Quantcast

Steak on my leg?

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Let me know if any of you ever heard of this, but I got a deep muscle bruise this weekend and I'm trying to take care of it. I'm icing it, hoping to control the swelling, but the swelling is not really bad where I hit (mid thigh), it's just down near my knee.

Plus, the bruise hasn't even come up. I know I did something cause I couldn't walk on it Monday and even today, my muscle burns if I use my quad.

Anyway, someone told me to slap a steak on it to bring the bruise up...wtf???

So, what's the deal? Does bringing up a bruise help it heal faster? Has anyone ever done this?

And more importantly do I cook the steak or not? Does it need to be high quality and do I have to have a glass of red wine when I do it?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've heard of using sea salt on a bruise, but never steak.

edit: found this on a Farmers Almanac web page:
"Holding a raw steak on a bruise helps by reducing inflammation. As the steak deteriorates, it releases protease, which destroys the blood clot and speeds up healing. "

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
ive seen steak put on bee stings.
keep your leg elevated and ice no longer than 10 min at a time and do it like 3 times a day.
id say grill the steak and enjoy with a good beer

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
bella said:
ive seen steak put on bee stings.
keep your leg elevated and ice no longer than 10 min at a time and do it like 3 times a day.
id say grill the steak and enjoy with a good beer
why not more than 10 min at a time?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I think you're supposed to ice for the first 48 hrs and after that time use heat 'till it feels better.

The ice prevents the inital damage from spreading... but once the body starts to heal, the heat helps that process.

Never heard of applying steak, I'm not sure how dead muscle could help an injured living muscle...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Doesn't the cold slow down and reduce swelling......

and the heat increases blood flow, aiding in flushingout and repairing the damaged area?

*I don't know crap so don't take my word for gospel*

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
well after 10 min you just dont really get the credit for icing your leg. you can keep going it just wont do anything.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
dh girlie said:
haven't you ever seen that on the cartoons? where they put a steak on a black eye? Seen it in popeye for sure...
oh yeah!!! i remember that!

excellent, finally some solid evidence!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
R I C E

Rest -- obvious

Ice -- it's always safe to use ice, not for longer than 10-15 minutes at a time, but you can use it for 3-4 days. The cold helps reduce swelling. While heat does bring blood with nutrients, it'll also increase swelling tearing flesh and forcing joints to heal out of position.

Compress -- reduces swelling, good thing, see ice. But never ever use compression if you could fall asleep... there's a chance you can twist bandages, cut off blood, and lose the limb. Never use compression on your neck.

Elevation -- gravity reduces swelling.

Also, try Arniflora from the Arnica plant. It naturally reduces swelling and relieves pain. It's strictly anecdotal, but it works for me. I put it on my knee to help with tendonitis after long rides.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
douglas said:
even hematomas? Hmm... thats a new one to me
depends upon where and how big, yeah?

I crashed my motorcycle and got one so big, it was like having 2-liter bottle of soda on my leg. If I moved too quickly, it'd start tearing flesh and bleeding internally more.

IF this ever happens to anyone, insist the docs cut you. I still have a bit of swelling a year later. Took a couple of months before I could even ride slowly... which is how I wound up on a roadbike. Took ~6 months before I could really mtb without pain.

As for Megan, sounds like the swelling is draining down into a joint... that can't be good to leave untreated.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
LordOpie said:
R I C E

Rest -- obvious

Ice -- it's always safe to use ice, not for longer than 10-15 minutes at a time, but you can use it for 3-4 days. The cold helps reduce swelling. While heat does bring blood with nutrients, it'll also increase swelling tearing flesh and forcing joints to heal out of position.

Compress -- reduces swelling, good thing, see ice. But never ever use compression if you could fall asleep... there's a chance you can twist bandages, cut off blood, and lose the limb. Never use compression on your neck.

Elevation -- gravity reduces swelling.

Also, try Arniflora from the Arnica plant. It naturally reduces swelling and relieves pain. It's strictly anecdotal, but it works for me. I put it on my knee to help with tendonitis after long rides.
I've definitely heard of RICE, but what about treatment for after 3-4 days? For example, I sprained my ankle pretty bad about 3 months ago and it is still a little swollen, isn't there anything I can do about that?

hmm...didn't see and "S" in "RICE" so I'm assuming they don't know about the steak thing...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Megan Black said:
I've definitely heard of RICE, but what about treatment for after 3-4 days? For example, I sprained my ankle pretty bad about 3 months ago and it is still a little swollen, isn't there anything I can do about that?

hmm...didn't see and "S" in "RICE" so I'm assuming they don't know about the steak thing...
you should see a doctor!

but if you're like me, then you won't... so try ice, stretching, vitamin-I (ibuprofen), and arnica.

If you have a massage therapist friend, ask them to get rid of it. You'd be surprised how a good and qualified massage can heal.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I soak in Espon salt after a good crash, whick is almost daliy :rolleyes: It brings down the swelling, reduces bruising, and over all just makes your muscles feel good :)