Quantcast

steel/carbon....new frame

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Seeing this improved my mood today

New bike from Draco in Rochester. It is painted, will be in my hands by early next week, and will get an el cheapo build for Sea Otter where it will be broken in.

oooh, shiny.

The Ito

ito

Oct 3, 2003
jtframe[at]frontiernet.net

You can reach John at his email. As for the price, I can't really answer as I don't know the retail for this. It was a custom job done one-off for a friend. You'll have to ask John.

The Ito

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
ito said:
jtframe[at]frontiernet.net

You can reach John at his email. As for the price, I can't really answer as I don't know the retail for this. It was a custom job done one-off for a friend. You'll have to ask John.

The Ito
I would be asking $1250 shipped in the US. But it is not a stock thing.. Ryan chose his own geometry. It really looks great in person. I hope it looks really great rolling over finish lines...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
draco said:
I would be asking $1250 shipped in the US. But it is not a stock thing.. Ryan chose his own geometry. It really looks great in person. I hope it looks really great rolling over finish lines...
that's yours? nice work.

Hey what do you use to bond the carbon to the steel?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
that frame is rediculous. ive been thinking of doing something along these lines for a while now. this just makes me want to do it even more. f'ing gorgeous, i must say.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The Toninator said:
seriously, don made a carbon/steel bastard?
where's the pic?

Pre-paint:

Still at the painter. Seatstays haven't been glued.

My camera sucks because this pic doesn't do the paint justice.

He has done quite a few carbon stay bikes.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The Toninator said:
so that's steen's (he used to race for my team) bike right? where's youres, it's a cx right?
Yeah, that was Steen's old one. Is he still riding?

If you scroll up, I posted some pics, but here is a built up one.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
chicodude said:
They would be so much prettier if they didn't say "WALKER" in hideous typeface on the DT.
agreed.

Bike is built. Scale says sub-24 lbs with non-bling build. My current plans will knock of 3-4lbs without a problem. This race season isn't even going to be fair. Rides really nice, though a bit longer than I was expecting. Super smooth. Pics soon.

The Ito

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Quick pics, I'll get nicer ones later.

Sub-24 right now. Will be lighter later on when I have money and time.

I'm very excited.

full bike

drivetrain

I'll be at Sea Otter, so if you see me be sure to say hello.

The Ito

Huph

Chimp
May 15, 2005
Out on the trail
Man that is a hot looking frame.

I built a new steel hardtail around a Cotic Soul 853 frame a couple of months.

It is SOOOO nice to ride.

Look here it is.

Fame is 4.3 lbs. Total about 27 lbs but I still have to replace the make do bar & stem, and save up for some nice wheels. Currently on Crosslands run UST tyres so hope to drop another pound or two.

Enjoy your new bike.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
blue said:
How does that chain stay on through the rough stuff? Is that what the thingy clamped to the seattube does?
I added a big chainring as a bash guard to the outside and the inside is a Third Eye Chain Stop. Worked great at Sea Otter (muddiest, craziest trail I could have tested it on) and has worked everywhere else no problem.

however gears suck and I'm going singlespeed on it. Unfortunately this beautiful bike is stuck doing porch warming duty until I can afford a fork, brakes, and a crankset.

The Ito

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
ito said:
I added a big chainring as a bash guard to the outside and the inside is a Third Eye Chain Stop. Worked great at Sea Otter (muddiest, craziest trail I could have tested it on) and has worked everywhere else no problem.

however gears suck and I'm going singlespeed on it. Unfortunately this beautiful bike is stuck doing porch warming duty until I can afford a fork, brakes, and a crankset.

The Ito
The Ito,

I've used the N-Gear for the same purpose. The sucker is freakin brilliant.

Is the fork not yours? What are your thoughts on it? I'm in the market for a cheapo fork for my single and the blacks are all over the interweb.

I'm too lazy to check the rest of the thread. How is the ride? Is it much of an improvement over a quality build of 853/753/etc?

ito

Oct 3, 2003
reflux said:
The Ito,

I've used the N-Gear for the same purpose. The sucker is freakin brilliant.

Is the fork not yours? What are your thoughts on it? I'm in the market for a cheapo fork for my single and the blacks are all over the interweb.

I'm too lazy to check the rest of the thread. How is the ride? Is it much of an improvement over a quality build of 853/753/etc?
Fork works great, but is heavier than I would like. It is now with its rightful owner so my bike is sad. Looking at a Reba or a Fox. I can't say a Black would be a bad choice though.

Ride quality is amazing. Easy on the back side, stiff, light, great geometry for XC riding. I've only ridden one or two 853/753 bikes and I loved them, but they were never stiff enough it seemed like. This bike has a solid back end.

The Ito

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
What is the point of carbon stays? Bling? A little bit of flex in one direction but stiff in the other?

I would worry about cracking/scratching one of those stays in a crash or something.

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
bjanga said:
What is the point of carbon stays? Bling? A little bit of flex in one direction but stiff in the other?

I would worry about cracking/scratching one of those stays in a crash or something.
It's supposed to help absorb some vibration and flex a little as well as be lighter and look SWEET
nice bike:love:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Quick pics, I'll get nicer ones later.

Sub-24 right now. Will be lighter later on when I have money and time.

I'm very excited.

full bike

drivetrain

I'll be at Sea Otter, so if you see me be sure to say hello.

The Ito
So how's the bikey doing?