Quantcast

Steel is Real...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Rusty!

Moving some stuff around in the garage and found this on the seatstay of my SSCX bike. Sad, but completely my fault as this thing was quite literally rode hard and put away wet; the final CX race of the season had us pedaling in a downpour through a short section that was flooded over the hubs. In hindsight, I should have shouldered the bike and ran around it. I was wet and cold and took the "I'll clean it up later" approach. Best laid plans, etc. etc. and here we are. The bike has already been replaced and is destined to just be a townie, so I'm on the fence about doing anything to it. On the other hand, I have access to both MIG and TIG welding rigs, and a bit of experience with both. So, do I clean it up as best I can and fashion some sort of patch to reinforce the stay?

PXL_20210703_172501073.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Looks like a fun lil project. I would bust out the sand paper and paint stripper. See what all is compromised then go from there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oof that sucks. Everytime I ride my Chromag in the wet I spray WD-40 into the frame and let it drain out. This is a pain in the ass so I am thinking of getting a winter hardtail.

I did treat the frame with linseed oil when new.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Looks like a fun lil project. I would bust out the sand paper and paint stripper. See what all is compromised then go from there.
Probably a good place to start. Looking at the blistering around the hole, it looks like surface rust under the paint that might have started with chips in the paint.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Oof that sucks. Everytime I ride my Chromag in the wet I spray WD-40 into the frame and let it drain out. This is a pain in the ass so I am thinking of getting a winter hardtail.

I did treat the frame with linseed oil when new.
I put some lanolin in a frame once, it made its way out of the rear breather hole and on to my brake rotor, took a while to work out what had happened.

My last frame was ED coated but because ze Germans didn't understand how bubbles work it didn't protect a few important bits, it did have a stainless BB shell though.
One day I will have a Reynolds 953 frame, one day.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
got any names? i remember reading about it not long after they started making the tubesets, verdict was its really hard to work with, almost not worth the effort.
Moorhun but it's printed, there were a few XC frames 10+ years ago, Form Cycles, Genesis, but now it's all road and CX.

1631281319106.png

22 Bicycles-
1631281429917.png

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Mostly small custom framebuilders are working with 953. Mostly on the road side of the spectrum. But yes, hard to work with, and some improvement in weight, and questions about ride quality (super stiff). iirc.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Columbus has a stainless tubeset too but there don't seem to be many people using it either.