Quantcast

Steel Hard Tails?

Lenny

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Northern NJ
I'm a newbie so excuuuuuuuuuuse me if this has already been posted.
How many of you are real traditionalists and ride steel hardtails like me?
So far, I've had 3: Bridgestone MB-2, Bontrager Race (what a great bike), and my new custom Sycip (what an awesome bike)
I know you guys are out there cuz there are quite a few custom steel bike shops out there. And some one must be buying them to keep the guys in business.
If you have pix of your rides, please post.
Lenny

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Steel frames all...

Two Surlys, two Bridgestones, and an old Park Pre steel frame which is now a singlespeed. Yeah, we dig steel :).

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
one Bridgestone, pic in signature. Granted it's a poopy-ass frame but it rides nice. One of these days I plan to score an old MB-1 or Zip frame and transfer all the components over, they're all old-school XTR. Gotta find the money though.....

I've also owned an older steel Trek 930, which was my first "real" mtb, but it bit the dust a few years ago.

Lenny

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Northern NJ
Hey PsychO!1,
Who's doing the powdercoat on your Bonty?
I've considered doing the same for mine.
how much does it cost?
And are you keeping the orig color or changing it?
How bout the decals, where did you score them from?
Did you consider puting a clear coat over the decals?
Mine always started peeling off cuz of the constant rocks etc
hitting them.
Thanks for the info.
Lenny

Originally posted by Lenny
Hey PsychO!1,
Who's doing the powdercoat on your Bonty?
I've considered doing the same for mine.
how much does it cost?
And are you keeping the orig color or changing it?
How bout the decals, where did you score them from?
Did you consider puting a clear coat over the decals?
Mine always started peeling off cuz of the constant rocks etc
hitting them.
Thanks for the info.
Lenny
I had a local guy (Seattle area) do the powdercoat, he's an old retired guy who does it in his barn. About half the price of anyone else i've found. Original color was black, i did the frame in a metal flake orange (looks like the old team issue color) with a clear coat. $70, most other places i checked quoted around $140.

Decals i got from Bontreker:rolleyes: . I emailed Bontrager, and told them I was restoring the bike and asked where I could find decals. They sent them to me for free. I didn't get a choice of decal color, they just showed up. White panels with silver, I've heard that's all they have left, if they have ANY left.

No clear coat over the decals, they really weren't meant to be clear coated. The original Bontrager decals are very heavy duty (thick), and supposed to help protect the frame. I suggest not trying to clear coat over them.

It looks great!! Still parting it together. The cranks are being powdercoated to match the frame, should be done next week. I'm hoping to have it completed in couple weeks.

Lenny

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Northern NJ
Please post pix (p cubed) when it's done.
I'm wondering if I should have my Bonty done now.
First, I really have to look inside the tubes to see how much rust there is.
It was never treated with Frame Saver.
Lenny

Originally posted by Lenny
Please post pix (p cubed) when it's done.
I'm wondering if I should have my Bonty done now.
First, I really have to look inside the tubes to see how much rust there is.
It was never treated with Frame Saver.
Lenny
I'd get a hold of Bontrager NOW, and see if you can still get decals. They aren't making bikes anymore, so when they're gone, they're gone!!

Just hang on to them until you decide to paint it.

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
STEEL IS REAL!

I wish I had some pic's for you, still wish I had the two steel hardtails that Ive sold, I had a old Mountain Goat, and a 853 Kona Hot frame that was made in the Mountain Goat factory.
They were both great riding bikes, I will some day pic up a new steel frame to build up with some light weight parts to cruise around on.

monkeywench

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
movin' on...
Still riding my 1997 Specialized Rockhopper. Bought it new from my local shop in '98, when they were blowing out old models.
Still rides like a dream and it's great for a climber like myself.

Ahhh...the real feel of steel...

Also ride:
Scandium Kona Haole road bike
Marinoni steel road bike
Steel touring bike (Freddie Grubb)