Quantcast

Steel hardtail trail bike

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
Have searched the posts but can't find info on this; Need a steel hardtail that lends itself to trail duties well(both XC style and freeride up to a meagre say four footers). Should have a relaxed head of 69' ish (with a 5' fork) thus ruling out most dirt jumpers and a not-too-relaxed seat tube to allow seat up climbing etc without front wheel wander... Was looking at a Balfa Minuteman or a chromag - Any suggestions?

sad panda

Monkey
May 5, 2005
Well, stealheads are cheap and everybody has one, including myself. It's a sweet do everything bike with timeless looks.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
.........not clear on your budget (if you have one here), but the Evil Sovereign is a very sweet ride that easily blurs the lines of aggro XC --> FR duties. Very adjustable CS length & converts from gears to SS in a matter of minutes. :thumb: :heart: :D

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
Budget would be $250-$450. Just swung by the Evil website - Was only aware of the Imperial. That Sovereign costs a pretty penny aye? Does the fancy dancy 853 tubing, lower BB warrant $400 more? Didn't realise Imperials smelt the $400 range though- That DOC looks like the ticket-Cheers for the heads up Carpenter...

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I think Chromags cost much more than $450, last time I checked they were around $1200 canadian.

The Evils are cool, and also the Steelhead is very inexpensive, except it's heavy and I don't know how it does for XC riding, it's more of a jumper. If your budget were higher I'd suggest taking a look at custom builders like Sycip, Inglis/Rotec, Rock Lobster, etc. They can all make great steel frames but they cost around $1000.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
i'd say DOC i had one and it worked amazing for aggro-trail-light-freeride or what ever you want to call it. But if you want to spend the extra the sovereign is well worth it.

etal

Chimp
Jul 8, 2004
I always wanted a chromag or a dekerf implant but cannot justify paying over a 1000$ for a steel hardtail. Some more decently priced options I came across recently are the On-One 456 and DMR who have some interresting offerings as well.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
haggis said:
Have searched the posts but can't find info on this; Need a steel hardtail that lends itself to trail duties well(both XC style and freeride up to a meagre say four footers). Should have a relaxed head of 69' ish (with a 5' fork) thus ruling out most dirt jumpers and a not-too-relaxed seat tube to allow seat up climbing etc without front wheel wonder... Was looking at a Balfa Minuteman or a chromag - Any suggestions?
69ish with a 5" fork should not rule out most dirt jumpers. that is about where they aim (from what i have seen). i was going to suggest the norco supercross bikes. some are steel, some are alum. looks like the geo is steeper in the HA department than i thought.

check the transition trial-or-park. http://transitionbikes.com/TrailorPark.cfm

depending on your height, finding a bike that has enough seat tube for XC rides may be harder than finding a bike with the right HA. remember a 24" rear can help you with the head angle by 1* and they are easier to manual :D

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Azonic Steelhead is heavier, but still a bit lighter than a dual suspension.

I use a steelhead for XC and FR in the same day. Couldn't ask for a better bike for doing both.

I've ridden on a lot of aluminum hardtail frames. Even though the steelhead weighs more if rides like it weighs less than them. It pops higher off of jumps and drops, and flings around back and forth through twisty single track smoother too.

Some of the more expensive lighter steel frames are good, but they will tend to be less durable against dents in the tubing. The steehead rides just as good as any other steel frame and has perfect geometry. It can take more impacts to the frame due to being straight gauge instead of butted. A butted frame can be equally as strong for riding, but weaker against dents to the middle of the tubes.

I vote azonic steelhead amd then spend more money on other nice parts. The steelhead rides just as good as any high price bike, with the only difference being that it weighs more (which can't be noticed).

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
transition trail-or-park, 4130 chromo (yes....quite beefy at 7.9 lbs), quite bombproof and a great company to support. gets my vote...especially with a price of $399

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
what about a santacruz chamelon or something like that from what ive herd its an all around bike good for xc stuff and also good for freeride and all that good stuff.

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
Unrealcycles has a good few options. Plan to either wait for the DOC or try on a Voodoo Shambalala (or whatever she called). It has the same style adjustable/replaceable dropouts. Steelhead, yes, still in the running. I am basically morphing my 1st gen. Ruckus and my steel XC bike into one hardass beater.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
haggis said:
DOC it is. A fine company with a monster product. Just need to find a shop that has 'em...
I'm stoked on my DOC. However, it has a very relaxed headtube. I don't really enjoy riding on trails(it doesn't like going uphill the way i have it setup), although it does give you a lot of confidence when charging into something.

http://www.ihatebikes.net/evil_doc.html
I posted my initial impressions on my blog. i have yet to do an update, but i probably will soon.

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
Nice blog Jason. The relaxed head tube was one the reasons I liked the design though. I too was planning a 4" fork but your pic makes the bike look real slack... Any idea of the angle by touchy/feely measurements? 69 is the magic number I think translates to trail and jump dual duty...

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
Marzocchi's are known for their tall axle-to-crown lengths. I'm going to pick up an 06 Pike when they come out, should make it perfect for me. Fox shocks also have a lower axle to crown length.. if you like the slack head tube, you'll really like the bike. I'm happy with mine, I just don't use it for trail riding in it's current configuation..

i'm probably at a 68 degree head tube as is. Jonas at Evil will be happy to send you a spec chart if you ask him.

thanks for checking out my site.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
rpet said:
check the On One 456 too.

-r
Thanks for that reference. I got in on the preorders for complete 456s. They are supposed to arrive at the end of November. I am enough of a realist to know that i "bike company time," so it'll probably be December or January before I see the bike. :rolleyes:

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
What about the Soul Cycle hard tails? They don't give any details on material type or anything. I was looking at getting one of those because I like the looks and the company, just not sure what they're made of.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
haggis said:
That Sovereign costs a pretty penny aye? Does the fancy dancy 853 tubing, lower BB warrant $400 more?
the sovereign is made in the US and the doc is made in taiwan.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Oy Haggis, you filthy wank! You haven't found anything new yet, have you?

If not, give me a shout for the next time you come up to Seoul. My Imp may need a new home come springtime, and you're welcome to her. Japanese girl not included.

Jan 29, 2005
JimmyTwoTimes said:
What about the Soul Cycle hard tails? They don't give any details on material type or anything. I was looking at getting one of those because I like the looks and the company, just not sure what they're made of.
Soul Cycles uses aluminium (soon to be easton tubing on most models), if you wanted an aluminium bike, this would be the best choice for you. If you must have steel a chromag would seem like the best choice

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
By 'old small XC' frame I guess you mean cromoly. Either way, is the geometry sucks for trail-riding, they have no clearance for fat tires and they weren't built to be taken off ledges and the like. Seeing as I want to keep my newly replaced teeth in my head, I'll avoid this route...