07

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Folsom, CA
Got her all put together with some temporary parts. Going to get some trail time in on it tomorrow up in Chico.
Parts to be replaced with soon:
Sunline stem
SDG TI-Fly seat
721/Hope Pro II wheelset

Anyways here she is:

Heres my newest build:

2009 SX Trail II medium
2008 Rockshox Totem Solo-Air
2009 Fox DHX 5.0
Chris King Headset
X.9 Derailleur
X.9 Shifter
Sunline V-1 Bars
Truvativ Holzfeller 60mm stem
2008 Shimano XT cranks
SRAM PC-971 chain
E.13 chain ring
Gamut P.30 guide
2007 Avid Code brakes
Wellgo MG-1 pedals
Odi grips

Waiting on:
Mavic 721s w/ Hope Pro IIs

Gunna start putting most of it together tomorrow, super excited. I have everything except the wheels.
Let me know what you guys think/opinions!
Or if you have a rear Hope Pro II hub let me know.

Last edited:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i know they improved on suspension layout, standover, etc on this new frame, but i still like the look of the older one better. needless to say though, this bike is going to be sick, just get a little color on it maybe.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nice bike!

Good luck getting a Pro II right now though, I'm waiting for a set for my build as well.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
XJman07, what are there two threaded wholes on the extention of the right chainstay above BB tube for?
Special front der mount?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I have a gold hope pro 2 hub, used for 1 season great shape. Let me know if your interested. 135 spacing with standard 10mm bolt set up. Should be a great build up, that is one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden. Super capable and versatile.

Save yourself the probability of a bunch of creaking and much headset retightening and don't fit the chris king, especially as you will have a tall single crown fork.

You will be better off with an integrated low stack bottom headset setup anyway to keep the front end lower and keep the geometry close to what it was intended (as you will be running a taller fork than stock).

Sweet bike though, enjoy.

JT

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
Save yourself the probability of a bunch of creaking and much headset retightening and don't fit the chris king, especially as you will have a tall single crown fork.

You will be better off with an integrated low stack bottom headset setup anyway to keep the front end lower and keep the geometry close to what it was intended (as you will be running a taller fork than stock).

Sweet bike though, enjoy.

JT
the word is that the chris kings has a different tolerence thatn the old cobra headtubes. im not sure if thats still true for the new 1.5-1.125 HT,

that being said, i put a king in my '08 sx trail, and ive never had a creak out of it. so id say take any advice in this situation with a grain of salt.

the word is that the chris kings has a different tolerence thatn the old cobra headtubes. im not sure if thats still true for the new 1.5-1.125 HT,

that being said, i put a king in my '08 sx trail, and ive never had a creak out of it. so id say take any advice in this situation with a grain of salt.
Have you felt the excessive play there is between the top bearing cap and the steerer. This is what can cause the creaking and can cause loosening when using a King headset.

Just do a headset play test while pinching the interface between the top bearing cap and the spacer on top of it. On rocking the bike fore and aft (with the brake applied) you will almost certainly feel play which is due to a rubber (o ring) interface between the headset and the steerer.

Most, if not all other headsets have a metal interface.

You may not have noticed this issue with Kings, but it has affected many, particularly those running long travel forks.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
King is too stingy to pay for the use of CC's little split compression ring, so they try to get away without one and fail miserably.