Quantcast

Stay with Code or go Formula ORO K24?

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
I'm getting more and more disappointed with my Codes, especially the rear and I've found a great deal on a complete set of ORO K24s ... stay with the Codes or go K24? Are K24s okay for DH? I weigh about 150lb. Don't race.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
We have a set of them that we have been using on the last few test bikes. the levers are VERY SHORT. Thats a complaint and some of the riders really hated the feel and bend of the levers.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
yeah, I've had som k18 and oro biancos (and now on the mega's). Problem free brakes. The lever does however feel smooshy on the k18-k24. If you bleed them well, is shoundlt be bad at all though. I loved them and raced all the time on them, plus any extra parts you made need come cheap... at least they do here.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i really like the lever design of the K24s. feel great for my large hands. and with 203 mm rotors, sintered metallic pads (they come w/ organics stock) and a good bleed, they work fine for DH.

but the newer formula brakes are much more powerful.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
i ditched my codes for Formula The Ones and would never switch back. Never had the lever change feel, plenty strong, tons of modulation.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
I have been using K24 for 3 years now and they have been good! I like the levers, must be some special preference if you do not like them, but that is OK.

Never bled them, but I have removed the hose from the lever a few times when building new bikes. Just attached the hoses again and went out riding, no problem!

They are not as stupid powerful as "the ones" which I think is nearly dangerously powerful :)

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Steve, have you ever bled your codes? I gave up on mine anyway and bought a cheap set of Formula RX.
Now these little brakes are nice and reliable, but I miss the lever adjustment, just can't get them close enough to the bar. If you go with formula brake, make sure you get one with adjustable pad contact.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Since they stopped producing them ppl stopped complaining on them? ;) I had a very mixed experiance with my oros. One time they were working flawlessly the other they had no power or the lever went to the bars. They changed boods more often than a pair of pmsing lesbians.
Though I have to say they had enough power for dh. Just get a proper brake fluid to prevent fade.

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Steve, have you ever bled your codes? I gave up on mine anyway and bought a cheap set of Formula RX.
Now these little brakes are nice and reliable, but I miss the lever adjustment, just can't get them close enough to the bar. If you go with formula brake, make sure you get one with adjustable pad contact.
Got the official Avid bleed kit and patiently tap the bits until all the little bubbles come out. After bleeding them the rear feels a bit squidgy at the end of the pull whereas the front still has its solid feel. Tried them at one time with HEL hoses and went back to original Avids.
Also on the rear, if I set activation quite soon into the pull the lever sometimes feels as though it momentarily binds when I release the lever after braking...if I set the activation later into the pull that binding feeling is gone.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Formulas... I had codes I liked mine had em for a short period but they felt great. Had a fade issue in rear but were a good brake... I know some people had issues with them but I like the ones I had.
I have been on formulas for 4 years now and LOVE them, the codes were on a bike I bought or I wouldnt have tried them,,,,

Oro biancos (basically a polished out K24) had TONS of power Im 235lbs never questioned the stopping even in freezing cold and long descents in N. Idaho wether mud, ice snow or just freezing. They worked as well in 100 degree heat maybe hooked up a smidge faster then a frozen rotor and pad LOL but didnt give me any greif.

Levers feel great I like the design I have big paws and they work perfect, levers can be changed if not liked, our boy Tyler (twenty6) or straitline can hook it up if you dont like the triggers but the brakes are great...

Formulas :thumb: